What method do you use to design a quilt?

This post has 6 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 87
arlijohn wrote
on 27 Oct 2009 2:07 PM

Just curious about how others work on design. I seem to have an idea come into my head and it just grows. Seems like I even dream the quilt , something pushes me to get started. I start putting fabrics on the design wall and slowly the design starts to develop. Does anybody else work this way?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 24
lheureux_art wrote
on 27 Oct 2009 3:43 PM

Somewhat.  I usually see the quilt in my head first.  I then do a fairly rough sketch, and figure out the dimensions and how much fabric I'll need.  I'll then choose a section and detail the patterns, and go from there.  As I work on the patterns, pulling and cutting fabric, the design sometimes changes.  But it usually doesn't stray too far from what I originally envisioned.

Michele Ann L'Heureux
Fiber Artist
Lancaster, California

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 87
arlijohn wrote
on 27 Oct 2009 3:48 PM

I sometimes sketch but I have that want to work intuitively mentality. If I sketch then feel I have to try to follow. I usually won't worry about yardage, just start pulling out of the stash, even for big work. If I run out of a fabric then I have to find something else which is interesting, sometimes maddening.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 166
on 27 Oct 2009 4:09 PM

I often start with a painted piece of fabric, and let it grow into what it wants to be.  My sketches are usually completely incomprehensible to anyone but me.  I guess you could call my design style organic.

Kathleen

gallery

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 87
arlijohn wrote
on 27 Oct 2009 4:30 PM

So glad to hear from you on how you work. I find it so interesting to hear how others come up with their designs. Her in my area, everybody follows patterns already made for them. I can't do that, there are so many ideas nside me wanting to be let out.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 905
Muppin wrote
on 28 Oct 2009 9:47 AM

I'm with you arlijohn.  I can't work from patterns, per se. 

I tend to make a sketch, and then free form cut into fabric with that idea in my head.

For larger works, I have taken my small sketches to the copy store to blow them up to the size I need.  Then I pin the paper design to the design wall, and pin fabric over the top of that. 

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 93
Bronwyn9 wrote
on 28 Oct 2009 12:58 PM

Hi there, I have an ideas book (I have so many ideas and not enough time to turn them into quilts) and a sketch book now. My sketch book is relatively new thing that I have started doing, and I've been amazed at how helpful it has been in formulating my ideas and getting a better picture of how my piece of work may progress and my vision of what it may look like. I am also amazed at how my drawing has progressed as I have become more confident at putting my creative visions to paper first. Of course it does not mean you cannot deviate from the plan once you move onto the construction process with fabrics and the sewing machine. The most important thing is to enjoy and love what you're doing

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS