New to Art Quilts help

This post has 14 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Teecee wrote
on 9 Apr 2010 10:17 AM

Below are some of the art quilts i have done they are all for the wall.  I have sewn all my life and i have a Kenmore 19000 embroidery machine that does great for me.  I have no one who sews to help me when it comes to a critique of my work so i will appreciate any help from any of you.  I love doing it.  I have more ideas in my head than i will ever finish.  I love doing anything that THANKS our veterans.  And i have just started animals and this is my first.  I like using mixed media. So please ladies help me.

teresa

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 353
Lindy101 wrote
on 9 Apr 2010 8:44 PM

Hi!  We are all learning from one another here.  Read the QA magazine, peruse all the pix, study the online info, follow the threads that interest you. 

I have a 'first reaction/second reaction to your buffalo.  1st.  Loved his hairiness and patches, very interesting!

2nd. The background color does not do him much good.  You might audition a few different colors to see what really says, 'Tadah!'

Your other quilts seem beautiful...one suggestion might be using a batting with less volume, will help quilting and quilts lay flat, more 'art on the wall' in appearance. 

Hope this helps, remember you asked!  Keep quilting!

Lindy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 95
Carole31 wrote
on 9 Apr 2010 8:55 PM

These are good!

Your buffalo is hard to figure out. If I was not a prairie girl, I may not have known. Too much white above the horns...Examine some photos... And the others could only be enhanced by using a different batting. You did say they were wall hangings... I use warm and natural in my work. Look at some tutorials too on binding.

Your work is very good and these couple of things will enhance it, professionalize it and you will be happier.

Buy some quilting art type magazines, lots there... you are well on your way! Search the web....

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Teecee wrote
on 9 Apr 2010 9:13 PM

Thanks Lindy, for some reason when i took the pic of the buffalo the background color seemed sorta goldish or something but its actually a dark green so not sure about it but thanks for idea.   OK on the batting, i thought i was using a thin one so will check.  I did have an older lady tell me the other day she used thinner battingonher quilts.  SO thank you for your help.

Teresa

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Teecee wrote
on 9 Apr 2010 9:15 PM

thanks I know my binding needs help, i have trouble with it, guess it will take practice.  And I am going to check out thinner batting.  The warm and natural is a cotton batting?  Right?

Thanks for your help

Teresa

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 95
Carole31 wrote
on 9 Apr 2010 10:15 PM

Yes, warm and natural is a cotton batting. And, if you find you would like some help with bindings..let me know, contact me directly and I would be happy to help. But, there are some excellent tutorials out there.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 233
ckquilter wrote
on 9 Apr 2010 11:15 PM

hi teresa

you have a great start. and one of the most important parts already figured out - doing what is important to you and what you love!

we are all always trying to find ways to improve our workmanship. and part of that knowledge comes with experience - so keep doing what you have been doing! and keep trying new things and new methods.    

i also think several of the pieces you have posted would have benefitted from a thinner batting - like warm and white; which is a white, needle punched cotton.   warm and natural - by the same company, is an unbleached cotton. ithas a creamier color - and you would want to be careful about using it underneath light colored fabrics, as the color and flecks of debris in the batt can show thru a light colored top.

the warm and white can be closely quilted, or large areas can be left unquilted and still be stable.

check around at your local quilt shops to seewhat battings they carry - and ask for suggestions - but make your own decisions.

you can also check out the batting companies online and see  their recommendations for using each of their types of battings.   there are a bunch of different batts available - and they all have their place. you may end up using several kinds, in different types of projects, to achieve different effects.

once in awhile one of the quilt magazines will run a comparison of the different batts - and that could be a useful article to find.

or ask your friends for a small (8 to 10") piece of every type of batt they have - and after you have accumulated some you will start to recognize the differences in them.

your pieces would look nicer with a better quality binding - and one of the responders offered to help - take her up on the offer!! because your ideas are wonderful and meaningful, and you don't want the workmanship to detract from that.

also - look at the background of the doctor quilt - much! more interesting than a solid white or muslin.    remember that when it comes to choosing a background or borders for your other ideas - don't just wimp out and settle for a muslin background (the background for the bison is pretty boring - what could you have done differently to make it more interesting and add another layer (or 2) of interest??  how about stenciled or stamped ghost bison in the background? or add the shapes with quilting? or are there other meaningful shapes associated with the bison that could be stenciled/stamped/quilted into the background? even just hills and or trees or grass quilted into the background would be more interesting than a random scribble.

the texture of the hair on the doctor quilt is wonderful!!!!     but again - add interest and meaning with your quilting design - standard stipple here does not enhance at all.

you have a great start - keep going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!                                  ckquilter

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Teecee wrote
on 10 Apr 2010 6:30 AM

Hi Carole, I will be contacting you about the binding, I need help on them and I know it.  And i had no idea batting would make that big a difference.  You said tutorials, I hope your talking something on line I can learn from I am all for learning.

thank you

Teresa

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Teecee wrote
on 10 Apr 2010 6:38 AM

HI CK

I am really getting excited about learning more. I had no idea that batting was so different so will be looking into that.  I am using the same batting I have used for all my other regular quits.  So maybe I can fix that pretty easy. 

I never thought about the back ground as in doing a different pattern on the buffalo,  but will be thinking about that now.  Just liked the stippling but can see how if I had done something to go with subject would add another layer of interest.  I have played with the idea of some stenciling but havent tried it yet so will give that more thought also.

So far everyone around me who has seen the quilts don't sew.   I have one lady who quilts but she thinks everything I do is wonderful and have no one doing anything like an Art Quilt.  So I am glad to have found this spot.  I love making these but i knew they needed tweaking in spots.

Thank you and everyone for your ideas.

Teresa

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 95
Carole31 wrote
on 10 Apr 2010 7:04 PM

Anytime... here are a couple of good tutorials:

http://sewinspired.blogspot.com/2007/09/quilt-binding-tutorial.html

and videos here:

http://sewinspired.blogspot.com/2007/09/quilt-binding-tutorial.html

Carole

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on 11 Apr 2010 8:08 AM

You are all so talented!  I am a traditional quilter, as my children would say "A quilter gone wild" (hehehe).  I am inspired to die fabric and paint and really emerse myself in the art of fabric arts.

I would love to get started with some "easy" fabric paiting and thought the paint sticks would be a good place to start.  I believe I'd have more control of where I'm putting color and I would like to graduate to painting fabric. 

Would you have any recommendations on what types of paints work best with cotton fabric?  Perhaps a good "How to" book. (?)   I saw pokey's episode with Sue Cavanaugh's techniques and I cannot wait to try them.

Thanks for your input.

Cammy :)

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Teecee wrote
on 11 Apr 2010 6:23 PM

Thanks Carole, will be checking them out later today and tomrrow.

Teresa

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Teecee wrote
on 12 Apr 2010 6:47 AM

Hi Cammy,

thanks for  your compliments but I too am here to learn.  I have learned what I have from reading.  I am not close to anything to be able to take classes or be around other quilters.  So I read and read.  I never thought about tutorials on the comptuer to learn like binding so I am glad now to do that.   SO anything I tell you may not be what you should do.  I use all kinds of things.  I have used water color pencils, I love them, they let me add as much color as i want.  But now some people dont like the idea of using them for shading they think fabric is the only way and if I was better maybe I would do that but I seem to be able to do the penicls and get some of my shading.(especially around eyes on pictures)  I used crayons on one quilt, and I  liked the look. I just colored in a few things then ironed it to set color.  Now if you wash it after you color with crayons you get a real pastel look and I liked that too.  I am also on a really fixed income so I also have to watch cost on everything, so that makes a difference with me. I use lint from the drier to show like moss on the ground, lol  I have some dark green sheets and when I dry them I save the lint.  I use wool roving I think its called like on the buffalo.  I am getting ready to try some paints on a quilt and will let you know what happens.  Good luck and  keep trying.

Teresa

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Teecee wrote
on 15 Apr 2010 11:40 AM

HI EVERYONE,

Been busy with spring here but have been reading and reading and also looking at the tutorials on the internet.  Want to thank everyone for your help.  Hope to have something to show you at a later time to see if my bindings and back ground improve.

thanks

teresa

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Teecee wrote
on 23 May 2010 6:44 PM

Hi Carole,

I have been practicing on binding and I think I am doing much better will post a picture in a day or so the places you sent me were very very helpful.  Now was wondering about putting the sleeve on, any place i can go to get it better too.  I think this is really helping me.

thanks

teresa

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS