batting ... again

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Caribquilter wrote
on 2 Feb 2010 8:16 AM

Hi everyone, using all my free time to quilt so I don't have much time to get on the forum. But I'm kind of between projects and I'd like to ask one question: what is the best kind of batting to use to make evening purses and small handbags? I bought Timtex but my feeling is that Timtex is good for hangings and might be a bit too stiff for purses, what do you think?

In the meantime I've finished my machine cover: I bought thick plastic table-cloth lined with thin layer of fleece to which I added a layer of felt, then I caulked all the seams, I live in the islands and humidity and salt are my machine worst ennemies. My machine has a hard plastic cover, now covered by my own machine cover and I keep several small packs of that stuff against humidity inside, on the machine, no half measures here because I noticed the 1st signs of rust on the machine after 3 months.

I've made a couple of small projects too that I got from QA: the business cards holder, I fell in love with those made for QA so I decided to make one for myself, and when I'd finished it I thought my husband might like his own personal holder too so I made one for him too. Now I'm gearing up towards a hanging that has been bubbling inside for 2 months, what an endless fun.

Thanks for your suggestions, Myriam 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 888
Muppin wrote
on 2 Feb 2010 8:48 AM

HI Caribquilter-

I moved your thread to the General Discussions section where you may get more replies.  The Help forum is for problems with the website.

As for your question, It depends on how soft you want your purse sides to be, but a light weight cotton batting might be soft enough for you.

It's good to hear that you finished your machine cover!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
Caribquilter wrote
on 2 Feb 2010 8:56 AM

Thanks Muppin, did not realize that was for website probs. As to purses, I'll start with a soft purse and might go over to a bit stiffer for evening purses.

Myriam/Caribquilter

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS