Gelatin Monoprinting Aug/Sept

This post has 5 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 21
Dawn B. wrote
on 25 Oct 2009 8:12 PM

I know I'm an issue behind, but a friend and I spent this afternoon with our gelatin plates, paint and fabric and had a wonderful time playing.  What we want to know is how Frances Holliday Alford made the star burst patterns on her plates.  We tried to duplicate it but weren't very successful. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 27 Oct 2009 3:40 AM

Glad you had a great time trying. I have the issue but have not had the time lately to do it.  Maybe someone else can help you with that pattern.

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Lindama wrote
on 27 Oct 2009 7:16 AM

I tried the painting ,and gelatin monoprint,  and then tried to free motion quilt on top

the paint was thick  and hard feeling, not soft to the touch,did I use the wrong kind of paint?

The directions don't say what kind of paint is used. Anyone has an idea?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 21
Dawn B. wrote
on 27 Oct 2009 7:42 PM

We started out using Golden fluid acrylics and they dried stiff.  When we switched to Pebeo Setacolor paints the fabrics stayed soft.  We learned a lot and are eager to try it again.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
on 8 Dec 2009 8:50 PM

I can answer that.  I put paint on the gelatin plate and lay the fabric on top.  Starting from the center, I pushed the paint outward in all directions.  When the fabric was lifted, the paint had formed the starburst pattern.  I further enhanced this with more paint and with quilting threads.  I am glad you like this.

Frances Holliday Alford

Frances Holliday Alford

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
on 8 Dec 2009 8:53 PM

If your paint was too thick, try using it more watered down.  I used a combination of paints, including lumieres, and other fabric paints.  I also used glitter glue from Michaels.  The images were emphasized later with fabric markers and other paint on brushes.  Seta Color and Tusinko Inks are also good choices.

Frances Holliday Alford

Frances Holliday Alford

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS