My goddess series, and hello!

This post has 20 Replies | 7 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 23 Mar 2010 5:34 PM

This piece is fantastic! What a natural talent you have. I can't wait to see how the quilting brings them out even more. I know it can be scarry to quilt something that already looks so good.

I would recommend taking a scrap that is assembled in the same way (fusible web) with similar amount of layers and the same fabric. Try a few different needle types and the thread you want to use to see how all the elements react together.  I am a fan of embroidery and sharps machine needles for freemotion and thread painting. Try these and a couple of sizes (75/90) and see how they work with your thread, etc. 

You should also consider maybe stabilizing the piece with stabilizer depending how much quilting you are planning on doing. I often just rely on my batting and backin for stabilizing, but if I am doing really heavy quilting I will stabilize with a leave-in product. Again test this on your test-piece to see if you experience warping. Trust me........I am speaking from some disasterous own experience because I was just too exicted to test when I first started doing free-motion.

Good luck and please post the finished piece. 

Jody

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 79
Lana Book wrote
on 26 Mar 2010 7:26 AM

Wow!! You have a natural talent for color and design. Like someone else said you could use inks or Micron pens which won't bleed on fabric to draw your faces, or hand embroidery them. When I applique small pieces I usually use something like Wonder Under and follow the manufactures directions. I apply the wonder under to the fabric first and before peeling off the paper back I draw my design on the paper back and cut it out then peel the paper off each piece and apply to the background fabric, again following the manufactures directions. I love the goddess theme and your blend of fabrics really make them pop.  Frida Anderson has some wonderful applique techniques using wonder under you can find in her books, I believe from Interweave Press.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
zoe cro-z wrote
on 5 May 2010 7:05 AM

Wow!!! Very impressive!!!  You definitely need to get a sewing machine with a satin stitching function (zigzag) to finish the raw edges of the cut fabric pieces and also learn free motion quilting.   Wish you the best.  You're on the right track.

Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 6 May 2010 5:38 AM

so beautiful  --  you're an inspiration to me (who is a wee bit scared to just let loose and cut into all that beautiful fabric I have on my shelves)   

As for quilting your series, the last free-style quilt i made was just not feeling right until i started adding the thread, then all apprehension about the piece fell away and i'm pleased.

Check out Susan Carlson work and book  called Free Style Quilts, if I remember correctly (she's actually featured in the April/May 2010 issue of Quilting Arts)

Have Fun!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
Quilnan wrote
on 7 May 2010 7:13 AM

Your work is wonderful! Imaginative, expressive, colorfully appealing. Your instincts for color and fabric, along with ability to envision and design the various elements of your pieces is amazing. Well done! The idea of tulle popped into my mind as I read your story of the quilts, too. So that might be worth a try. And a machine... definitely get a machine. I'm glad you channeled those creative urges into quilting after waiting since middle school!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Kat Allison wrote
on 7 May 2010 7:58 AM

You are too good at this to worry about using a sewing machine.  Go get a little workhorse machine to practice on and then "ride boldly, ride".  After 45 years of art sewing I can tell you that there aren't many mistakes that can't be fixed and every mistake teaches you more than the triumphs do.

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS