Inkjet Printers

This post has 12 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
MAH4 wrote
on 24 Mar 2011 3:11 PM

Hi, I'm fairly new to the Art Quilt world and want to purchase an inkjet printer to make use of some of the new products, i.e. printing onto cotton, organza, silk, canvas (all paper backed for printers) and lutradur. It seems that people like the Epsons the best.

What do you have and how do you like it?

Thanks from Canada MAH4

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on 25 Mar 2011 12:29 PM

Epson.. Why?  Quality of their ink.  Always check out the ink for fade resistance, water resistant, Fast drying, all these are on the ink packaging.  I have a large format Epson 13 x 19 inches with 6 colors of ink..  Great for canvas reproduction of art, so you know it is good on muslin.  Also, have an Epson all-in-one with 4 colors in my sewing room.  This is the one I experiament with on all sorts of "cloth".

Enjoy and always have fun..

Sheila

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 88
hpthecat wrote
on 25 Mar 2011 3:40 PM

I have an Epson Artisan 800. If I could use Epson in an HP printer that would be my preference. I do not like Epsons software and there are some limitations with my machine that I don't care for.

I appreciate your asking this question though because it has sent me researching, and maybe I can have Pigmented Ink through an HP machine....

Here are some sights for you to check out:

http://www.oddparts.com/ink/faq19.htm

http://www.inkjetart.com/cart/

Bernina 820, Babylock Evolution, Babylock Embellisher, Babylock Audrey.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 274
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 25 Mar 2011 4:39 PM

Be careful when you DO select your printer that the replacement toner is readily available to you. One of our printers was manufactured for a specific retailer and that retailer is the ONLY place we can get the toner - which means over an hour's drive there and back to get replacements.

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Not Ranked
Posts 1
pattyjo7686 wrote
on 2 Apr 2011 7:00 PM

I have a HP 6500 and I lave it. the Ink you can get just about anywhere.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Aoidh wrote
on 15 Apr 2011 4:33 AM

Guys,,,,,,,,,,I have the HP Laserjet Pro M1536dnf Multifunction Printer  which is the best one . There is no issue involve regarding Fax, Scan, Printing  . In k is also available for it .  

Vishal Bhatia

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
cazms5 wrote
on 23 Sep 2011 7:08 AM

I'd love to reopen this discussion on ink jet printers.  I had an Epson for several years that I LOVED.  When it quit working, I replaced it with another Epson which I HATE.  It jams if I run anything through it other than printer paper or photo paper.  I'm so frustrated because I want the ability to print on fabric and other media.  I am hoping others will share the model numbers of the printers they are using that work well for all types of media.  I want to make sure that, with my next purchase, I have a printer that I will, once again, love.  Thanks for your input!

Melissa

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
RUEdOAK wrote
on 23 Sep 2011 10:17 PM

I have had good luck with an older Epson, but it died, and am now using an HP Deskjet 6840. The problem is the feed, as it has to bend. Hence I have trouble printing fabric (with a freezer paper backing). I am also interested in recommendations for printers that work well with fabric and heavy paper stock.

Jen

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
MAH4 wrote
on 24 Sep 2011 3:39 PM

Hi, after I posted the original query, I emailed a couple of the better known art quilt people and asked their opinions and selected an Espon R1900 and so far LOVE it. I am an HP person when it comes to my office laser printer needs and love them, but had been advised that Epsons were the go to brand for fabric printing.

While the printer is a tad large, I like it because it will take larger format sheets (9 X 13) and will take rolls of canvas and cotton prepared on a paper back for printing. I also like that all the ink cartridges are separate and they have 8 - cyan, yellow and magenta as well as black, matte black, orange, red and a gloss for photos. It has an almost straight through feed for the paper backed fabrics which is nice. That's a feature that I also love on my HP laser printer as I can feed through heavier papers that don't need to curl around and come out.

When I  picked up my printer I also picked up a sample package of Inkpress papers, 17 different sheets to try out. The pack included a couple of canvas sheets, a transparency, mylar, gloss and matte photo papers to name a few. At present I have only used the EQ fabric sheets and they turned out very well.

After some shopping around I got an awesome price on the Epson and the cartridges are reasonably priced. I hope this helps.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
RUEdOAK wrote
on 24 Sep 2011 6:30 PM

This is great to know. I was looking at printers online again yesterday, given this thread. What I see, though, is that the R1900 has now been replaced by the R2000. How recently did you get your R1900?

Jen

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 225
ckquilter wrote
on 24 Sep 2011 8:14 PM

hi melissa

just one thing you should check on your printer - i don't know what model you have, or if this even pertains to your model.

some epsons have paper thickness settings. for standard paper, and then a second for thicker paper (like envelopes).

you might look carefully at your owners manual. my adjustment is in the inside when i swing down the front to print; on the left as i face it.

i don't know if that helps - but double check your model.                  ckquilter

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
MAH4 wrote
on 25 Sep 2011 3:06 PM

Hi, I just bought my R1900 in the late spring.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
MAH4 wrote
on 25 Sep 2011 3:06 PM

Hi, I just bought my R1900 in the late spring.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS