Sea Turtle Quilt

This post has 17 Replies | 8 Followers rated by 2 users
Not Ranked
Posts 2
on 14 Dec 2010 3:41 PM

I decided to try something new with this quilt and work with felt. I created the image in photoshop and then took that to Kinko's and had it printed the actual size of the quilt. I began by making all of the sea vegetation first.

I created the big red anemone out of individual pieces that I then hand sewed together.

I did this with each of the pieces. Then they were hand painted with magic markers and acrylic fabric paint.

I then hand sewed them onto the background of the quilt. Then I created the individual turtles by cutting the basic outline out of felt, then I sewed the background fabric behind the felt grid and cut the small pieces and sewed them onto the head, arms and legs.

These were then hand sewed onto the background and I basted the whole piece together with cotton baton and background fabric.

I hand never used a machine to quilt, all my other quilts were done by hand, on the encouragement of my husband Larry I took out my old 1591 straight stitch Singer from 1952, read the directions on free motion quilting and quilted the whole thing. I have to say it was some what nerve racking but, it came out fantastic.

Then the quilt was bound, beading and glitter were added to finish it off.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 892
Muppin wrote
on 15 Dec 2010 7:16 AM

It's beautiful!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
bydongo wrote
on 15 Dec 2010 9:10 AM

We just took 2 of my grandchildren to the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago over Thanksgiving and they (and my hubby and I) fell in love with the turtles.  I'm just getting started with fabric art, and am in total awe.  I love this, and hope someday to make something that wonderful.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 18 Dec 2010 10:43 AM

I have to say this is beautiful. Sea turtles are dear to my heart. I grew up in central Iowa. My dad always looking for a way to make big money. As a child he worked for a relative on the carnival. he decided he would get a sae turtle, conect with a carnival and educate people out on the road summer of1965. When he was close to home I would get to go help show our turtle. oh by the way, the turtle was from the Mediteranian Sea. That turtle gave me very fond memories of that summer. Dad didn't make his big money, but the rest of the lessons and memories make up for it.

Thanks again for sharing. Kate Schloemer

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
createandsew wrote
on 23 Dec 2010 9:36 AM

What a great quilt!  I have batik fabrics collected to do a sea scene with turtles and even a sample turtle done - but, i really like the dimension of the felt!  New ideas are shaping - I also think some needle felting would be a way to add to this idea.

I haven't visited this site in a while, i will have to come back more often,  This is an awesome motivation.

Rae

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 27 Dec 2010 4:49 AM

Awesome job!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
prisw66 wrote
on 31 Dec 2010 6:22 PM

This is just wonderfull!  I am stuttering and delaying over machine quilting and am sooo impressed at what you have accomplished the first go.  Terrific!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 95
Carole31 wrote
on 31 Dec 2010 6:40 PM

This is Fantastic!! Good for you, just getting in and quilting. This is certainly beautiful and I hope you are planning on showing this.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 116
on 11 Jan 2011 10:36 AM

I love the batiks you used in the turtle.  They give added interest and depth.  I love texture and like to see lots of it in quilts and one of the best compliment I have and want to hear is "I want to touch it!"  Your quilt makes me want to touch it.  Beautiful execution and the quilting looks nice!  Great job for a first time machine free motion quilting and on an old machine! 

Barbara Triscari   ~Artsi Fartsi Triscartsi~ 

www.triscartsi.com       www.betoncat.com    www.Triscartsi.etsy.com     www.betoncat.etsy.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 88
hpthecat wrote
on 23 Jan 2011 2:05 AM

This really is amazing.

You mention that you had always hand quilted, what about your felt? did make the felt fabric with roving on one of the new felting machines??? Or did you poke it all out manually? or use wet felting technique??

Bernina 820, Babylock Evolution, Babylock Embellisher, Babylock Audrey.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
fishingwidow wrote
on 27 Jan 2011 12:26 PM

Love your turtle quilt.  You did a great job.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
pat517 wrote
on 27 Jan 2011 1:27 PM

Gorgeous..... just love it

firequilt

Not Ranked
Posts 1
garnetrose wrote
on 28 Jan 2011 10:20 PM

That is amazing work. I  just love it.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Emily714 wrote
on 15 Feb 2011 10:34 AM

I think it's lovely. Really nice us of color, contrast, fabric choice, textural treatments, all terrific! Good job.

ESC - Maryland

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Judi Sprung wrote
on 16 Feb 2011 10:39 AM

WOW! I am just getting started in quilting arts.  Any suggestions to a newbie?

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS