Free-motion is jerky

This post has 17 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Caribquilter wrote
on 2 Feb 2010 8:49 AM

Yes Barb, that is a great site, I immediately started practicing her daily exercises and boy does that help. She gives great tips and fun designs to exercise with. Thanks for passing the info to us. Myriam

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Vicki LA wrote
on 2 Feb 2010 9:51 AM

I find that I get more jerks if I can't easily move the fabric under the needle (if I'm moving all the quilt, instead of a portion of it)  Instead of rolling up the fabric, I "scrunch" it up so I'm not trying to drag the entire quilt back and forth.  Also fabric hanging over the edge of a table will creat jerks as it hangs up and is difficult to pull up. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
charmullen wrote
on 2 Feb 2010 12:35 PM

One of the biggest things we all do wrong while free motion stitching is pressing downward with our hands. You need a very light touch on your fabric. Fingertips only. This not only will make the fabric move easier but also relax those haunched shoulders and tension you are feeling in your neck. Remember to move the fabric with your fingertips and not the palms of your hands. Also make sure that the sewing bed has a clean surface, i.e. free of tape gunk, basting spray etc.

Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS