Forum Challenge - One Color!

This post has 31 Replies | 10 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 905
Muppin wrote
on 28 Mar 2011 3:45 PM

Hi everyone!  I'm organizing another forum wide "challenge" very similar to the reader challenges in QA magazine. This is to get our creativity ramped up, our brains working on ideas for future projects, our machines revved up and working, and much more.  I'm hoping to host these once a month, so feel free to use the "conversations" link in the upper right to suggest future themes and topics for us to use on future challenges!

This month's challenge theme is :  All one color!

This month we get to play with one color and learn all about value, tones, and the various intricacies of working with one single color!  You can pick your favorite color, or a color that is particularly challenging to you. I don't know about you, but this winter was particularly hard here in the Midwest and I'm looking forward to some COLOR!

The prize for this challenge is a copy of the latest 101 Patchwork Projects + Quilts! The publishers of Quilting Arts Magazine are pleased to announce our newest and largest special issue to date: 101 Patchwork Projects + Quilts!  This super-sized 196-page issue is packed with quick and easy contemporary patchwork projects, including home decor, gifts and accessories!  

I'm attaching a "one color" patchwork project I made that challenged me to use nothing but the color Orange! 

I can't wait to see what you all come up with!

Here are some guidelines, but remember, this is all for fun.

1. Your work can be various shades, values and tones of a color, but it all must be ONE COLOR!

2. It can be any size.

3. To participate in the challenge online, post a picture of your FINISHED project and put it in this thread by posting a reply here (hit the reply button and post your message and attach your picture) or post your FINISHED project picture in the QA gallery and post a link to it on this thread.  This is so we can all see it.  The piece must be quilted, have 3 layers, and a binding or edging of some sort to be finished.

4. In your message, write a little about how you came up with your design, what you were thinking about when you made it, or how the piece applies to the theme.

5. The entries for this themed challenge ends on April 28th.

6.  We will have prizes again, and the winner will be chosen randomly from the members who post their completed work on this thread by the deadline.

7.  Please try to make a new piece for this challenge.  This is all about stretching yourself and getting your creativity ramped up.  If you are stumped on this subject, post your ideas and we will try to help you!  This is what this forum is all about. We are here to help you!  Plus, we love your in progress photos!

8. Have FUN!!!!

If you have any questions about our challenge, post them here and I will be happy to answer them. I hope you have fun.   Let's create some quilt art!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 166
on 30 Mar 2011 2:44 PM

I just painted a piece (today!) that fits this challenge - reds, red ochre, oriental red, ah, red red - but it has a few spots of yellow of necessity for the subject.  Will this disqualify me?

Kathleen

gallery

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 905
Muppin wrote
on 31 Mar 2011 9:05 AM

Yeah, this is supposed to be just the one color!  I hope you join us!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 24
nor easter wrote
on 31 Mar 2011 11:42 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the awesome theme, Muppin!  I have had a series taking root in my brain for months and months and this is just the kick I needed to get moving on it.  Perfect timing and with snow coming tomorrow, I can sew all day!!  Life is truly grand!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 31 Mar 2011 3:14 PM

I love this idea.  Count me in.  I have been wanting to do something with just one color.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Kellyt2 wrote
on 31 Mar 2011 3:25 PM

what is the size you had in mind?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 905
Muppin wrote
on 4 Apr 2011 7:06 AM

It can be any size!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 10
NeonKitty wrote
on 4 Apr 2011 5:32 PM

awesome idea!!!  I knew there had to be some future purpose for everything purple I've collected :-)...will be fun to see which colors pop up as the most-frequently used for this challenge.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
sofie99 wrote
on 8 Apr 2011 6:07 AM

This is my Vertigo quilt - I blogged it here: http://allthingsbelle.blogspot.com/2011/03/its-done-its-done.html

I created this quilt for the Modern Quilt Challenge last month - they had a single color challenge as well. 

I'm a huge Alfred Hitchcock fan and I love the movie "Vertigo". For some reason when I read about the challenge, I was really inspired by the movie. It's all about that sense of loss, of falling, of being unable to steady yourself. They are uneasy feelings. So I choose a lot of acidic greens to create the sense of alarm and stress. The quilt I'm sure is obviously a modern spin on the log cabin square. I changed it by using various widths and chopping corners. My hope is that this would create a sense of motion..and well, vertigo.

You can see the full quilt on my blog post.

Thank you!

-Jennifer

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 429
on 15 Apr 2011 6:42 AM

This is a GREAT challenge! I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 905
Muppin wrote
on 20 Apr 2011 12:11 PM

A reminder that our challenge deadline is next week!  Hope you are all having fun making items in ONE COLOR!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 166
on 20 Apr 2011 2:00 PM

I have three - two 'almost' one color and one absolutely one color.  I've always been bad with taking direction...

Kathleen

gallery

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 166
on 20 Apr 2011 2:33 PM

The blue one that has a gold fish and a red worm amongst the quilting:

Kathleen

gallery

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 905
Muppin wrote
on 21 Apr 2011 7:35 AM

Awesome Kathleen!  Thanks for participating!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
sasusu wrote
on 21 Apr 2011 10:16 AM

Hello!

Here is "My Blue Fun" quilt. It's 45.5" x 45" and is machine pieced and machine quilted. It was quite a challenge to stay within one color! 

Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS