Printmaking with fabric

This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
on 9 Nov 2009 9:37 AM

Hi -

Does anyone have experience with making prints on fabric?  I just finished an introductory printmaking class -- drypoint, intaglio, and solar plates -- where we used etching ink and a roller press.  Everybody printed on paper but I had to try printing on fabric.  Mostly it worked quite well, but now I'm wondering if I need to "set" the ink before using the fabric.  The ink is oil based, like the Shiva paint sticks, which is what made me wonder about heat setting.  The ink brands we used were Faust and Daniel Smith (this is not the same as the Speedball block printing ink  sometimes used for gelatin printing).

Thanks for your help.

Anne

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 890
Muppin wrote
on 10 Nov 2009 9:26 AM

HI Anne-

I'm not familiar with the brands you mention in your post, but I have been doing some screen printing with various water based inks and shiva sticks and I have always heat set my prints.  I would think you would want to do so for setting purposes and test purposes in case you need to iron the fabric during the project you use them with.

Cheryl / Muppin

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on 11 Nov 2009 7:05 AM

Thank you, Cheryl.  I had a couple of direct email replies also, and the general opinion seems to be: because the ink is oil based, let it dry thoroughly (just like Shiva sticks) and then heat set it.   I'm also going to try out another suggestion: using my printing plates (plexiglass) with fabric paints.

Thanks again.

Anne

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Angela R wrote
on 29 Nov 2009 3:52 AM

I have used oil based printing inks (from TNLawrence in Brighton UK) on fabric, once dry they are very stable, it might be a good idea to iron and wash them after a couple of days but I have had no trouble using dyes on top of the ink without that>

Angela R

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS