Inspiration needed

This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Vipercat wrote
on 30 Apr 2011 1:16 AM

I am a traditional quilter and I would dearly love to do an art quilt.  I've been doodling in a journal but nothing is really taking off.  I don't know which 'topic' 'style' or 'subject' is me.  I like so make different looking styles.  I would like to keep to thread and fabric as I'm not really into the mess and cleanup that painting  brings with it.

I presume these are normal problems when facing something new and challenging.  Any guidance would be good!!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
CYooOhio wrote
on 30 Apr 2011 5:53 AM

I suggest you try Thread Painting since you want to stick with fabric and thread.  I have seen magnificent works of art using just fabric and thread.  There are oodles of books and DVD instructional materials on this sight (just click on SHOP then search for thread painting) and there are classes in thread painting at just about all quilt shows.  You can also print images on fabric then embellish them with thread painting.  Too much fun!!!  Here is a good link too. 

http://www.quiltingdaily.com/blogs/quilting-daily/archive/2010/07/15/make-your-focal-point-pop-with-thread-painting.aspx

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Vipercat wrote
on 30 Apr 2011 8:14 PM

Thank you.  I'll explore thread painting.  I have been collecting the Quilting Arts and Stitch Magazines and thought I should have a go at some of the projects but wasn't sure if this would continue my pattern of doing other peoples work and ideas.  I would like to develop something that is me ... Cheers

Karen

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 906
Muppin wrote
on 1 May 2011 1:56 PM

Karen-

Even the master painters copied and did exercises in the styles of the master painters before them.  It's absolutely no problem to do techniques others have created in order to find your voice and own unique spin.

We're having a forum challenge tomorrow that will explore just this idea!

Thanks

Cheryl/ Muppin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 230
ckquilter wrote
on 2 May 2011 1:52 AM

hi karen

i want to applaud your wanting to do your own thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you will find it challenging - but immensely rewarding.

sometimes it is hard to narrow down the possiblities. soooo,

what do you love? what is important in your life? in your world; right now?

if you were gonna tell a story to someone, about something that means a lot to you - what would it be about?     those are what you should be thinking about exploring and portraying in your art.

playing with small projects and using the ideas from the magazines or books can be a good way of learning methods - something we all like doing. and it sure helps with future projectsto know how to do many methods.

but - there also comes a time when,if you want to actually create, you need to put aside the crutches, and walk on following your own path.

you could start by making  a list of ideas you want to use. do you want to work in a series - and which ideas on your list will lend themselves to a series?          once you have a list, is there one idea on there that really says - do ME now!! that would be a good place to start.

if  you have a journal - maybe one of the ideas from there. or have taken a trip recently or are planning to - that could be a quilt. or is there something about your family or a pet you want to tell the story of.   or something from your garden.

any of the ideas could be made into a pictorial quilt. or you could use the ideas and feelings and make them more abstract. or totally abstract.

soooooooo many ideas. i just need more time to sew!!!         one of the sayings i like is :

the only way for a woman, as for a man, to truly know herself, is through creative work of her own.                         ckquilter

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Vipercat wrote
on 2 May 2011 5:53 AM

OK - this is what i'm thinking.  Can you please tell me if this idea has merit. I would like to start by making a fabric album of  different tenchiques (about 10"x10") from the magazines and website, and having prose or a famous quote that touches me  incorporated in the front work and written on the reverse (backing fabric).  I'm a bit partial to meaningful and inspirational sayings.

This way I can get to know me and learn what I can do and what I like ....

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 906
Muppin wrote
on 2 May 2011 6:18 AM

Vipercat- I think that's perfect!!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 230
ckquilter wrote
on 2 May 2011 5:25 PM

hi again

excellent way to get started!

working small always has advantages - especially when trying new things (and there are soo many tempting ideas to try!!) and putting them into an album can work . they could also be put together as a wall hanging - attached to each other and then quilted. or even easier, quilted and bound (try different binding methods also!) and then attached to each other - ribbon or needle lace or tabs or??

when i was just getting started quilting, i found a wonderful friend who had been quilting for over 60 years. she shared a lot with me and was a wonderful inspiration. one of the things she had done - was when she found a pattern or design she liked; she would make it as a small quilt; as an   8 by 10 inch quilt. but these were all pieced quilts - a mini version of a full size pattern. some of her pieces were as small as 1/4 inch. she would cut out the pieces and keep them in a matchbox - and i don't mean the big boxes! the little boxes held her pieces just fine. when finished, she would put the little quilt in a notebook. she could get 10 to 12 little quilts per book - and she had 6 books!! which did not include the little quilts she had given away (and lucky me, i have 3 of her mini quilts!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are among my most valued treasures.)

you have  already identified one area of personal interest - and each saying could be illustrated  or you can just focus on the words or even individual letters; and use different methods of creating them. youcould also quilt the saying onto the front - and then you don't necessarily have to write it on the back. or you could put it on the label. if you do write it on the back - try different methods for that also.

you also don't need to limit yourself to just english.you can use other languages. i have used japanese kanji several times - it goes well with oriental fabrics. or you could use any other languages you know. 

youcan also use names and /or their meanings. i often use thesymbolism of my name's meaning in my quilts. i am deaf, and so when i take a class, someone goes with me to write for me. when she does, if i finish the class project, i will honor that person by including a version of their name's meaning in the quilt's title .(pure diamond moon ; sheri moon, pure starlight, sacred mountain moon goddess). i also quilt my name into every quilt. but usually with a thread color that blends with the fabric color - so it is there, but not noticeable unless you look real closely.

what is the source and meaning of your name?? and can you use that as a theme.

you might want to ask people to pass along their favorite sayings to you.  and just to get you started

"a little nonsense, now and then, is relished by the wisest  woman"                         ( italicized word is changed from the original)    ckquilter

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Vipercat wrote
on 4 May 2011 3:16 AM

Thank you for the encouragement!!.  I will get on and start.  I  would love to possess half of your knowledge and experience. ckquilter you have provided some very good avenues for me to build on and think more about and thank you for the quote.

Cheers Karen

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 230
ckquilter wrote
on 4 May 2011 5:26 PM

hi karen

good luck. have fun. and remember - having the experience and knowledge is great - but the process of learning is a blast!! you are gonna have a wonderful time.                        ckquilter

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS