What type of batting, stabilizers?

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Caribquilter wrote
on 12 Nov 2009 10:34 AM

Being new at this I visited some websites to order batting and stabilizers, the different kinds are staggering and I have no clue what to choose.

Anyone out there willing to give free advice as to what type of batting and stabilizers are mostly used by quilters? Knowing that I do not wash my fabrics, so dissolving with water won't "wash" and I'd rather not remove it with my iron either as I work with silk, organza and other fine fabrics that won't sustain heat. My pieces are small right now but I'll go over to making bigger designs but no patchwork or quilt for a bed for example so that my pieces will not be extremely heavy as I mainly use light fabrics too (I'd say batting for light to medium weight). Also, due to the nature of my quilts I'm looking for something that is rather stiff (for wall hangings) and another kind soft enoug to make the small gifts in the QA Magazine Gifts. As for stabilizers I'd like the kind that will unable me to position and reposition my pieces without a problem.

Thanks to all for your time, Caribquilter

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 87
arlijohn wrote
on 12 Nov 2009 3:59 PM

Hi Carib,

For a stabilizer of the type you are looking for Steam a Seam 2 is a good one. I also use sprays sometimes but some people have a problem with them gumming up the needle. There is a stiff fleece used instead of the old hat buckram that makes a good batting fo wallhangings, can't remeber the brand. Maybe somebody else will. If not I will look up what it is.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Caribquilter wrote
on 13 Nov 2009 6:46 AM

Thanks Arlijohn, I'd heard that name mentioned a few years back but did not know what it was exactly used for. That's where I'll go check. You quilting today?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 87
arlijohn wrote
on 13 Nov 2009 9:17 AM

Unfortunately no. I am having to get ready for a business trip to Las Vegas. Hope to get some inspiration while I'm there.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 251
cousette wrote
on 13 Nov 2009 11:21 AM

Hello !

I'm going to indicate some good and useful stabilizers (my favorite ones) :

-"fast 2 fuse" , which is a stiff stabilizer, like Timtex ,but with both sticky sides that need to be ironed.

- thin "iron fusible batting", very useful for small projects.

"cotton fix" stabilizer that allows to stick any sheer, synthetic or metallic fabric as well as silk without ironing ! you can keep it under your work, no need to tear it off. You can also reposition it. Great for crazy work, you just stick your pieces of fabric on that basis and stitch on with decorative stitches ! Another similar stabilizer exists in a more synthetic version, called "filmoplast". Sure you'll find these products fantastic !

- the "steam-a-seam 2" is also fantastic for appliqués.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS