2 of my art quilts.

This post has 13 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
on 20 Mar 2011 5:52 PM

Frozen lake

I made this quilt after a photo taken by Carlos Alberto Bau, a great photographer who died in a plane crash at the beginning of 2010. The picture depicts a frozen lake and the Andes in the south of the Patagonia. The sky is red because I assume it was at dusk time. I used machine appliqué and machine free hand quilting to make the quilt. It measures about 7-3/4" x 7-3/4".

River among pebbles.

Another landscape quilt after a photo by Carlos Alberto Bau. It's about 7"x6". Machine embroidery and machine appliquè. Maybe he took the picture on a summer afternoon by a river in the mountains.

Hope you like them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 166
on 21 Mar 2011 7:35 AM

These are wonderful.

Did you use sheers for the frozen lake and the stream?  Your detail is incredible.

Kathleen

gallery

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 888
Muppin wrote
on 21 Mar 2011 8:02 AM

Gorgeous!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
on 21 Mar 2011 4:46 PM

Translate, please!!! : sheers.

thanks for the comments.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 95
Carole31 wrote
on 21 Mar 2011 6:22 PM

These are lovely... you did a very good job!

Carole

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 95
Carole31 wrote
on 21 Mar 2011 6:22 PM

These are lovely... you did a very good job!

Carole

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 166
on 22 Mar 2011 4:51 AM

sheers: organza or tulle, netting, any transparent fabric.

Kathleen

gallery

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
on 22 Mar 2011 8:16 PM

I used organza for the water and underneath the same fabric with the rocks/pebbles so that I could give that transparency? effect.

Is my English good enough to explain things to you?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 166
on 23 Mar 2011 6:16 AM

Yes, your English is very good and the explanation is perfect.  And the technique is perfect, too.

Kathleen

gallery

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 88
hpthecat wrote
on 27 Mar 2011 3:55 PM

These are really pretty. Hard to believe they are so small! Amazing!

Bernina 820, Babylock Evolution, Babylock Embellisher, Babylock Audrey.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
Amandals wrote
on 10 May 2011 8:19 AM

wow these are amazing!  ive recently discoverd quilitng arts magazine and this website and its so inspirational to see other peoples work and the high standard of it.  I really like the techniques you've used to create the shading and the feeling of depth to the pieces.  I think working from photographs is a good idea as the composition is there for you to work from and will use this as my starting point.

Can I ask how long you've been making art quilts?

amanda

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
on 11 May 2011 5:36 PM

Hi, Amanda! Thank you very much for your comments. When I find a photo to copy I sit at my sewing machine and pretend that the needle is a pencil and then I start "drawing" with thread. These quilts are new, they are very little. I have others which are bigger but the technique is not that good.

Start with pictorial quilts. You'll love it!

Best regards from Argentina!

Pat

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
Amandals wrote
on 12 May 2011 8:54 AM

Hi Pat

Thanks for the tip!  Ive done some free motion embroidery using black thread to create a 'sketchy' feel before but never with quilting- im now inspried to give it a go and add colour and texture!

amanda

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
on 12 May 2011 7:54 PM

Hi! The new quilt I am getting ready for the next exhibition is "almost" black. Difficult! but I'm still trying.

I sent you a request for frienship so that I can send you photos of my quilts and you can see how you might start.

thanks for your comments.

all the best

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS