Do you work on commission?

This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 321
on 1 Jul 2010 10:30 AM

Jane Davila's latest Minding Your Business column about working on commission (in our June/July issue) got me wondering: how many of our QA Community members have created work on commission? Or how many are interested in doing so?

Does anyone have interesting commissioned work experiences to share (good or bad) or advice?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 906
Muppin wrote
on 2 Jul 2010 8:11 AM

I don't normally sell my work, but a piece on my blog got picked up by some craft websites and I got two requests for commissions out of it. I had never done one before so I arranged for payment of the work upfront, gave them a clear deadline as to when I would be finished, explained the size of the work (I work small) again for clarification, and both "customers" agreed!  I was over the moon. 

On one of the commissions I shipped  via the post office using their flat rate boxes.  I chose the box that fit the work and put the wrong amount of postage on it!  I contacted the buyer and apologized and refunded the difference in postage to them in case it came postage due.  It did not, fortunately, and I let them keep the money as a goodwill gesture for my mistake and for the concern it caused.  But, I got a nice picture of the work hanging with other art they purchased back from them, so it was win-win!

It was a great and rewarding experience.  I would do it again when my schedule is not so busy! 

So, what about everyone else?  Stories?

Cheryl / Muppin

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS