My name is Laura and I'm an art-and-craft-oholic...

This post has 6 Replies | 5 Followers rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 22 Dec 2009 10:33 AM

Hi Everybody,

I just signed up and created a profile for the Quilting Arts Community and thought I'd say hello. I love to use any and all art and craft supplies in my work and my projects lean more towards the 'Cloth Paper Scissors' type rather than the 'Quilting Arts' type, only because I'm a little afraid of sewing machines. I don't get along with them very well, especially when it comes to the whole threading and bobbin making part. Hopefully that will change soon though because I'm finally going to take a sewing class in January so I can stop collecting fabric and actually start to put my stash to good use! If you'd like to learn a little more about me, you can do so at my website or my blog (addresses below). I look forward to meeting everyone and making some new friends!

http://thepeculiarpalette.typepad.com/home.html

Thanks,

Laura Fraedrich

www.thepeculiarpalette.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 22 Dec 2009 11:55 AM

Welcome Laura!  Good luck with your class and you can always play with fabric wihtout a sewing machine.  There's just so many options, for all kinds of media!

Have fun on the forum!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
Danielle wrote
on 22 Dec 2009 3:30 PM

Thanks for introducing yourself, and what a fun website you have!  You'll love the community here at Quilting Arts - so many fun projects and fun people that I suspect you'll really take to sewing once that fear factor is gone :)  Also, I noticed that you paint as well and thought you may be interested in our Artist Daily sister site: http://www.artistdaily.com/  I'm sure they'd love for you to share some of your gallery work out there as well.

Looking forward to getting to know you and your work!

Danielle

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 28 Dec 2009 3:27 PM

Welcome to the community!  I was like that just a few years ago. I was not the sewing type either.  My eyes still glaze over when they discuss thread type and how the fabric lays and bindings.   If I can master how to thread a sewing machine, then you can. It is not very hard at all.  I still break needles all the time and I am sure that I don't use the right needle for what I do every single time, but I get along just fine.  I don't get tangled up very often.  I am saving up for an upgraded machine actually. My machine is not able to handle the amount and type of art quilting I do on a regular basis.  I initially tried taking a traditional quilt making class online. I got as far as cutting the  fabric  into various shapes. I never did put the quilt together. The pieces of fabric ended up going into different art quilts.  If you think of your fabric as pieces of paper and your sewing machine as your adhesive, it is not so different. The adhesion process is a little different but you can do so much more. I love the textures and colors that I can achieve with fabrics that paper cannot give me.  I also combine paper and metal into my art quilts.  I used to think that there were quilt police that would come and get me or that I would be laughed at.  I found out that neither happened.  I don't nearly half as much with paper as my substrate now as I do with fabric. 

It might help to start small. Do inchies, postcards, or ATCs.  I still do a lot of mixed media art quilts where I do a combination of several materials including paper and acrylic paints.  The use of fabric does not exclude other materials.  Most of all, have fun.

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
Quilnan wrote
on 28 Dec 2009 6:13 PM

Enjoyed your website and blog very much... esp. the Festive Ferrets and the Kitties on your art doll page. You are certainly multi-talented. Keep sharing your work... and don't let that sewing machine scare you.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
sunnydyes wrote
on 9 Feb 2010 10:27 AM

Hi-

Hey, a kindred soul! I took sewing in high school, and after sewing a patch by accident to my uniform skirt, the teacher suggested I take typing instead! I also tried sewing a "bubble suit" for my daughter, and by the time I finished it, she was way too big for it! Sewing machines & me just don't get along. Which is funny since my daughter is a seamstress & is working on her portfolio to try out for Project Runway!

I'm also more towards ClothPaperScissors since I love mixed media/fiber arts (and paint fabric for needlework) , but some of these quilting projects are just so beautiful I'm tempted to give them a try!

Nice to meet you!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 321
on 9 Feb 2010 12:19 PM

Hi Laura! So glad you've joined. Don't worry, you will conquer your sewing machine fears--and we all had them at one point. There's plenty of stitching inspiration on this site so I hope you enjoy it!

Pippa

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS