shiva paint sticks

This post has 8 Replies | 7 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
on 29 Jul 2009 10:45 AM

Newbie here-Am in awe of the piece on the cover of QA magazine's August issue. Look I lot, but still haven't quilted anything! I wanted to try this technique. What are the best kind of fabric paints to use that are typically available at artist supply stores?

Also, have heard a lot about the Shiva paint  sticks, but these seem somewhat expensive, and also not available locally. I sthere something similar that can be used?

Thanks

wpro12

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 133
on 29 Jul 2009 11:15 AM

Hi Wendy

Yes Shiva's are expensive... is there anyone you can purchase with?  This is how I first bought them, 2/3 of us got together, and for the price of one stick we had three colours, cos we'd chopped them into thirds.  So the number of colours you get per price of whole stick increases, ie you need only pay for 2, but  end up with 6 colours.....

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 274
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 29 Jul 2009 10:08 PM

I don't have my August issue yet! Quit teasing me! (lol) But I do have shiva paintsticks that my husband got me for Christmas last year and some pfd fabric ....

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 30 Jul 2009 10:37 PM

Wendy, you asked about fabric paint, I think that there is another thread about that on the forum here.  Here is a similar thread: http://quiltingdaily.com/forums/t/791.aspx

Personally, I use Lumiere and Jacquard fabric paints. I also use Tsukineko all purpose inks a lot with the Fantastix.  I have been known to use acrylic paints especially metallics but that is because I don't wash my art quilts.  I don't use acrylics for screening with stencils but I use acrylics when I stamp or outline on fabric. 

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on 31 Jul 2009 10:58 AM

Thanks for the info! I really don't want ot spend much money until I see if i stick with this-I just need a little "playtime".

Another really basic question-what kind of cotton fabric would be good for a beginner to start with for fabric painting?

Thanks

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 166
on 1 Aug 2009 4:05 AM

I've had my Shiva paintsticks for years (!) and am just starting to let myself use them - and I would recommend not waiting.  The effects are great.  As to fabric paint, I have used Pebeo Setacolors for as long as I've been painting fabric.  They are wonderful just as paint, but with the added capability of allowing heliographic techniques.  When you put them out in the sun or under plant lights and lay things over the wet paint, the color fades UNDER whatever you've placed on the fabric as it dries.  You can get some very neat batik like effects without the resist. 

As to fabric, you can get PFD muslin quite inexpensively from either your local quilt shop or from Dharma Trading Company.  Just be warned, once you go to Dharma, you will find that you have to keep going back - it is quite addictive.  Here's the URL:

http://www.dharmatrading.com/

Kathleen

gallery

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 1 Aug 2009 7:23 AM

I go with bleached muslin almost every time. I love working with it in every stage of quilt construction.

Not sure I'd start coling fabric with paint sticks. Those are great, too, I love them, but they are messy and can be challenging to work with. I'd go instead to the textile paints. Jaquard puts out a very nice line, lots of colors, inexpensive when purchased in small pots, they blend nicely with some practice- a good starter tool.

Good luck!!

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 116
on 27 Aug 2009 10:29 AM

I bought a large selection of paint stix on ebay.  Found a great deal! 

Haven't found a fabric paint I didn't like.  All are fun and very similar. 

Gotta say, dharma trading is wonderful for all supplies!  I buy my fabric in the larger sizes, scenery muslin, wide fabrics are usually cheaper by the square foot than the traditional widths.   Another fun thing are their scarf blanks...great textures, patterns and materials.

Happy shopping and experimenting!

Barbara Triscari   ~Artsi Fartsi Triscartsi~ 

www.triscartsi.com       www.betoncat.com    www.Triscartsi.etsy.com     www.betoncat.etsy.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 133
on 10 Oct 2009 3:42 PM

I just found out today that the UK textile artist, Ruth Issett, has a new book out (as in very new, launched at the Knitting & Stitching Show which is currently on in London)  "Painstiks: Marvellous Markal - Sumptuous Shiva"

In case you don't know, here in the UK we know them as Markal.  Ruth Issett has several books out on colouring paper and fabric - I've not seen the latest book so can't comment on its value, just thought I'd pass on the information.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS