Ocean Wave Wall Hanging Art Quilt...

This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers rated by 2 users
Not Ranked
Posts 4
auraquilts wrote
on 26 Feb 2010 9:58 AM

This is a recent project I completed for my mother.  You can also see my entire web posting about it at :

http://auraquilts.com/archives/305

This was the first quilt block that I hand pieced for my mother’s quilt.  I hated the fabrics combined so I set it aside for over three years thinking I would never use it, throw it out or use it as scraps at some point.  I’m glad I kept it.  One day I came across it and thought it would be a great scrap piece to practice free motion quilting!  I added a layer of batting and a bottom layer of white muslin, basted it with safety pins and started free motion quilting. 

I didn’t really have an intention of making anything of it but just to practice and have fun on the machine with free motion.  One section I stippled, two others I made long spiral loops and the fourth I made an ocean wave with loops. 

After binding the block I thought it looked very empty!  I had never done beading before in my life so I got out my very first beading video and beading book, studied them thoroughly and finally went to town on that baby!  

I discovered that I LOVE BEADING!!!!   WOW IS IT FUN!  It actually scary how much I like beading because now I am afraid that every single project I complete from this point forward will be encrusted with beads! haha!

Here’s some photos of the block.  It is 12″x12″.

I used two different types of beads - a small green glass bugle bead and a clear blue seed bead.  I have no idea how many I used but it was alot.  Maybe I should have a contest to guess how many beads there are on it!  Sadly, I’d have to have my mother count them and I wouldn’t torture her like that.  haha  But it’s certainly a good idea for my next project! 

I made two loops at each top corner so she can hang it on the wall easily.  I thought that I may have to re-enforce the backing due to the weight of the beads but it seems pretty stable with the batting.  If my mother calls to say that the beaded loops broke and it fell to the floor, then I will fix it but until then, I am not worried.  ;)

If I had the patience I would encrust my mother’s entire Queen sized quilt like this but I think it would take me 20 years to complete it!!  I spent three weeks beading this baby after work and on weekends and it was non-stop work at that.  But to me, there is nothing better than putting on a good movie and beading away!

I could have put another backing on the block to hide all the bead stitches but I liked showing them off.  It may be “ugly” or “not neat” but I think it shows the hard work and true character of the piece!

Thank you for reading and Happy Sewing!!

-Audra at AuraQuilts.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 52
Laura54 wrote
on 26 Feb 2010 10:33 AM

WOW!!!!

I think your mother will be very proud of this, it's wonderful!

I

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 900
Muppin wrote
on 26 Feb 2010 4:46 PM

Audra-

It's beautiful!  Your mother will surely love it!

Cheryl / Muppin

Not Ranked
Posts 2
irislogic wrote
on 28 Feb 2010 3:02 AM

This is amazing work auraquilts! I can sew fine, but I have absolutely no patience for beading so this is just mind-blowing to me!

hot tubs          ventrillo

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 95
Carole31 wrote
on 28 Feb 2010 6:45 PM

This is absolutely beautiful!!

And what patience you have....

Not Ranked
Posts 4
auraquilts wrote
on 4 Mar 2010 2:27 PM

Thank you all for your nice comments!!!!

Happy sewing!

Audra at AuraQuilts.com

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS