Quilted tags book

This post has 15 Replies | 6 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 30 May 2010 12:23 PM

This Is a series I'm working on using memories and photos from our vacation last year to DC.  I got the idea from a QA challenge on post cards and a book I found on fabric books.  It's been a lot of fun.  The first one came out very well.  I printed a map and then I overdyed it.  Hand drew with a paint pen the airplane and painted it with glitter nail polish.  I added a piece of previously sun printed fabric to the bottom.  On the side of Florida I used this piece of plastic with holes and a paint stick to mimic waves. (It came in my goody bag from the stamp challenge!!!) I then sewed the edges added an eyelet.  Lastly I used silver leaf and gold leaf for texture.

The second tag was a little harder to work with and I still think it needs something, so I am open for suggestions!  Its a phot printed on fabric.  The clouds are fused Angelina, the Castle is thread painted and sketched in areas.  Thw windows have tulle in them.  The trees were constructed on water soluable stabilizer then thread painted, tulle was added as well as tiny snippets of fabric.  Then I cut them out washed and stitched them to the tag.  I cut the tag wrong so white showed at the bottom of the photo, so I used that same plastic with circles to add some texture.  The side of the photo is part of a map of the mall, not much shows.  Both tags are quilted and constructed on really heavy DS interfacing.  Any ideas on how to add some...something?  It needs something, I just don't know what!

I've already got ideas for one about Gulf Shores...before the gusher!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 218
Peggy Szasz wrote
on 30 May 2010 1:06 PM

Wow, these are really cool!!!  So creative and detailed.  What a wonderful idea.  Thanks for sharing!!! 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 95
Carole31 wrote
on 30 May 2010 2:32 PM

I think these are GREAT!! What a super idea...

How do you get the eyelets in? Is there a special tool?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 30 May 2010 6:39 PM

Carole31

Thank you.  I'm having so much fun making them.  Yes, the eyelets have a special plier you need to put them on.  They were on sale yesterday for almost 1/2 price at JoAnne's... so of course I had to have one!!!  There normally $25.00 or so.  They are real easy to use.  I have a problem with one of my wrists and I had no problem using it.

Caren12

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 30 May 2010 8:49 PM

Really cool.  Love the detail.

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
etorgers wrote
on 31 May 2010 12:02 AM

Great idea.  Love the tulle windows and good save on the bottom.  But is that what's bothering you?  It doesn't talk to anything else?  How about using more of the map along the bottom in a creative way?

You did a wonderful job of the castle.  Will be fun to see Gulf Shores!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 903
Muppin wrote
on 2 Jun 2010 7:54 AM

Caren12, these ROCK!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 3 Jun 2010 11:46 AM

This is the next installment of Quilted tags.  You would think working with a smaller piece would be easier than a larger piece, but I'm finding it much more difficult.  Keeping the image "true" to the location as well as adding artistic elements to bring in the feeling from that day or certain memories I have.  That and all the newer techniques I'm trying to use.

The first one is the Apollo 11 command capsule.  I still have dreams of one day of being an astronaut, even though I'm terrible affraid of heights, so the Space Museum is always a favorite.  I used a personal photo to draw the design and then raw edge sewed it to a black background.  There is silver paint and thread sketching for details.  As well as bead embellishment.  It's not quite what I wanted but I like it.The next one is the Peacock Room from the Freer Gallery.  I've seen photos of this room and had to find it.  I hand painted the fabric and then thread sketched and thread painted the peacock and feather.  I added 2 porcelan beads to represent the Blue and white pottery that fills the room, and gold leaf to give the feel of the opulance that you have when you see the room in person.  The backing of this piece has the Mall Map including the Freer Gallery.

The gold leaf was being very difficult on this day.  And the picture is a little fuzzy.  I still need to fix the edges.  I think a hand sewn blanket stitch.  I can't use the machine because of the leafing.  I already tried and that was a disaster!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 218
Peggy Szasz wrote
on 3 Jun 2010 12:52 PM

Very good!!!  Thanks a ton for sharing them with us.  Peggy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 133
on 3 Jun 2010 2:12 PM

This is a really great personal project, an excellent way to preserve the memories.  What is the difficulty you are having with the gold leaf?  Is it gold leaf or the foil.  I use gold leaf on things, fabric and paper, using either wunderunder or gold leaf adhesive to attach. I also machine and handstitch through it.   Fabric moves, if you pull it taught, this will make the leaf crackle for want of a better phrase, because it doesn't move.  It can flake off.  To stop this (although the effect is interesting)  you will need to seal it.  I use, in the UK what is called Acrylic Wax... I don't know the US equivalent - but its a liquid like a pva, has multiple uses, sure you must have something similar.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 4 Jun 2010 6:30 AM

Fiber reaction,

It is gold foil, thank you for your response.  Most of the problem is the adhesive dosen't make a smooth constant line, and it also seems to dry at different times and the leaf foil dosen't always want to stick.  Part of the problem as with everythingelse is my own impatience and lack of experience with the foil.

Caren12

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Nova4 wrote
on 4 Jun 2010 9:44 AM

These tags are great!  How will you put them together?  Will you string them up or put them in a book somehow?  It's a super idea for vacation memories!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 4 Jun 2010 4:04 PM

Thanks

I am thinking of either using a metal ring or making a braid from strips of fabric and yarn and threading it through the eyelet.  I have about 6 more to complete.

Caren12

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 20 Jun 2010 6:43 PM

I've added new tags to the photo section "show your fiber art"  there's also a photo of them all linked together.  Take a look.  I only have 3 more to go.

Caren12

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 228
ckquilter wrote
on 24 Jun 2010 7:51 PM

hi caren

about your gold foil - i have never tried sewing through it- i have always added it after quilting. however,

there are several ways to get nice straight lines - 1. make a freezer paper stencil. press it to your fabric. then fill in the area with foil glue - you need to use special foil glue (i like jones tones) because it stays tacky after it dries. and that is what makes the foil stick to it.          then the hard part - wait for the glue to dry.  usually glue last thing at night. let it dry overnight, then burnish the foil on in the morning.                                take the freezer paper off before the glue dries.

option 2 - cut shapes from fusible web,and press in place. remove the paper, cover with the foil, and press again. let cool. then peel away the foil sheet.

either option makes nice smooth filled in lines.

you can also use screen printing glue and an iron- but it is a lot harder to find.                             ckquilter

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS