Making fabric look like water?

This post has 10 Replies | 8 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
bishopgirl wrote
on 10 Jul 2010 7:43 PM

I am trying to figure out what to use for a glaze so to speak for a piece I'm doing. I want it to look like it's shiny like water, but I'm unsure of what to use, and the effects of it. I am limited to what I can get in my town, so any ideas would help. It's a raised quilt made to look like the person is in water and the face is above the water. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 11 Jul 2010 8:43 AM

I think I'd try stitching it first in something suggestive of waves and water and then apply silver foil to the raised areas of your stitching to make it look like you've caught a reflection of light.

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 11 Jul 2010 5:57 PM

I JUST  made shaving cream marbling and it came out very much like water.  The variations in the colors, esp. the white peeking through.  On some of it I used small glass beads to pick up the reflection.

Caren12

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
Quilnan wrote
on 11 Jul 2010 6:07 PM

Maybe some translucent fabric paint, or a light coating of glitter glue?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
BarbaraM132 wrote
on 16 Jul 2010 6:23 PM

I use florists cellophane which I paint & heat gun, it creates a shiny,wave effect. Pale transluscent organza heat gunned can also be used.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
minaret wrote
on 8 Aug 2010 11:00 AM

Hi, if you havent found anything already, what about a very thin film of plastic? Today I didnt have any transfer paper & I'm on holiday far away from shops, so I cut up a plastic wrapper that a cheap raincoat came in. I used that instead of paper, but I though what a marvellous medium that would make it look like water... and easily available.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 219
ckquilter wrote
on 9 Aug 2010 12:08 AM
hi i did a small wallhanging called dragonfly creek. i wanted it to look like the edge of a small creek, with rocks along the edge and under the surface of the water. and i wanted you to be able to see the long fronds of algae in the water stream, and leaves floating on the water surface. i used a rock fabric - with the small pebbles under the water,and the larger rocks just above the water surface on the bank. after quilting the rocks under the water, i placed a very sheer fabric, light blue /green, over the area i wanted to be underwater. sitched among the rocks at the waters edge, and then cut away the excess sheer. there was metallic thread and thin yarn used to make the algae - and it was tucked under the edge of a larger fabric rock (dimensional) which sits in the water stream. small clear beads (without holes) were added under the water and along the pebbles on the bank, to look like fish or insect eggs. several dragonflies - (dimensional- felted, angelina bodies. sheer wings. multifaceted eyes) are perched on the large rock and on the rocks at the edgeof the creek. several leaves are drifting down the creek on the water's surface. and there are water drops on several leaves. using the very sheer fabric for the water's surface worked really well. as the eggs and algae and baby fish are actually under the surface. and you could tuck any other under the water embellishments you wanted underneath the sheer. ckquilter
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 62
Cate Prato wrote
on 13 Aug 2010 11:29 AM
What about Angelina fibers?
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 888
Muppin wrote
on 16 Aug 2010 8:27 AM

Oh, Angelina would be cool too.  I did some water effect similarly with shimmery organza, but it was slippery to sew.

I hope this project gets posted here so we can see it! :)

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
2Victory wrote
on 18 Aug 2010 7:41 AM

what do you think about laminating the fabric. i was at a fabric store the other day and when a teacher said she laminated the fabric i instantly thought of you.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
gardengirl49 wrote
on 21 Aug 2010 5:39 AM

I just did water using a watery-looking fabric and quilting it onto Texture Magic. Came out with nice waves after I iron steamed it.

Kim Young

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS