Goddesses - do they need more embellishment?

This post has 24 Replies | 8 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
papercoyote wrote
on 7 Jul 2009 7:16 PM

I have been working on a three part art quilt that incorporates inkjet prints, patchwork, embroidery and handmade lace to hang above my bed (on a dark brown wall, orange paisley bedspread but not other colors or artwork)). 

I can't decide if these need more embellishment, or if I'll make them too busy if I add more. What do you think? Are these about done?

I haven't finished the final construction for these (you can see a few pins if you look closely) because the cream colored canvas backing is pretty heavy and I'd really rather not have to stitch through it, so want to finish embellishing first, then put all the parts together. Any thoughts or ideas you have about how I can finish these would be very welcome! Thanks, Michelle

Here's each one a bit larger -- if you like to see detail, you can see the full resolution photos on my flickr page here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/papercoyote/sets/72157620983247443/

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 7 Jul 2009 10:19 PM

Hi papercoyote. I personally really like these pieces as they are. The only thing I would do is put the piece with the 2 goddesses on it in the middle.

Love the colours and the subject.

Jody

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 145
KalGal2 wrote
on 8 Jul 2009 6:24 AM

I agree totally with Jody. I think these are stunning as they are but as she suggested the arrangement could be rearranged. Really nice work! Nancy

I always say that if ya can't fix it with duc tape ...Fix it with a hammer!!!!!  :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 8 Jul 2009 7:49 AM

Gee, I thought for a minute you were calling US "Goddesses"... and um... well, I kinda liked it. :D

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 35
QE2 wrote
on 8 Jul 2009 3:01 PM

I find these very appealing and concur with what has been said.  Very striking!

Elle

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Linnet wrote
on 8 Jul 2009 8:32 PM

Hi Paperacoyote, the quilts are spectacular, they look to be Tibetan, Buddhist or Hindu Goddesses, so the only thing I would add would be Prayer Flags.  The ones I have, from contributing to SaveTibet, are about 2x2 inches, they look like hand dyed paper, saffron, turquoise, red, dark green and one white one, stamped with metallic gold symbols.  They are each connected by a string and you would tie them onto the quilt, probably on one side at the top, so they could flutter in air movement.  Too many would detract from your beautiful work, but it would tie in wonderfully with your theme.  Really wonderful work.  If you didn't have an appropriate stamp, you could ink in with gold or silver ink.  Mine have obviously been hand-inked with different squiggly borders, flowers and symbols.  They are very small flags, so they wouldn't detract too much and their slight fluttering may be peaceful to you.  Linnet.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Linnet wrote
on 8 Jul 2009 9:03 PM

Whoa, Papercoyote, sorry for the typo in your username!  Now, if you ever DO paper a coyote, let me know and take pictures.  Sorry!  If you are interested in how the prayer flags are constructed, let me know, they are simple to make but seem to be made in a certain way so they hang right.  Simple string is all they used, but you could use colorful thread.  Sorry again for the typo, is kind of funny.  Linnet.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 115
smidgen wrote
on 9 Jul 2009 4:46 AM

I think that they look really great! The only thing that I would maybe add to spice it up would be some more gold needle work around the different figures since you already did basting stitches around them why not finish them off with a gold whip stitch base then build a embroidery picot stitch to make the frame  look finished? Just some ideas from the peanut gallery in Massachusetts.

Never Stop Creating

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 9 Jul 2009 6:14 AM

Papercoyote- I LOVE the use of doilies.  I have many of them and never know what I would do with them for embellishing.

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
CarolynBoyd wrote
on 9 Jul 2009 10:45 AM

When I ask myself that question, it can reflect a conflict between my eye, that is saying 'it doesn't look finished', and my mind (or maybe hands) that is saying 'I want to finish it now'.  I usually go with the eye since my mind will be in a different place later and my fingers will stop aching, but I will probably always see where I could have added the final bit.  Carolyn 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
papercoyote wrote
on 12 Jul 2009 6:19 PM

Jody -- thanks so much for your idea -- I agree that switching their position would work better. Thanks! - Michelle

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
Caroberk wrote
on 12 Jul 2009 6:31 PM

Have you considered tiny brass bells to hang from the bottoms or even in between the panels? Your work is beautiful!

Caroline

Caroline

All is well and all will be well

and all is most certainly well

Julian of Norwich

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
papercoyote wrote
on 12 Jul 2009 6:46 PM

Approachable Art:

Gee, I thought for a minute you were calling US "Goddesses"... and um... well, I kinda liked it. :D

It must have been my subconscious typing, because I do think of all of you as the quilting goddesses! And asking for help on-line this way and getting such great ideas back is a little bit like asking the Oracle at Delphi for advice . . .

Anyway, Thank you, Goddesses all, for your kind thoughts and help on this project. I'll post a final picture when I get it done and hung on the wall. THANKS! -- Michelle

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
papercoyote wrote
on 12 Jul 2009 6:47 PM

PS -- please keep posting ideas too -- it's never to late to add a bit to piece, even it I do hang it up on the wall! Cheers! -- Michelle

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
pandabolt wrote
on 13 Jul 2009 9:37 AM

I agree with Carolyn.  Usually, I already know the answer; I just don't want to hear it. :)

These are lovely pieces, but for me, they appear to need something more.   I"m not sure what, but I do like the idea of the bells.  I seem to be wanting something to dangle from the bottoms.    And personally, I would be adding beads for more texture in the pieces themselves.

There is something static about them. Now this may be what you are striving for, and in that case, then you shouldn't add to that.  But if you are wanting a more "active" piece, then consider shiva mirrors, or shiny beads, or copper or brass perhaps.  I guess that is what is missing for me....the addition of some unexpected medium. 

I might also reconsider the canvas as the background.  I can see that you need something so that your hangings don't get lost in that cool wall, but the stark white of the canvas may be too much.  I would audition several possibilities.  Perhaps you will find that the canvas is best, but I am thinking a coppery something might be a consideration.  Look for the same colors that you have used in the quilts, but in a lighter value and see what you think.

Please, don't misunderstand.  Your work is very lovely, but the addition of more stitching and texture will take it from predictable to "Wow.  I wish I had thought of that."  The trick will be to enhance the current design without distracting from it because what you have is very nice.

And remember that all comments come from my own personal perspective, and are not necessarily "right", just my own, humble opinions. :)

Peggy Holt

Missoula, Montana

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS