loading up pictures

This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Caribquilter wrote
on 25 Nov 2009 8:33 AM

Have been looking for a way to reduce my pics' size. How do you guys upload your pics? I have a normal size camera but my pics are way to big for this site. I have resized them with a special program to just under 64K but they are now sooooo small that they're totally out of focus and there is very little to see ;and looking at them for more than a couple of seconds will give everyone a headache. What more/else should I do now?

Thanks for your tips.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
on 25 Nov 2009 9:48 AM

Hi. I reduce mine in Photoshop Elements, where I also edit, crop, etc. It's sort of a pain working with EVERY photo before posting it, but the quality just isn't that good otherwise. Also, I resize them in inches--standard is around 6x8, 8x8--but I rarely reduce the resolution to less than 150 ppi,  and I typically don't have a problem uploading them to any site. You can also batch convert in Photoshop Elements, which would probably allow you to reduce the resolution of a bunch of them at once.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
GoThreads wrote
on 26 Nov 2009 3:43 AM

I use a google program to handle all my photos called Picasa 3. It takes care of all that uploading and downloading resize stuff. It is free and it is a google product so you can trust it. When I plug in my camera card it opens and helps me upload from the camera. It store my pic's in dated folders and does all kinds of croping or editing.

Picasa 3 also handles photo when you email them and receive pictures thru email.

You just go into choose the pic and tell it to export to email and it will resize and keep the original in normal size on the hard drive.

Hope this helps

Karen

Karen

www.gothreads.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 467
okieLinda wrote
on 26 Nov 2009 7:13 AM

you can change your camera under menu but I make them big and think its better quailty , then whatever program you have must have a resize before you send them out :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 29 Nov 2009 1:58 AM

If you have a scanner, you can go into that program or any photo program that can resize and make it smaller.  It should be for web size or no bigger than 550 width max.  You should take picts or scan at 75 dpi or can take smaller items at 150 dpi.  Here is a website that can help with pixels.

http://tiporama.com/tools/pixels_inches.html#mondpi

Belinda

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Caribquilter wrote
on 30 Nov 2009 8:56 AM

Hi, thank you all for your great tips on pictures. It looks like the Pecasa program might be something to investigate, simply because it sounds so easy, and the possibility to reduce pics size on my camera is also a good one: did not know that. Honestly, I use all kinds of modern appliances, but I'm no geek. As long as I know how the basics work I'm good... except when I need to resize my pics then (ha ha).

Thank you all for your invaluable help, if one does not do the trick, I've got 3 other possibilities to investigate.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
lizzya wrote
on 30 Nov 2009 2:31 PM

There is also a program out there called Resize that will resize photos in bulk and it seems to work quite well for me if I am in a hurry.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Caribquilter wrote
on 11 Dec 2009 1:51 PM

Lizzya, thank you for your reply.  Will investigate that program. Basically I want something that will be fast and easy.

Happy holiday season, Caribquilter

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS