Forum Challenge - A Word Challenge - Homophones/Homographs/Homonyms

This post has 17 Replies | 4 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 902
Muppin wrote
on 26 Jan 2011 7:10 AM

Hi everyone!  I'm organizing another forum wide "challenge" very similar to the reader challenges in QA magazine. This is to get our creativity ramped up, our brains working on ideas for future projects, our machines revved up and working, and much more.  I'm hoping to host these once a month, so feel free to use the "conversations" link in the upper right to suggest future themes and topics for us to use on future challenges!  Lots of people picked word based themes in our last round of suggestions so......

This month's challenge theme is :  "Homophones/Homographs/Homonymns"

Basic example: bass (fish)/ bass (a low sounding voice)

read (to understand words form a book) / read (to utter aloud)

red (a color)/ read ( to utter aloud)

meet/meat

Here are a couple of links to lists of words that are spelled the same with different meanings:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/wordscape/wordlist/homogrph.html#True

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophone

Here are some guidelines, but remember, this is all for fun.

1. Your work must be on the theme of "Homophones/Homographs/Homonyms". It's up to you to interpret this theme any way you want.

2. It can be any size.

3. To participate in the challenge online, post a picture of your FINISHED project and put it in this thread by posting a reply here (hit the reply button and post your message and attach your picture) or post your FINISHED project picture in the QA gallery and post a link to it on this thread.  This is so we can all see it.  The piece must be quilted, have 3 layers, and a binding or edging of some sort to be finished.

4. In your message, write a little about how you came up with your design, what you were thinking about when you made it, or how the piece applies to the theme.

5. The entries for this themed challenge ends on February 28th.

6.  We will have prizes again, and the winner will be chosen randomly from the members who post their completed work on this thread by the deadline.

7.  Please try to make a new piece for this challenge.  This is all about stretching yourself and getting your creativity ramped up.  If you are stumped on this subject, post your ideas and we will try to help you!  This is what this forum is all about. We are here to help you!  Plus, we love your in progress photos!

8. Have FUN!!!!

If you have any questions about our challenge, post them here and I will be happy to answer them. I hope you have fun.   Let's create some quilt art!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 26 Jan 2011 10:29 AM

The last forum challenge was so much easier to come up with....I will have to exert some brain power for this one.   Do names count?

Caren12

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 902
Muppin wrote
on 26 Jan 2011 10:34 AM

Sure!  Like august August, and rose Rose, and many others!  It's meant to make you think! :)

Cheryl

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 35
cdlewis wrote
on 27 Jan 2011 11:15 AM

Awesome!  Im excited.  This one will definitely take some thought.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 35
cdlewis wrote
on 2 Feb 2011 4:27 PM

For this challenge, I chose Homonyms and selected the words pray (to speak to a God), prey (a victim).  For some reason I instantly thought of a praying mantis in a compromising position and praying that he would not become the next prey.  I drew out the design and then had fun selecting the fabrics.  I really enjoyed making the branch.  I had a lot of fun playing with color, using raw edge applique, thread painting and some beading.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 3 Feb 2011 7:05 AM

Oh! that looks awsome.  I spent last night coming up with a Tale to tell.  I'm not a writer, I just pretend to be one on the web!  I plan on working some of this into a quilt.....hopefully.

The knight at night sat upon his faithful horse

He was on his way to see his fare maid at the harvest fair

The wind blew his blue pennant, causing it to snap

On his journey he slept in fields with flocks of sheep munching on phlox

He sang songs on the road, as he rode to the fair to see his bonny lass.

He sang until he was hoarse (of course)

He has been to Rome to see the Parthenon

He went to Jerusalem to seize the Holy City.

He rowed across the Irish Sea… all for his fare maid Mary.

Now he roams no more, home he returns.

He seeks to marry the merry maid, Mary.

What a lovely pair the two shall make

The Knight and the lovely Maid of Pears.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 35
cdlewis wrote
on 3 Feb 2011 9:07 AM

Thanks Caren.  I love that!  I cant wait to see the quilt!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 902
Muppin wrote
on 3 Feb 2011 5:23 PM

cdlewis!  Great interpretation of the theme!!!!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 35
cdlewis wrote
on 3 Feb 2011 7:26 PM

Thanks Cheryl.

Deon Lewis

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 88
hpthecat wrote
on 4 Feb 2011 2:46 AM

I just wanted to say, this is a beautiful piece of work!

Bernina 820, Babylock Evolution, Babylock Embellisher, Babylock Audrey.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
lceesay wrote
on 7 Feb 2011 8:11 AM

I am responding to the latest challenge which is about homonyms/homographs/homophones.  My piece is titled "Mad as a March Hare: I Put My 'Hare' up to Show Off My 5 'Carrot' Necklace!!" I chose 2 words: hair/hare because I am a hairdresser and thought that would be fun and as I was designing the piece I also thought of carrot/carat. I put rabbits or hares in place of  the woman's hair and I made a 5 "carrot" necklace for jewelry around the woman's neck. I made the carrots out of Sculpey molding clay and made them into buttons. I started feeling  this was a bit like Alice in Wonderland and the woman's make up became the Mad Hatter's style make up. I embellished my piece with fabric paint, glitter nail polish and rhinestones. The applique' s raw edged and fused. The piece is machine quilted.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 7 Feb 2011 11:25 AM

I love that.  That is so cool.  OK....I have to go back to the drawing board.  These are so much better than mine!

Caren12

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 902
Muppin wrote
on 18 Feb 2011 8:51 AM

I'm super stoked about the work so far!  Don't forget our deadline is Feb 28th!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 23 Feb 2011 4:02 PM

I just finished "The Knight at Night".  The tale I wrote about his is posted above.  I wrote the tale on the background.  The horse is a suede like fabric, so it is soft and fuzzy.  The cape is 3D.  I think I made him a little "heavy".  He was fun none the less.  Can't wait until next month.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 902
Muppin wrote
on 24 Feb 2011 6:50 AM

Karen-

That's awesome!  Thanks for entering!

Cheryl / Muppin

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS