hi from northern Calif. next to the oregon border, sandbox

This post has 4 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 4 Aug 2010 10:10 AM

Hi to all like minds,It is a joy to be able to communicate with other art quilters,I am a disabled woman

so my teachers have been from t.v. and books,and now artquilts mag.I started out as a silk painter(just because I thought the flow of paint was fantastic.My whole world opened when I watched a quilting show on t.v.and a gal was on who was painting fabric(Sky-dye,Micky ?)I got so excited! a way to use cotton(much hardyer than silk)I could rip

tair with no care,I am not a perfectionist,so I bought paints from darma,and set up on a table outside with her book right in front of me,trying not to get paint all over it or spill water ect. on it.I started off with Seta paints,and later added every thing I can get my hands on.

The quilting part was new,cause I never thought I could sew a streight line(all my seemstress friends were always laughing @ me trying to sew placemats for Christmas.Long story,short,art quilting did not require streight lines.

I am in heaven! My friends dont laugh any more,they just oh and ah.now.

My dis ability gives me about 4 hrs a day designing,painting,dying,quilting,planing and then I fall into the bed for a few hrs.maybe with a book,or magazine.This is enough,to fill up all my walls,give stuff away,my life is full.

now I want to take another step by communicating with other art quilters,and possibly shoing some of my quilts and sending pictures into quilting arts.Sharing with the artists across country.My new dream is to make a" how to" C.D,as my skills have been growing along with my age.

anyone relate.sandboxyc

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 467
okieLinda wrote
on 4 Aug 2010 11:03 AM

Loved your letter , you'll find lots of people on here that you can relate to Im sure, Your line 'my life is full' is how I feel with my quilts, there was a tv program last week on what would be your dream job? and I looked down at my quilt and thought ,doing what Im doing, How many people these days can really say that :) nice meeting you  Linda

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 219
ckquilter wrote
on 4 Aug 2010 9:32 PM
hi sandy hello from another disabled woman. i have had rheumatoid arthritis for over 30years - all my adult life. the deformity keeps increasing and my ability to do things keeps decreasing. i started quilting when i had to quit working because of the pain and deformity. i needed something to fill up the time, that could be put down at a moments notice - i don't always have the strength and energy to clean upafter painting. and gardening does not work anymore. and i need somethingi can pick up at 3 am when i can't sleep. so the quilting works well for me. and i have met the best people, some great friends, and it sure has filled up the time!! now i just need more work time to be able to get all my ideas into fabric! my hands don't work too well anymore, so i mostly do machine sewing. i have learned i can do a bit of beading by hand though. i am not able to hand quilt- i can't hold the short needles anymore, and i can't move my fingers that way. but there are lots of fun things which can be done on the machine!!!! i am originally from southern california - san juan and dana point area. and seem to have spent my life moving north. i am now in washington - across the sound from seattle. you said you are in northern california?? what town??? anywhere near the redwoods? coast? or inland near hwy 5?? i love your attitude!!!!!!!!!! just get the paints and give it a try!!! way to go girl!!!! and especially important for those of us who don't always have the energy to travel a long ways to take a class - besides, you can sometimes learn more just by doing it - sometimes the books are just plain wrong, and the best way to find out is to do it yourself!! so keep up the good work. and keep playing - it is soooooooo important. ckquilter
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 889
Muppin wrote
on 5 Aug 2010 9:09 AM

HI Sandy-

Welcome! You are in the right place for all kinds of different quilting methods!  Feel free to post your work, ask questions, and most of all HAVE FUN!

Enjoy!
Cheryl / Muppin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 248
on 5 Aug 2010 12:55 PM
Welcome Sandy! It's wonderful to read of all you're doing. We're thrilled to know you're finding inspiration through Quilting Arts. When you're ready, we certainly encourage you to submit article ideas to Quilting Arts Magazine. The submissions guidelines are available on this site. Enjoy!

Helen Gregory
Editorial Director for Interweave's Quilt, Paper, & Sewing Group

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS