Business cards or postcards or both?

This post has 14 Replies | 10 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
jane davila wrote
on 14 Mar 2010 2:56 PM

How many people have just postcards or just business cards and how many have both? and why? I have regular 4 x 6 postcards, standard business cards and mini Moo business cards. I need to re-print all three and am wondering if there's anyone else who is as "covered" (or as crazy, lol) as I am in the paper representation department.

I don't go anywhere without at least business cards in my purse and with Chicago's Festival around the corner, stocking up seemed like a good idea. Where do you all stand on the issue? What kinds of things do you list on your cards? Web address and real address? Phone number or just email address? Do you go minimal on the information or try to cram it all in?

I'm also determined to get around to loading photos of my work onto my iPhone, for spontaneous sharing and marketing opportunities.

Jane

Jane Davila

editor, Quilting Arts In Stitches emagazine

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 14 Mar 2010 7:15 PM

I'm a big fan of Moo cards (mini or business size) because of the quality of the cards and the fact that you can mixx the artwork, so you aren't stuck with 100 cards that are all the same.

I find that postcards as a giveaway or "business card" is good because it's larger than what most people will collect at a show short of a flier, but also bad for that same reason if it's all you have and everyone else is using business cards.

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 17 Mar 2010 8:53 PM

I used to send out Moo cards but don't do those any more.  They still get traded a lot.  Artists use them a lot for trading and swapping.  They are a bit smaller and tend to get lost more easily.  If you want to just have your name and email address, then the Moo card is sufficient.  I used those for art retreats and they worked well in that situation.  I had a lot left after that art retreat and put them with my swaps because of their size.  I really had no other use for them.  I think I still have some from a few years ago.  I think business cards are best if you are representing yourself as in any type of business capacity even if you are an artist.  There is room to put your address and other important information that the other person will need.  I find that post cards are good for when you have samples to attach to them.  Postcards offer a nice sized picture of your artwork with a physical sample.  Besides mail art, I most often associate postcards with galleries and shows.  I like postcards because you can really get a good picture that represents your style of art - gets your message across.  What I do when I use the sample is keep the postcard and write down what the sample was or the information so I remember for the next time I need that item.  I think I will remember but I never do.

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
jane davila wrote
on 19 Mar 2010 8:32 PM

I love the mini Moos for just that reason, they are a really nice quality. I think I'll try their regular size business cards next time.

jane

Jane Davila

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
jane davila wrote
on 19 Mar 2010 8:36 PM

Fantastic idea about including a card with swaps and about recording info on the backs! I was thinking about trying some bookmark sized cards too, about 1.5" x 6", especially if I can include one with a sale of one of my books.

My daughter uses the mini Moos as hang tags on her etsy merchandise and they look so much nicer than hand written string tags.

jane

Jane Davila

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Pamela70 wrote
on 22 Mar 2010 7:01 AM

I am a new subscriber and just getting my business up and running. 

Can someone tell me "what are Moo cards"? 

Looking forward to many chats.

Pamela

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
jane davila wrote
on 22 Mar 2010 8:30 AM

Pamela:

There's a company in the UK, that also recently opened a branch in Rhode Island, US, called Moo (website is moo.com). They print business cards, postcards, greeting cards and other things and the quality of the paper and printing is exceptional. They make a card called a mini-Moo that is about the size of a stick of gum and at various events where artists meet (like Quilt Festival), people trade mini-Moos like crazy. The very best thing about their service is that you can get 100 cards printed and get a different image printed on each card for no extra fee. Many artists in many media use their cards in really creative ways. If you go to their website you can sign up for their moosletter which they send out about once a month and it has fantastic marketing ideas in it.

The company is clever and hip and creative, their packaging is witty and their products are wonderful. I like them, can you tell? :)

jane

Jane Davila

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 44
Carol DK wrote
on 22 Mar 2010 1:54 PM

I am deciding as well, what would be the best.

I like the idea of the mini moo cards, saw those just the other day.

I still think business card size is really the best for passing at business events. I keep all that I collect in an organized cardholder so I can find who and what I want quickly.

I ordered a video from Lyric Kinnard and she sent three post cards with, it was wonderful.

I guess they all have their uses and you were really smart to keep all three. 

Let us know how it works, please. I would love to know, even though I think I will be ordering a supply of each, too. 

;D

carol k

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 44
Carol DK wrote
on 22 Mar 2010 1:57 PM

And, I wanted to say that your idea of a book mark sized card to send with your book is a super idea. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 133
on 22 Mar 2010 4:45 PM

I think its a good idea to make your own business cards for a while... I did this for financial reasons to start with.  It was easy to do using templates, and printing off on card, I didn't even buy the "made for purpose" business card sheet with perforations.  I'm glad I went this route to start with as my cards changed many times, with what to put on them, which phone numbers, what to call myself even, Artist, Textile Artist - currently I'm a Mixed Media Artist!  Also I have 8 letters in my first name and 7 in the second, that fills up quite a space on a portrait format card!  so lots of jiggling with what is the right size and right font to be readable, and should it be portrait or landscape....

At least I needed only to print off one page full at a time.  so, by the time I was ready to think of the expense of, and actually could use the number of cards, I was settled with what to put on them.  I too have the Mini Moo cards which I love, I have ocasionally used them as price tags on 3d items, tied with nice ribbon, they look good.  I also bought regular sized business cards from one of these "pay the postage only" offers and used one of their designs, just adding my details.  I got so many via the offer, that I'm much freer with parting with these, using them as labels etc.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
on 23 Mar 2010 7:44 AM

I love to use my Moo Cards.   I have used the small gum sized ones as elements in collage pieces.  I make a lot of multimedia postcards and I often glue or stitch one to the larger card.  They are just fun.  Also, I enjoy watching friends play with them while they try to choose one or two to keep.

Frances Holliday Alford

Frances Holliday Alford

Not Ranked
Posts 9
SandraB. wrote
on 23 Mar 2010 8:59 AM

I use business cards because they fit into the biz size card holders and are easy to contain, keep and find when needed. I use post cards as hang tags...lots of room and easy to print at home...necessary if I should run out of pro-printed cards. I also use post cards as mail because they are less expensive than envelopes and envelope stamps.

I'm running a farm business, including fleeces and woolen products, in addition to my, fledgling, fiber/textile art so have found using both sides of business and postal cards give me twice as much for my money. When I use Vista Print, no affiliation, I receive free business cards, again, giving me twice as much for my money. They allow me to upload my own photo or artwork as well and, because the back side of the card is used, there's no Vista Print name on the back, simply my information.

I don't use fliers as they tend to be expensive and information changes far too rapidly to make them cost effective. Made that mistake once and, for my situation, fliers just don't work.

Until your post, I wasn't familiar with Moo cards and will comparison shop; thank you.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
WEPA wrote
on 23 Mar 2010 9:02 AM

Thanks for this posting...I'm a mixed-media artist on the threshold of adding quilting to my artistic profile. Right now I'm at a place where I'm re-thinking most of what I've done as an artist so far...need to work smarter...do more shows...increase income, etc. The site for moo.com is fantastic and I know that I will be using their services soon. By the way, up until now I've only done business cards and 4x6 photos with my business info added via a sticker(tacky/ yeah, but I was in a pinch and needed cards asap! and it served its purpose)...plan to add a brochure and the mini moos along with the business cards this year.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
robyn1962 wrote
on 25 Mar 2010 8:10 AM

I use business cards mostly, easy to carry and I get about 250-500  at a time. I get mine from an online company nowadays but I used to use Kwik Kopy.

Whenever an exhibition is in the air I get one of my exhibition pieces and photograph it and use in on the front and with all my details on the back. 

Galleries in Melbourne can sometimes be a bit sniffy about business cards but I have found that the simple image of one of my pieces (on a plain background ) seems to encourage people to pick them up as a free 'pretty' and has resulted in several commissions.  Postcards are wonderful but if most people who get them are like me they tend to end up on my corkboard until a new layer of post cards cover them *blush*

Not Ranked
Posts 5
lisali wrote
on 6 Apr 2010 8:52 AM

Hey guys, I am so excited to see everyone loving their moo cards!  I have been using them for about 3 years and finally the world is catching on.

I have many moos and a business card and postcard for both of my businesses.  The great thing about business cards are that they are what everyone expects, people have a holder for them, they have ways to organize them, and cards make you look professional.  The great thing about postcards is that they are the opposite of business cards in all of the above mentioned ways.  Postcards can also be mailed and framed!  Create a postcard that people want to keep up with your logo featured slyly and all of your info on the back with enough space to put a nice personal note.

I would say put all of your info for your BUSINESS.  Stay away from personal addresses and numbers if you want to have a life (!) and time to create.

Be well and celebrate the spring!

Thanks for listening, LI

Li Hertzi, Author, Illustrator, Designer, Artist
National Artisan for Bernina

My Book! Art Doll Adventures
http://www.artdolladventures.com
http://artdolladventures.com/public_html/wordpress/
http://www.lihertzidesign.com
http://photoshop4artistsworkshop.com/Wordpress_PS4ART/BLOG/

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS