What's something fun you have done while at an art retreat?

This post has 13 Replies | 8 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 2 Aug 2010 12:07 PM

Hey everyone-

I'm a big fan of getting away for a few days for an art retreat, and while the big organized ones are AWESOME, I love the "group of friends for a weekend" kind too.  I'm looking for ideas of things to do/see/try while on art retreats of any kind, so anyone got any ideas? 

One thing at the big ones I have been to is to make sure you have lots of business or "moo" cards with your email address and the like, as I end up meeting so many people I want to stay in touch with.  I also try to remember to bring ATCs (Artist trading cards) in case someone else brings or makes them to trade with me.

So, what are some of your ideas?

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
khusty wrote
on 2 Aug 2010 10:40 PM

Hi there!

Speaking of Art Retreats!  I am looking for a good one to treat myself to in 2011!  Has to be between April - December 2011.  Any suggestions or is there a place i can go to for a list?

Sorry this is not quite what you are looking for in your post. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Karin

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 3 Aug 2010 8:37 AM

Well, if the CREATE event is repeated in 2011, I would suggest that one! There are usually some listed in the ads section of Quilting Arts, especially in the back. 

I guess it depends on what kind of retreat you are looking for?  There's so many different kinds.

But I'm still looking for suggestions on things to do or try at an art retreat!  :)

Cheryl / Muppin

Not Ranked
Posts 1
kptolemy wrote
on 3 Aug 2010 9:02 AM

Hey Everyone,

Kate, from the Interweave Events team, here.

Good news - CREATE will be held in 2011, and beyond! We have not announced the locations or dates yet, but please check clothpaperscissorsretreat.com often for updates. We will be making those announcements soon.

I definitely suggest coming to CREATE for an art retreat. We feature classes that focus on seven techniques including surface design, art quilting/sewing, and fabric fusion. It's a great place to meet new people, learn from your favorite artists and authors, perfect your art and have a great time!

Muppin - I unfortunately am not a mixed-media artist myself, so I have little insight on your question. However, I would love to learn more about mixed-media art!

If you have any questions about CREATE, feel free to contact me at kptolemy@interweave.com.

-Kate

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 233
ckquilter wrote
on 3 Aug 2010 3:23 PM

hi cheryl

your question is kind of open ended - there are too many ideas to list them all!

another idea in line with your cards - the blank greeting cards with the windows. they can be stitched thru. and any small paper or fabric project can be inserted into the window.       get out your small glitzy scrap bottle - and drizzle the surface with bits of yarn, lace, angelina, metallic thread, sequins, confetti..........................   then cover the small piece with tulle and do a bit of sewing to hold the layers together - or use glue or fusible underneath to avoid sewing.

or make a mini landscape to go in the window. or a scene of pressed flowers and leaves. or sand and shells. or.........................

everyone always loves to color - so crayons or watercolor pencils or tsukineko ink are fun to use to color flowers or faces - i love painting faces with the ink - i use a full size black and white blow up of one of the nieces or nephews, and use that for the main shapes, but color the face with a theme - blue or green or purple, turning them into fairies or elves or mermaids.    then the faces don't have to be absolutely lifelike - more fantasy and magical.

a series i have been making, called friendship branches - i use a sunprinted fabric as a base, but a handpaint or even a batik would be ok too. keep it small. 10 to 16 inches per side is nice.  sandwich and quilt. bind - any style in keeping with your theme. then use sheers or angelina or strips of fabric or thread wrapped cording or yarn  or combinations to make branches. add leaves and/or flowers from - fabric, angelina, silk, sheers, needle lace.........

then i add beaded embellishments - they can be garlands wrapped around the branches. or bunches of beads at the branch tack points, or long dangles of beads.   or add beaded butterflies or spiders or dragonflies.

the same type of idea also makes wonderful underwater scenes. just use the same stuff, but turn it into seaweed, and add seahorses, or leafy sea dragon, or mermaids. and then embellish like crazy with beads, sequins, shells.............................   

ckquilter

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 4 Aug 2010 9:25 AM

CKQuilter- You ROCK.  You always have the neatest suggestions... 

THANKS!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 7 Aug 2010 8:49 AM

Muppin:

One thing at the big ones I have been to is to make sure you have lots of business or "moo" cards with your email address and the like

Cheryl / Muppin

I hafta know... why are they called "moo" cards?

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 10 Aug 2010 8:33 AM

The Moo card is a card offered by moo.com.  It's half the height the size of a regular business card, so they are a different and I just happen to love to collect them from other artists.

Cheryl / Muppin

Not Ranked
Posts 1
whenigrowup wrote
on 10 Aug 2010 1:01 PM

What is something fun I have done at an art retreat? hmmmmm..... well..... it involved a martini shaker, xerox machine, double sided sticky tape, and Broadway songs. But I rather doubt it can be duplicated with any accuracy. Thanks for asking though. I'd almost forgotten what I never fully remembered to begin with.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 10 Aug 2010 2:11 PM

whenigrowup:

What is something fun I have done at an art retreat? hmmmmm..... well..... it involved a martini shaker, xerox machine, double sided sticky tape, and Broadway songs. But I rather doubt it can be duplicated with any accuracy.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 10 Aug 2010 2:56 PM

Thanks for the info, Cheryl... that's a neat site, and I've been needing some business cards... hmmm... :D

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 10 Aug 2010 2:58 PM

whenigrowup:

. it involved a martini shaker, xerox machine, double sided sticky tape, and Broadway songs. But I rather doubt it can be duplicated with any accuracy.

But I'd love to give it the old college try! 

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 10 Aug 2010 2:59 PM

Approachable Art:

Thanks for the info, Cheryl... that's a neat site, and I've been needing some business cards... hmmm... :D

They are super nice quality cards, with a nice matte finish on them.  I like the ability to upload 100 designs for 100 different cards.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on 13 Aug 2010 4:47 PM

Hello!  I am excited to tell you about our retreat in Alberta's foothills!  We have a small facility that can accommodate 12 people, and a large studio with great lighitng and electrical outlet.  We have hosted jewellery, yoga, carving, painting retreats, plus a Christmas in November gals get-together that offered a 'pot pourri' of activties!  Check out our website at www.diamondwillowartisanretreat.com!

We also have joine forces with a couple other local businesses and offer weekends that include a guided hike exploring edible plants, and a 2 hour horseback trail ride through the Rockies!  Add in a watercolour class, yoga and gourmet meals & accommodations, its a terrific way to explore this part of the world!

We would love ot hear other ideas!

Pat

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS