Tips for a Successful Art Group

This post has 2 Replies | 3 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 248
on 23 Jul 2010 5:58 AM

In her "Minding Your Business" column in the August/September 2010 issue of Quilting Arts Magazine, Jane Davila shares ideas about starting a small art group. Here is a summary of tips from Jane...thanks Jane!

Tips for a successful art group - from Jane Davila

• Clear communication is key. Set up an easy and consistent way to stay in touch with your members and use it regularly.
  • Have a strong moderator who can keep the meetings on track and who has a clear vision for the group.
  • Determine from the beginning whether your meetings will be informal or more structured. It’s easy to relax things a little midstream, but harder to impose order on a more freewheeling group.
  • Develop a strategy for dealing with members who require or seek more attention. A timer can be helpful.
  • Decide how many members you can comfortably accommodate in your chosen location before issuing invitations. Start a waiting list if necessary.
  • Encourage members to wear name tags and to bring business cards and postcards to meetings.
  • Keep meetings positive and upbeat. Attitude is everything!

Helen Gregory
Editorial Director for Interweave's Quilt, Paper, & Sewing Group

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Diane Wantz wrote
on 2 Sep 2010 9:24 PM

I just started an art group this spring and found your article very timely and helpful.  My hope was to keep it unstructured, but I've found that order is getting more difficult to maintain. Everyone is just so excited and inspired but what they see that they all talk at once! The second biggest challenge is coming up with monthly programs that interest the majority since we have members from various textile disciplines. Currently, everyone is in the process of making a nametag featuring their particular discipline.

We seem to be adapting as the group grows. As an example, when we began, our Show and Tell portion was a great way to get to know each other. However, it became the bulk of the meeting with each passing month, so now members put their Show and Tell items on a designated table when they come in and that is the last thing on the agenda.  

As moderator, I make sure to address issues as soon as possible when members contact me "behind the scenes" and I am hopeful that I will not have to resort to a timer!

Thanks again for your tips.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on 13 Sep 2010 12:54 PM

“Clear communication is key” It is absolutely true because clear communication because clearly discussion makes people feel happy, content and at ease. It also avoid misunderstanding and it supports trust. In general the words of Jane Davila is helpful in an art group.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS