Forum Challenge - It's My Nature

This post has 15 Replies | 8 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 902
Muppin wrote
on 12 Nov 2010 7:41 AM

Hi everyone!  I'm organizing another forum wide "challenge" very similar to the reader challenges in QA magazine. This is to get our creativity ramped up, our brains working on ideas for future projects, our machines revved up and working, and much more.  I'm hoping to host these once a month, so feel free to use the "conversations" link in the upper right to suggest future themes and topics for us to use on future challenges!  Lots of people picked natural themes in our last round of suggestions so......

This month's challenge theme is : It's My Nature

Here are some guidelines, but remember, this is all for fun.

1. Your work must be on the theme of "It's My Nature". It's up to you to interpret this theme any way you want.

2. It can be any size.

3. To participate in the challenge online, post a picture of your FINISHED project and put it in this thread by posting a reply here (hit the reply button and post your message and attach your picture) or post your FINISHED project picture in the QA gallery and post a link to it on this thread.  This is so we can all see it.  The piece must be quilted, have 3 layers, and a binding or edging of some sort to be finished.

4. In your message, write a little about how you came up with your design, what you were thinking about when you made it, or how the piece applies to the theme.

5. The entries for this themed challenge ends on January 5th.

6.  I can't say we will have any prizes right now, but you never know!

7.  Please try to make a new piece for this challenge.  This is all about stretching yourself and getting your creativity ramped up.  If you are stumped on this subject, post your ideas and we will try to help you!  This is what this forum is all about. We are here to help you!  Plus, we love your in progress photos!

8. Have FUN!!!!

If you have any questions about our challenge, post them here and I will be happy to answer them. I hope you have fun.   Let's create some quilt art!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
lesliemcneil wrote
on 15 Nov 2010 11:17 AM

"Peachy Posy" is among many FIRSTS in my life recently! 

We had a stormy Montana spring and those rainy skies became the inspiration for this design which began first as a sketch while longingly gazing out the window.  It represents many "firsts" in my life, one of which was a time of recuperating after my first ever surgery...  and it was with great hope that I sketched, and after feeling better, later dye painted the fabric and then with great anticipation took it to my studio and further developed it to incorporate many of the techniques and colors I love. 

The blue background is my first try at  hand painted fabric, and I love the deep, multi-layered colors that set the moody blue skies and tone for the pink and mango colored flower (also hand painted fabric) "posing" in a bed of spring flowers after a cool, wet morning rain.  Smaller red flowers' petals have a gathered and 'puffed' look, and additional white dainty 'tip-toe' flowers from white satin and yellow wool fabric add contrast and interest to the spring garden, all sparkling in the aftermath of the early morning rain storm, representing patience, perseverance, healing and hope!

I dearly love using those wonderfully thick and glitzy metallic threads, and so the background bobbin quilting on this piece begins with a navy metallic thread,(to emulate a rain-soaked sky), and lots of variegated thread in purples and moody blues are quilted throughout the sky fabric in a geometric triangular pattern. 

This piece features examples of bobbin play, free motion applique techniques, free motion couching, embellishment and traditional couching, angelina fibers, angelina film, texture magic and beading.  Size 21" wide x 36" long

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 23 Nov 2010 5:19 PM

Muppin

I needed this challenge!  I've got my thinking cap on.  Let's see if I can meet the deadline.

Caren12

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 902
Muppin wrote
on 24 Nov 2010 8:56 AM

Awesome Caren12!  Can't wait to see it!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 902
Muppin wrote
on 30 Nov 2010 4:42 PM

Hey everyone! 

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving (or good weekend if you are not in the USA). How is your challenge coming along?  Anyone need any tips?

I'm happy to say we will be having a prize for people who enter their completed quilt photos on this thread.  The winner will be chosen randomly from the entries on the day after our deadline of Jan 5th, 2011.  Please enter new work, and follow the guidelines on the first post in this thread.

Enjoy!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 1 Dec 2010 8:44 AM

OK.  My entry is almost ready!  I am waiting for the ribbon to arrive in the mail!

Caren12

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 4 Dec 2010 8:09 AM

Introducing Coco.   My alter ego in fabric.  She keeps popping up in my quilts, so I decided to give her a name!  Anyway, This is my entry for "It's my Nature" .  It started after a heated discussion with my husband!  I'll let you in on a little secret, I have a temper.  I work hard to keep it under wraps, but sometimes it blows!  In case you are wondering, I'm the volcano (and the Hula Girl).  Orginally it was going to be just the volcano.  I had the whole thing pieced and the thread work was done on the volcano, but there was too much empty space.  So I added the Hula Girl, during a night of insomnia.  She turned out pretty good.  She is fused.  There are flower sequins and beads.  The skirt is made from green silk ribbon and wool thread.  The lava is also silk ribbon.  I machine quilted it and bound it by machine.  It's fun and flirty.  The title is "Caution: Prone to Eruptions"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 35
cdlewis wrote
on 17 Dec 2010 11:49 AM

I have really wanted to make a quilt with hummingbirds.  I am crazy about birds and this challenge inspired me to come up with a design that included hummingbirds and two of my favorite flowers:  orange trumpet vines and beebalm.  It has been unusually cold here in Florida, and Im really missing all the beautiful summer flowers so I decided to place them in this quilt.  It is raw edged appliqued, machine pieced and quilted. 

Not Ranked
Posts 8
pum5553 wrote
on 18 Dec 2010 9:41 PM

Really beautiful  I love the colors and embellishments used, thanks.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 78
DinahT wrote
on 19 Dec 2010 1:15 PM

My challenge piece is "A Font for Patrick" I also used this for a challenge piece for my local quilting guilt.

Theme wise, it appeals to me more of what I strive for than what I am. Nature centers and calms me. This quilt represents a Celtic cross with a small spring dedicated to St. Patrick in the woods.

The full image is in the QA Gallery at http://www.quiltingdaily.com/media/p/23481.aspx .

Here is a detail of the Cross:

And a detail of the spring or font:

This piece was a learning experience, I did a lot of  Free-Motion quilting and was trying to work with more color. I have a ways to go but I do like this piece.

Enjoy, Dinah

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 902
Muppin wrote
on 19 Dec 2010 3:37 PM

Everyone is making such beautiful things!  Thanks for entering!

Don't forget our deadline is Jan 5th, and your photos must show th edges of the quilt so we know it's finished!

Thanks!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 902
Muppin wrote
on 27 Dec 2010 4:45 PM

We have about a week and a half for this forum challenge!  Hope everyone is having a nice Holiday and hope that you can participate! I'm working furiously on my challenge piece.  :)

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 902
Muppin wrote
on 5 Jan 2011 6:57 AM

Hey everyone!  Today is the last day for the "It's My Nature" challenge and your work must be posted on this thread by tonight at 12AM EST to be elegible for our prize!  I will post winners by tomorrow 1/6/11 at 12 Noon EST.  You still have a little time!

Cheryl

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 902
Muppin wrote
on 6 Jan 2011 10:29 AM

First of all, I want to thank all of our participants in this challenge.  If you are working on a piece inspired by this challenge that you didn't get to post yet, we would still love to see it.  The folks who posted have incredibly inspiring work that is really wonderful.  You're all fantastic artists, and thanks once again for participating. I'd like to thank our group of participants below for their entries into the contest (in the order in which they posted):
1. lesliemcneil
2. caren12
3. cdlewis
4. DinahT

And our winner is:

LeslieMcNeil!!!

Congratulations!  Quilting Arts and Interweave has graciously donated a prize to you!  Please use the "Conversations" link at the top right of the website to contact me privately with your name and address and we will have it sent out to you.

Thank you everyone!!!  Look for my posts about your input on future challenge ideas and our next challenge, which I hope to post by Jan 17th.
You won't want to miss this one!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 6 Jan 2011 12:40 PM

Muppin Thanks for hosting this challenge.  It was a lot of fun.  I can't wait for the next one!

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS