Finishing my piece

This post has 7 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 23
Zoldesign wrote
on 24 Sep 2010 12:24 PM

This is silk, fused to muslin, backed with batting and fabric and then free-motion quilted.  I like it all, but am wondering about the lake at the bottom.  Does it work?  I think it might be better without, maybe just some more mountains..but I'm not sure.  Also for a border, I'm thinking brown silk to look like a wood frame.  Any suggestions?

Also,  do you feel it is a sunrise or sunset?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 228
ckquilter wrote
on 29 Sep 2010 10:47 PM

my favorite views are mountains with water - so i would not take out the water.

but remember - water is not blue - it reflects he color of the light from the sky .

you have let the water reflect the sun(moon?) - but where are the sky colors in the water??

i would like it better(and that may be why you feel there is something amiss) if there was a bit of sky color in the water.

they would then relate better.

if i was gonna make a border to look like a wood frame - i would not use the brown silk - it will look very flat and one dimensional.

you can find cottons with wood grain prints - in several colors and sizes of grain - and they will look more like real wood.

also think about adding a matt, as well as the "frame".            from fabrics of course.     ckquilter

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 275
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 30 Sep 2010 9:51 AM

I agree with ckquilter's comments regarding the reflection in the lake, but a woodgrain fabric would not be my choice for the border. If you want a "wood" border, why not use real wood?  By wood - do you mean finished (as in sanded and stained) or rough (as in driftwood or old banches)? that could be attached to the quilt with silk tabs. 

Please post another photo when you are done! It's lovely!

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Aloysius2 wrote
on 30 Sep 2010 6:24 PM

I love the piece, but would agree that the water is too blue and needs to reflect a bit more of the sky, it just looks a little flat. It is  beautiful work .

Not Ranked
Posts 6
gerrycam1 wrote
on 2 Oct 2010 2:31 AM

Thanks for sharing--- its inspiring.  You are right about the lake . Just using more colour would make it more organic. Don't be like me, I had an un finished piece sitting for four years because I obbsessed about binding

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 23
Zoldesign wrote
on 2 Oct 2010 4:57 PM

Thank you all for the wonderful advise.  It is really neat to reach out to a community and find so many helpful critiques.  I agree with the water looking flat and unrealistic without the sky reflections.  I think it was late and I was tired and just fused it together to get it done.  One should never work like that.  I am going to work more on the lake and fuse some colors and try to bring it up to another level.  I hadn't done any free motion quilting on the bottom so I'm glad for that since I can do more fusing.  I might add some detail to the trees with stitching as well.  Thanks again and I'll post my finished piece soon.

Susie Zol

Not Ranked
Posts 2
nana18 wrote
on 3 Oct 2010 3:12 PM

I think it is glorious--try and use some paint sticks to add a little color to the lake--I thik it is sunrise--sometimes a quilt looks wonderful under glass as a work of art--

Not Ranked
Posts 2
nana18 wrote
on 3 Oct 2010 3:12 PM

I think it is glorious--try and use some paint sticks to add a little color to the lake--I thik it is sunrise--sometimes a quilt looks wonderful under glass as a work of art--

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS