suggestions needed

This post has 10 Replies | 8 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
SewFun262 wrote
on 13 Feb 2011 12:02 PM

I have a 12 x 12 room -  I want to completely gut this room and make it into a functional studio.  I'm lucky to have a five foot walk in closet for fabric storagel.

First thing is flooring - I would like to use either wood or tile - any comments pros or cons?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 230
ckquilter wrote
on 14 Feb 2011 7:33 PM

wood is beautiful - softer and warmer than tile. if i lived north, the warmth would be a plus. may need to be refinished more often.

if you are gonna do messy stuff - paint/discharge inside - the wood may not stand up as well.

the tile is harder, colder, easier to clean - with water/mopping.         if i lived in a warm climate, the cool tile underfoot might feel better. but it is harder.

the tile might be a better surface if you plan on doing messy stuff inside.     but if just sewing - no painting or discharge inside (they are better done outside anyways) then wood could be just as nice.

if you are gonna gut the room anyway - make sure you get plenty of good lighting.              

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 166
on 17 Feb 2011 12:34 PM

My sewing room has a wood floor with a 5x8 carpet where the computer chair sits, bare wood under the sewing table - the easier to find dropped pins. The room that I paint and dye in has a painted wood floor that mops up quickly when I spill, which of course, I NEVER do.

We have tile in the kitchen, which is actually warmer than the linoleum blocks in the bathroom.

Make sure you have enough grounded outlets, this is an old house and we've put in a bit more than twice as many as were here. 

I have one of those closets, too.  Shelving makes it easier to order.

Kathleen

gallery

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bonita38 wrote
on 19 Feb 2011 2:58 PM

I have 18 x 18" ceramic tile and love it. I can sweep it clean, mop it (fat chance) and roll my chairs and other things around easily. I also live in the southwest so it looks great also. I love it.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Hazel18 wrote
on 19 Feb 2011 3:52 PM

I have laminate flooring.  Looks like wood, easy to clean, wears well.  I have a floor protector (from office supply shop) under my sewing machine able.  Easy to find dropped pins, etc.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 235
on 4 Mar 2011 8:28 AM

Personally, I love the wood floors in my studio. I feel like the natural warmth of the wood makes my studio more cozy. However, I have to agree that if you are working with paint or dye that laminate might be a good option.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 88
hpthecat wrote
on 18 Apr 2011 1:34 AM

My sewing/craft room is an upstairs re-purposed bedroom that is 10x10 with walk in closet. The messiest liquid task I do is water color painting, so that is not too much of an issue. The issue is--- the dog. The dog-- and money.

I went with the top level of Pergo laminate because it is meant to stand up to pets. So far the worst accident in this room regarding the floor-- was when a computer printer fell off a table and hit the floor. (Don't ask). The floor doesn't even look like anything happened to it. The installer estimated the job at 167 sq feet-- including having my nice mouldings removed and re-installed to rest on top of the 'floating' floor-- all materials/labor-- the whole shabang was $1200. I couldn't even imagine spending more then that. That was plenty luxury for me-- I do notice the darker shades of laminate look more authentic, or at least classier IMO.

I also had a four foot, four tube florescent light fixture installed on the ceiling. It's like someone peeled the roof off, I can see so much better. There is also a Blu Max light mounted to my main work area and a more stylish Ott floor lamp by the wing back chair and ottoman where I like to take a break and just admire my work or contemplate it over a cup of tea. 

The last major thing I want to do on this room-- is install a door with a decorative glass panel in it. This way I can shut the room off, (keep dog from finding things to choke on, hide mess), without sacrificing daylight streaming through the window into room. In Washington State this can really be an issue as homes can become very cave like up here due to weather conditions.

Anyway, I hope my ideas helped stimulate some thoughts for you.

Bernina 820, Babylock Evolution, Babylock Embellisher, Babylock Audrey.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 429
on 2 Jun 2011 3:02 PM

If you want a really unique floor to your studio you should check out page 25 of our latest (Summer, 2011) issue - there is a floor made up of brown bags!

You can find the issue here: http://www.interweavestore.com/Mixed-Media/Magazines/Studios-Summer-2011.html?SessionThemeID=16 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 468
okieLinda wrote
on 4 Jun 2011 9:49 AM

Personally Im just glad to have a floor I dont fall thru out here but when I dream I dream big so here goes :) I once heard of some people that bought a old house and when they stripped out the old carpet they found a  full house full of tiger oak floors, otherwise known as quarter sawn oak that was outlaw 100 years ago for using to much wood the wood was worth ten times what they paid for the house, Maybe they make something that would look like that but wear better and then nice area rugs under my chair and  a plastic surface mat under the computer chair and sewing machine chair ,I would be in  heaven with a room like that :) Whatever you chose make it what you would be the happiest in and your quilts will show it forever !

Not Ranked
Posts 1
lionjill wrote
on 30 Jul 2011 9:29 AM

I really liked this floor idea - but wondered how it would hold up. The space I was considering this for (not actually my studio, but a family room) has an outside entrance to our home, so it would end up getting a lot of traffic. What do you think?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 88
hpthecat wrote
on 30 Jul 2011 9:50 AM

lionjill:

I really liked this floor idea - but wondered how it would hold up. The space I was considering this for (not actually my studio, but a family room) has an outside entrance to our home, so it would end up getting a lot of traffic. What do you think?

I am responding because I received an auto e-mail from Quilting Arts.....presumably this was a reply to mine??

If so-- in regard to Pergo or quality laminate flooring-- I can say this:

My sister has a high traffic den with glass slider to the back yard....and 5 dogs! Her laminate (which I think she got through Empire Carpets and Flooring), is holding up real nice!! It looks real good, the flooring people wouldn't sell her on a real wood floor due to the animals. It is easy to keep up, she keeps a rug at the back door, and is quik to take care of any spills, which really doesn't happen to much anyway.

My Pergo takes far less abuse...but I have been very happy with it. So far my one lone dachsund has not put a scratch in it. You'de never know a dog is ever on it. So for the cost factor-- it's a nice respectable flooring I think.

Bernina 820, Babylock Evolution, Babylock Embellisher, Babylock Audrey.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS