guild anniversary challenge

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 17 May 2010 1:51 PM

My local guild is having a challenge in honor of its 30th anniverary...next month ( talk about last minute!)  I have an idea of what I want to do, but I am having difficulty in finding a pattern/directions for making a 3D rose that I can sew onto the quilt.  No larger than 3 or 4 inches in diameter, smaller is best.  Any ideas???

Caren12

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 17 May 2010 2:25 PM

Hey Caren12-

I am making roses for my sister's wedding in August using the templates made by Clover USA. They have 3 sizes, and the large one is about 3 inches across.  I like that the back can be flattened to sew onto a quilt surface.  Here's a link for you:

http://www.clover-usa.com/product/268041/8472/_/Sweetheart_Rose_Makers_%28Large%29

Other than that, there's a bunch of ways to devise a 3D rose, with separate petals, etc.  What did you have in mind?

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 18 May 2010 6:04 AM

Muppin

Those are lovely.  I have not seen those.  I've got several of the yoyo makers but I have not seen the rose makers.  Those would be perfect.  Thanks so much!  I bet they would be great for a wedding. Show pics when your finished.

Caren12

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 18 May 2010 4:17 PM

No problem, they are pretty easy to make, and a fat quarter can make a couple of roses based on how the fabric twists.

We, of course, want to see your challenge quilt when it's done!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 26 May 2010 5:48 PM

Muppin

It takes an eternity for new tools to drift South, I couldn't find the rose maker anywhere in Mobile!  So I made ribbon roses.  The quilt turned out pretty good.  I was working in a tight timeline.  The leaves are velevt and taffita, the vines are made from wool yarn.  Everything is fused, raw edge applique.  I wasn't happy with the butterflys so I put navy tulle over it.  There are 3 bead ladybugs and a beaded spider on a silver web.  It was a lot of fun.

Caren12

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 2 Jun 2010 7:47 AM

OMG Caren12! That's perfect!  They came out great!  So glad you shared that here!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 135
TEMA61 wrote
on 9 Jun 2010 7:58 PM

WOW!  That is such a beauty!  I love the colour of the roses, they really stand out.  The butterflies have also caught my eye... just love the way you have done them... a wonderful piece!

TEMA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 11 Jun 2010 9:06 AM

Thank you so much it was a lot of fun.

Caren12

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS