Finished wall art for a nursery-- first of a trio!

This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
on 6 Dec 2010 1:50 PM

Hello everyone, I thought I'd post this in here... I haven't posted anything in a LONG time!  Love the magazine.  :) 

Please let me know what you think!  This is an art quilt, one of three in a series that I'm making for my cousin's baby.

The concept:

The start:

More....

Some changes..

Major re-design:

And the finished product:

Sorry for the picture overload! 

I'm pretty new to art quilts and sewing, so when it came time to quilt the darn thing, I chickened out and framed it instead.  I'm still extremely happy with how things worked out!  Any constructive criticism is welcome.  Had I more time, I would have added more to the foreground. 

It is made out of commercial prints and batiks.  I have glued in some scrapbooking details like some of the little flowers, the "Happiness lives here" sign, and the nameplate.  I love taking details from odd commercial prints and fabrics and turning them into something totally different. 

Thanks in advance!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on 6 Dec 2010 1:52 PM

Oh also-- it is sized 11x24.  Obscure size, I know.  It was originally going to be 12x24, but the frame I found that worked cut an inch off of the width. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 78
DinahT wrote
on 7 Dec 2010 9:49 AM

I think that you have done very well with this.

One thing I would most likely add is some thread-painted some grass around the water. It would help to soften the edge and blend the two together a little more.

By the way, I LOVE the mountains and I look forward to the rest of the pieces.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 11
Lissa quilts wrote
on 10 Dec 2010 9:19 AM

What a beautiful piece!  Just adorable.  What was your inspiration? I also love your horse photo id?  Just getting it finished is a major accomplishment regardless of time constraints.  I think the frame idea was great.  I too am new to quilt art.  I love landscapes, realistic stuff.  Not much on abstract though. 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on 11 Dec 2010 5:29 PM

Oh Wow!  This is so beautiful.  Thanks for posting the progress pictures.  It helps me to understand how a quilt like this is put together.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
createandsew wrote
on 23 Dec 2010 9:42 AM

It's great to see the work in progress and the finished project is unique and personal.  Quilting is another whole experience, so, done is good.  Next one can include the quilting, lol.

Rae

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 116
on 11 Jan 2011 11:44 AM

Thanks for taking us on your journey!  Great photos.  Beautiful quilt, though not actually quilted.  I hope you will take the leap!  I'm having problems making that leap right now on a quilt I just finished and I don't want to ruin.  I've always done very minimal quilting and this one will be heavily quilted.  While I'm trying to gain confidence I'm checking out a 365 day challenge of free motion quilter, you might like to check it out, too.  http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/ So, now I'm planning some practice quilting and thinking I may go for trying out a wholecloth quilt and painting over it in the style of the QA Dec 2010/Jan 2011   issue.  "Quilted & Painted Canvases: Create unique backgrounds for your art quilts" by Ana Buzzalino.

What a special treat for Sophia!

Barbara Triscari   ~Artsi Fartsi Triscartsi~ 

www.triscartsi.com       www.betoncat.com    www.Triscartsi.etsy.com     www.betoncat.etsy.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 88
hpthecat wrote
on 23 Jan 2011 1:55 AM

Appliquequeen-- thank you for showing this as a process. The piece really speaks to you as you (the artist's) as the progression goes along.

Barbara-- went to your site and saw the hand died fabrics, beautiful!

Bernina 820, Babylock Evolution, Babylock Embellisher, Babylock Audrey.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS