Hi from the beautiful island of St Martin in the Caribbean's

This post has 17 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Caribquilter wrote
on 9 Nov 2009 2:09 PM

Hi, I just joined Quilting Arts forum. I am a relatively new quilter, just finished my 2nd project and plan to show them online as soon as I get the how to.

I'm positive there is a lot to learn from all of you and I'm truly looking forward to be able to exchange views with some of you. Quilting art is unknown down here and I will enjoy the opportunity to chat about this passion we all share.

Looking forward to getting to know you and your masterpieces here in the forum, Caribquilter. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
firepie wrote
on 9 Nov 2009 9:07 PM

Greetings from St John in the Caribbean......I have been Quilting for about ten years now......moved from Hawaii and only getting my sewing room together after 2 years......making a quilt now just finished the blocks.......a nine patch out of batiks.......I do crazy quilting also......Love it.......Let's share our work.......if you come the Virgin Islands lets share ideas! Welcome to the quilt world!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 10 Nov 2009 9:31 AM

Welcome Caribquilter!  Enjoy the site, and feel free to ask questions! 

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Caribquilter wrote
on 11 Nov 2009 2:39 PM

Thank you Muppin. Now that you mention it I have one question right now. I just finished my 1st piece solo and I wondered how to protect the fabrics from light, air and dust. Is there a spray I could buy/order anywhere for that purpose?

Thank you for your reply and your time. I'd be interested to see what you create.

Tropical greetings, Myriam / Caribquilter

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 12 Nov 2009 7:44 AM

Hmmm... I don't use anything to seal my fabric work.  I know that products do exist for it to make fabric fire resistant, but not much about light or color fastness that I am aware of.

You could frame your piece, and that would protect it from the elements somewhat, but not all of them.

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Caribquilter wrote
on 12 Nov 2009 8:04 AM

Hi Muppin,

thanks for the tip. I thought I'd be able to find a fixator spray and simply spray the piece to seal it. I vaguely remember a product like that in the stores in California when I lived there. If it exists I'd have to order it online because it is not available on my island. And yes I could also frame my art it would be reasonably easy to do because it is a small piece.

Thanks again, Caribquilter

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 87
arlijohn wrote
on 12 Nov 2009 8:46 AM

Hi carib, Glad you are here. Quilters of all levels are here, makes it fun, because you get to see many different kinds of work.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Caribquilter wrote
on 12 Nov 2009 9:34 AM

Glad to be here, it is a wonderful site and I intend to use it often to exchange ideas and hear from other great quilters.

Good to have you on board too, talk to you soon. Caribquilter

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
Quilnan wrote
on 12 Nov 2009 5:54 PM

Welcome and enjoy the site. There is much to learn and share here. It will be interesting to learn with you as you get creative with materials. You'll dream up lots of new ideas as you "make do" with items to substitute for those not readily available in your area.

I'm wondering if the product you seek is something called Krylon Fixatif? It is an aerosol spray and sealant. I learned about it in an online group studying the book Stitch Alchemy. However, because it's an aerosol, perhaps shipping it to your locale would pose a problem?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Caribquilter wrote
on 13 Nov 2009 6:14 AM

Hi Quilnan, that's it I think that Krylon Fixatif, it definitely rings a bell. Shipping aerosol cans to this island should not be a problem, they are thousands shipped over here all the time to supply stores like Ace. I guess you're right: in the islands one gets inventive and creative simply because we have to make do with what is available and that does not bother me. I'm more concerned with protecting my machine and tools from the rust. Humidty and salt air are ennemies # 1 & 2 here. Someone suggested I make a machine cover with felt and sew a small pocket inside with silicum bags in it and I keep my scissors and other metal parts in ziplock bags. I'm now looking for a model/pattern to make such a cover, do you have any idea where I'd find something like that? Because even though I finished my 1st solo quilting art piece (and rather an ambitious project it was too) I have no idea how to sew a machine cover because I never used a sewing machine before other than to make my quilting art.

Thanks again for the tip, I'll be curious to see some of your pieces and to hear about your experience as a quilter. Keep well.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 44
anastasia7 wrote
on 14 Nov 2009 2:55 AM

Hello there,

I am Anastasia from WA state. I hope you don't mind my joining in. I am new to blogging so don't know the ettiquite.

I love your bio- what an advernture you have lived.

Regarding the sewing machine cover: if you google "free sewing maching cover pattern: you will find one to print.

Another simple option, since you are such a courageous seamstress, is to measure your machine top, sides, and bottom and just make a simple cloth cover like a box.

If you use a shower curtain or one of the flannel lined plastic table clothes to line it you can use a plastic to seal on the seams and the powder to absorb interior moisture.  You will be set- nothing will get in there. Like a rain proofed coat except it is for your sewing machine. At the moment I cannot remember the name of the stuff for around tubs and showers. But you can get it clear and it will seal the seams which will allow moisture in.

Good luck- and have fun.

Anastasia 

Live Large and Love Your Life!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 44
anastasia7 wrote
on 14 Nov 2009 3:01 AM

Obviously I am tired. I meant to say A life of Adventure.

Caulking is the stuff for around tubs and shower joints. You can use it for all sorts of things. I work in wholesale apparel so am aware of the use on waterproof coats. The seam coverage makes the difference between water resistant and water proof.

Good night.

Anastasia

Live Large and Love Your Life!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 87
arlijohn wrote
on 14 Nov 2009 8:54 AM

Having lived on the coast most of my life with sewing machine, I can say you do have to be concerned. MAKE a sewing machine cover and use it religiously. You can make a clear plastic cover which will help keep the elements at bay.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
Quilnan wrote
on 14 Nov 2009 5:37 PM

I think I found a machine cover pattern awhile back on About.com. Just go there and search for "sewing machine cover". There were illustrated directions for making one, along with how to plan the size pieces required. I have not yet made mine... but it's going to happen. The little "Veggie Face" in my avatar is going on the front. I made it in a class with Yvonne Porcella. Great fun. Nancy

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Caribquilter wrote
on 16 Nov 2009 8:23 AM

Arlijohn, someone told me NOT to make a plastic cover because it does not breathe and would not let the moisture out in case it seeped in all the same.

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS