Magic Markers and Quilts??

This post has 12 Replies | 6 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
drywatergal wrote
on 4 Feb 2010 11:24 AM

Has anyone ever put together a lot of 1 inch squares in a quilt, only to find you don't like one or two of the fabrics?  Could the color be changed on a few squares using magic markers?  I really don't want to have to change out those few squares.  Thanks for any help! 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
dulciquilt wrote
on 4 Feb 2010 11:35 AM

look for pens made for fabric. Regular makers can bleed and the color often changes or develops a brown ring

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
drywatergal wrote
on 4 Feb 2010 1:03 PM

I will order some online and try that.  Thank you so much for the help.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 890
Muppin wrote
on 4 Feb 2010 3:37 PM

Yes, what dulciquilt says... regular markers can also have chemicals that could break down the fabric over time.

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
drywatergal wrote
on 4 Feb 2010 4:27 PM

Thank you both.  I hadn't thought of there being something in the markers that could break the fabric down.  Sure don't want to have that much work in something only to have it ruined.  I appreciate the info. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 225
ckquilter wrote
on 4 Feb 2010 11:37 PM

hi drywatergal

as the other responders said, it is very easy to change the color of part or all of a fabric - even after it is quilted. there are several good fabric markers available - fabrico comes to mind. you can also use the tsukineko ink - but it is more difficult to control on a quilt - and should be heat set - which can be a problem, depending on your batt.

i have also used the shiva paintsticks to alter a fabric color - and i love the effect of the metallics on dark fabric.

there are also gilding pens available - in several colors (gold/silver/bronze) that can be used to alter the color or add highlights.

i used to be leery of buying colored fabric with white in it - it diluted the color for me. but now i look at it as an opportunity to make the fabric fit my quilt even better - because i can change the white to any color i  want to make it work even better with my other fabrics.

or if there is a light spot in the fabric that is too pale, i get out the markers and just make the color deeper.     but do try and stick with a marker made for fabric.                        ckquilter

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
drywatergal wrote
on 5 Feb 2010 3:26 PM

Fortunately I'm working with the top only, haven't quilted it yet.  Ordered the fabric pens today.  Will be anxious to see how this turns out.  Could be interesting just to see where these little fabric pens might lead.  I'm actually a bit excited about getting to try something new.  I always think things work out the way they were meant to, so this is a positive experience. 

Thank you to all!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 139
reginabdunn wrote
on 7 Feb 2010 4:25 PM

I have been doing a lot of fabric painting lately. I use fabric paints and have been very pleased with the results. You can probably find examples and demonstrations on YouTube. I have used a book called "Off the Shelf Fabric Painting". It has many different ways to use the paint with photos of the results of each technique. Once the painted fabric is ironed, the paint is permanent.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 11
csmucker wrote
on 7 Feb 2010 9:41 PM

I've used Createx paints on fabric.  They can be found in either art supply stores or on the internet at their own site. They are used like acrylics and then ironed to heat set them.  You might have more control of your colors with paint than markers.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
drywatergal wrote
on 8 Feb 2010 8:58 AM

It seems this "oopsie" is opening the door to many opportunities to explore and grow.  You ladies must be trying to turn me into a fabric artist!  I've decided to allow this project to be a learning tool.  I intend to try both fabric pens and fabric paint and play with it to my hearts content.

Thank you all.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 302
on 8 Feb 2010 12:30 PM

I would also suggest tsukeniko inks, which can be applied with a felt marker-like applicator, and become permanent when heat set. They are great because they do not change the hand of the fabric.

Art Director, Quilting Arts Magazine

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on 17 Feb 2010 1:54 AM

I appreciate your suggestion.Really I used this ink and it does not change the hand of the fabric.

Colon Cleanse

How to get pregnant

Not Ranked
Posts 2
mswheels wrote
on 17 Feb 2010 10:13 AM

Don't fret to much over fabric you don't like in the quilt.  Once the piece is finished no one will ever notice!!  The pieces will give the quilt personality. 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS