Crazy Quilt Patterns, techniques, etc

This post has 4 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
on 9 Jan 2010 3:01 AM

Hi All,

Just joined this wonderful community.  I am dying to make a crazy quilt.  I've seen many and the way one can embellish these quilts looks endless..................BUT!!!   I don't have any patterns, don't know where to start looking even.  I don't want to purchase a book on the subject until I've made one and am sure I like the technique.  Can anyone lead Me to a source where I can find this information.  If anyone has a patternto share, I'll pay any fees.   Anyones prompt answer is greatly appreciated......You know, itchy fingers and all...lol.

Respectfully and Hopefully,

Anita Thomas,

anitaskev@aol.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 219
ckquilter wrote
on 10 Jan 2010 4:10 AM

hi anita

before buying a book, you can always check out the library, and/or ask your friends if  they have anything you can borrow for awhile.

another place to start is by using the decorative stitches on your sewing machine. with rayon, silk or metallic thread they could be beautiful on a quilt.

most of the stitches on the crazy quilts are actually embroidery stitches - so you can look thru your books for those.

i have not checked online - but you can probably find some sources for embroidery stitches online. maybe try martha pullen's website?

ckquilter

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 467
okieLinda wrote
on 10 Jan 2010 8:51 AM

a good place to start is looking at old ones , maybe a antique shop or images on google but thats the way I did it was just looking at quilts until I understood what they were doing and then took it to what I wanted to do , Ive seen some amazing piece done a hundred years ago , you dont have to reinvent the wheel , just make it your own , the desire you have will make all the differance  good luck

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
Quilnan wrote
on 11 Jan 2010 7:43 AM

I would suggest doing a web search for "how to make a crazy quilt". Sites like e-how or even YouTube have instructions and tutorials that can help. You'll probably find ones that tell how to sew the randomly shaped pieced to a foundation square of muslin, if that's what you need. And, as others have mentioned, you'll also find embroidery sites that illustrate how to do the fancy hand stitching and embellishments.  Might your library be a good starting point also? I was surprised to find how many quilt titles are in our local library collection, or available on loan from other libraries. Good luck with your project.  You're likely to find it so absorbing that it's hard to know when to stop sitching and embellishing! Nancy

Not Ranked
Posts 2
craftybear wrote
on 15 Jan 2010 4:02 PM

http://www.caron-net.com/classes/classmayfiles/clasmay1.html

I just did a search "how to make a crazy quilt" and found lots of them.  I posted a link above. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS