Stuck, stuck, stuck!

This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 28 Jul 2009 12:04 PM

I started this piece with some of my hand-dyes a couple of weeks ago, went like gangbusters on it for a while and now I seem to have fallen off the inspiration train with a splat. I just don't know where to go from here- if anywhere (I'm asking myself if the piece even worth it. Not sure, yet.)

The original idea was to do what I do- rely on very linear elements and stitching (which appeals to my need for order), combined with fraying edges, unexpected materials and colors, and high contrast (which appeals to my need for chaos) to inform the piece as it developed. I figured that eventually I would add some curving elements to help pull all of the individual linear elements into one cohesive story- but that's not happening. Right now, all I seem to have are objects floating in space that don't particularly relate to one another. The curvaceous chaos I want for the finished piece is hiding itself from me, I can't see in which form it should take or where it should be located.

And I think it's because I'm bored with this color palette, all of a sudden- or with this theme.

Any suggestions?

This is the entire piece.

These are detail photos...

... and...

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 95
Carole31 wrote
on 28 Jul 2009 12:41 PM

It is good.... you just have too much blank space... IMHO...

Add some more elements down the center of the blank space between the two yu have and move also to the left..

as in an L going the other way....

For what it is worth... 2cents...

Carole

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 28 Jul 2009 1:16 PM

Carole:

...an L going the other way....

This made me grin... I agree- that's just what this piece needs, an L going the other way. I'll start auditioning candidates tonight, thanks!

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 95
Carole31 wrote
on 28 Jul 2009 1:31 PM

OK... I wasn't sure about my explanation..ha..
I am looking forward to seeing what you do now.
Best with it!!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 51
MTRuth wrote
on 29 Jul 2009 9:22 AM

I think it would be cool to add a big circular element in the bottom left corner that overlaps your other pieces slightly. I was thinking circles within circles that you could add stitch to as opposed to a big solid circle. This would add the "curves" to your piece and give it a bit of punch. Perhaps in the dark teal color of the small element in the upper right.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 29 Jul 2009 3:03 PM

Ready to take the scissors to it. This little quilt and I did NOT get along today. Think I'll put it away for a little while and just leave it be. If it wants to grow up and be someting, it'll let me know.

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 275
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 29 Jul 2009 10:05 PM

I just call the things I put away "experiments" ! I love the colours in your "experiment" and hope you manage to get back to it.

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 30 Jul 2009 8:47 AM

LOL Dale, I like that way of looking at things, think I'll take your advice and put this naughty child to bed for a while. ;)

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 30 Jul 2009 4:10 PM

I love this colour combination and like what I see so far, although something is missing. When I can't make something work I will pin it up on my board and leave it for awhile. When I say awhile this can be anywhere from a several days to a year!!! (one quilt sat for even longer than that). If I put it away in a drawer I forget about it. If I hang it on my design board, I see it every day and eventually something in me triggers a solution. Good luck with finishing this quilt.

Jody

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
pandabolt wrote
on 2 Aug 2009 2:24 PM

My first reaction was also that it might like having some kind of circle or circles in that lower left half.  Basically, it feels like it is floating to you, because it is!  :).  My eye keeps going to the very center of the quilt and finding a blank.  That means you are missing a true focal point, so you need to create that somehow.

Try overlapping some elements.  Or use a piece of school chalk and draw some sweeping lines.  I've drawn a basic idea, although it's not exactly what I had in mind, it might give you a jumping off point.  You could add this element with stitching rather than another add on.  Carry your triangular stitching theme into it as well to help tie everything together.  This spot may not be where you need to add that final point of interest considering that the center is causing the void.

You have a really nice start here.  Right now it feels more like a background, so I really think it just isn't "cooked" yet.

You might try turning it upside down or sideways to get another perspective.  You may find that you like it better!

Really, though, it's coming along nicely and just needs to be allowed to develop with additions such as beads or buttons and one smashing element that overlaps physically to pull everything together.  Personally, I would look for a fabric or paper or whatever that has both of your colors in it.  You might consider rusting a piece of that beautiful turquoise and see if that would do it.  Or you might try painting some tyvek and distressing it to add texture, contrast and unification.

Keep at it, you have a great thing going.  And unless you have a deadline, there is no rule that says you have to finish it right now.  Who knows, QA or CPS may have a great article coming up that will be just what you need!

Here's the rough sketch.  I'm not too terribly adept with my tablet skills!

Peggy Holt

Missoula, Montana

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 3 Aug 2009 7:21 AM

Thanks, Jody. I've had so much great advice about this quilt and all of it makes a lot of sense. Putting it away for a while is the path I've chosen, for now. Who knows, it may call to me all week until I finally give in and rescue it from it's storage unit! Otherwise, I'm hoping that like fine wine, it just needs time to ferment. :D

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 3 Aug 2009 7:29 AM

Peggy, wow, what a great reply... and illustrations, too! I swear, the QA forum posters are the best. :D

PeggyH:
My first reaction was also that it might like having some kind of circle or circles in that lower left half.  Basically, it feels like it is floating to you, because it is!  :).  My eye keeps going to the very center of the quilt and finding a blank.  That means you are missing a true focal point, so you need to create that somehow.

Totally agreed. I love doing abstract work, but finding it's focal point if often the most challenging thing!

PeggyH:
Try overlapping some elements.  Or use a piece of school chalk and draw some sweeping lines.  I've drawn a basic idea, although it's not exactly what I had in mind, it might give you a jumping off point.  You could add this element with stitching rather than another add on.  Carry your triangular stitching theme into it as well to help tie everything together.  This spot may not be where you need to add that final point of interest considering that the center is causing the void.

I also agree that that area is where the piece is falling short the most. I love your sketch. <3

PeggyH:
And unless you have a deadline, there is no rule that says you have to finish it right now.  Who knows, QA or CPS may have a great article coming up that will be just what you need!

Another excellent point. LOL

Thank you so much for all your suggestions! I'll be revisiting this thread often before this piece is finished, to try and absorb what everyone's saying... it's wonderful to have folks I can turn to when a piece goes south, who can look at it and have ideas and solutions and NOT think, "Why so much angst over a piece of fabric that looks like a potholder?" lol

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS