Hanging sleeve

This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
mtnjohn wrote
on 20 Dec 2009 12:21 PM

I have read about a half dozen articles related to hanging sleeves.  Although there are multiple differences there appears to be 2 basic types.

One is to attach the sleeve with (at the same time as) the binding.

The other is to attach the sleeve to the back below the binding after the binding has been completed.

My question is twofold.  Which type of hanging sleeve is preferred and why?

Thank you,

John

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 228
ckquilter wrote
on 21 Dec 2009 6:07 AM

dear mtnjohn

some people will stitch the sleeve top into the binding in order to only have to attach the sleeve bottom by hand. saves a bit of hand sewing, thus time.

i prefer to attach my sleeve so that it is NOT part of the binding. i don't want it to be part of the quilt.

also, attaching the sleeve into the binding only works on quilts with straight tops and standard bindings. if you are making art quilts, they don't always have straight edges , might be curved, in which case the binding is curved, and you can't stitch the sleeve into it. also, if the edge of the quilt is finished with a non traditional binding, like satin stitching, again, you cannot stitch the sleeve into it.          my quilts often have curved edges and nontraditional bindings, so it is better for me to have the sleeve stand alone.

also, i don't like the extra bulk in the binding that stitching the sleeve into it causes. and it is then different feel than the rest of the binding.

but it really is just your choice. unless you plan on exhibiting at a major show, in which case follow their rules for sleeves.                 ckquilter

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 903
Muppin wrote
on 21 Dec 2009 10:46 AM

John-

Another reason for not having the sleeve as part of the binding is that you do need to have a little slack in the sleeve so that any pole inserted doesn't distort the front of the quilt.  Sometimes that slack can pull the quilt down on the pole and the sleeve will show.  I opt for the kind I can place below the binding line.

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
mtnjohn wrote
on 22 Dec 2009 12:59 PM

Wonderful information!  This gives me much to factor into the decisions I make.

Thank you,

John

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS