ink jet photos in quilts

This post has 8 Replies | 7 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
susancoll101 wrote
on 2 Jan 2010 8:50 AM

I was given a quilt with pictures of the family in blocks.  I need to know how to clean it.  If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 24
Lorraine62 wrote
on 2 Jan 2010 2:37 PM

I think there is a product called bubble jet which makes the inkjet print washable but I am not sure. I would be interested to know what products UK members use to print on fabric. before they put it through the inkjet.  I dont know where they sell bubble jet in the UK.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 906
Muppin wrote
on 2 Jan 2010 9:55 PM

I would ask the person who gave you the quilt what method they used to transfer the photo to fabric and for their advicein cleaning the piece.

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 133
on 3 Jan 2010 3:41 AM

Bubble Jet Set is a pre-treatment of fabric, used before you put fabric through an ink jet printer.  I have used it, a long time back.

Pre treatments also include InkAid and Golden's Digital Ground.  Google.co.uk will often give you different results from choosing google.com (even ticking the UK option box).   Art Van Go is well known for a huge variety of supplies, think they might have BJS, certainly used to sell it.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Heidi Rand wrote
on 5 Jan 2010 9:48 AM

My understanding is that Bubble Jet Set contains formaldehyde and may not be easily available in the UK, but I could be wrong about that (about its availability, not about the fact that it does contain formaldehyde). 

Anyway, Susan -- I'd try wetting a corner of the fabric to see whether the inks run. If not, gentle hand washing with baby detergent, or dry cleaning, would probably be safest, although gentle machine washing in cold water might be fine.  If the inks do run it's going to be difficult for you to clean it.  You'll need to get the excess inks out of the fabric or they'll start to run even from exposure to moisture over time.  You could try spraying with ScotchGuard or a similar product.  There was a product called QuiltGuard (maybe QuiltGard), but I haven't seen it for sale for a long time.  You could also soak in a product called Synthrapol, which attracts the excess inks so they don't ruin the pattern of the print.

Heidi

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 468
okieLinda wrote
on 6 Jan 2010 9:05 AM

I made my Mimosa quilt with that and it depends how and with what it was made , with some you  just have to accept you cant laundry it , but mine seemed to be set in good and I sold it with the instructions to dry clean it or wash it out in the bath tub and lay it out on a blanket till it drys, their really isnt any guarentees on all that so many things come in play ,product, process, fabrics , try a corner first and just see what you get, I suspect that you will lose some color each time at least no matter what you do so laundry when necessary only, Love it no matter how it comes out and Good Luck Linda

Not Ranked
Posts 1
bigjeans419 wrote
on 23 Feb 2010 4:40 PM

just throw it in the washer and dryer I make picture quilts all the time and I use bubble jet I love it

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 78
on 25 Feb 2010 6:47 PM

Definitely check with the person who made it because I know of many people who simple print on untreated fabric and spray it with a fixative to make it water-resistant but not waterproof. The thought is that art quilts will not be laundered. If you were to wash one that was not pretreated with bubblejet set or used prepared fabric, you'll have a big disappointment! Best to be sure. Testing a corner would be a good way to check it out as well. But I'd avoid assumptions myself. Kelli

Art. Just Do It.

Blog: ephemeralalchemy.blogspot.com

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ceedee wrote
on 12 May 2010 12:00 AM

Most quilts may be simply vacuumed.  Of course, this would not be a preferred method if small items have been attached, etc.  If it is pieced without any attachments stitched onto the surface I'd start with a quick vacuum myself.  

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS