Forum Challenge - Quilting Arts Magazine Techniques

This post has 18 Replies | 7 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 895
Muppin wrote
on 2 May 2011 6:28 AM

Hi everyone!  I'm organizing another forum wide "challenge" very similar to the reader challenges in QA magazine. This is to get our creativity ramped up, our brains working on ideas for future projects, our machines revved up and working, and much more.  I'm hoping to host these once a month, so feel free to use the "conversations" link in the upper right to suggest future themes and topics for us to use on future challenges!

This month's challenge theme is : Quilting Arts Magazine Techniques!

We're celebrating 10 years of Quilting Arts magazine all year long!  So grab your favorite or latest copy of Quilting Arts and try a technique or project from it's pages!  Many of us have seen something in Quilting Arts to inspire us and now's our chance to try out something new.   When posting your project, be sure to tell us what issue it came from, so those of us with back issues can give it a look-see and try it for ourselves.
If you want to be really ambitious, you can do a project with multiple techniques!  How fun would that be? 

I can't wait to see what you all come up with!

Here are some guidelines, but remember, this is all for fun.

1. Your work should be a technique, project, or otherwise inspired by an issue of Quilting Arts Magazine! Please be sure to tell us what issue it came from, and the page numbers would be helpful too.

2. It can be any size.

3. To participate in the challenge online, post a picture of your FINISHED project and put it in this thread by posting a reply here (hit the reply button and post your message and attach your picture) or post your FINISHED project picture in the QA gallery and post a link to it on this thread.  This is so we can all see it.  The piece must be quilted, have 3 layers, and a binding or edging of some sort to be finished.

4. In your message, write a little about how you came up with your design, what you were thinking about while you made it, and what issue your technique came from so we can try it too.

5. The entries for this themed challenge ends on May 31st.

6.  We will have prizes again, and the winner will be chosen randomly from the members who post their completed work on this thread by the deadline.

7.  Please make a new piece for this challenge.  Please do not post photos of an older project.  This is all about stretching yourself and getting your creativity ramped up.  If you are stumped on this subject, post your ideas and we will try to help you!  This is what this forum is all about. We are here to help you!  Plus, we love your in progress photos!

8. Have FUN!!!!

If you have any questions about our challenge, post them here and I will be happy to answer them. I hope you have fun.   Let's create some quilt art!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 2 May 2011 7:00 AM

This should be a blast... can't wait to see what everyone does!

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Shane B. wrote
on 2 May 2011 12:57 PM

I love trying new things, this is awesome!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 2 May 2011 1:28 PM

OK Muppin...

I'm in for this one too.  This one should be a lot of fun.  Every month my magazine is dogearred where I have marked techniques I will one day try.  I quess one day is here!   Thanks for running this forum challenge, they are so much fun.

caren

http://www.asthethreadbreaks.blogspot.com/

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 12 May 2011 1:13 PM

I rushed this one out.  It is small about 81/2 x 11.  I chose Thread painting, QA issue 38 (April/May 2009) page 18 by Carol Watkins.  I also used techniques I learned from the recent Knapp articles, as well as the many articles on using and amnipulating photos.  Some of the fabric was painted.   It was a lot of fun.  It will be off next week for AAQI.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 895
Muppin wrote
on 13 May 2011 8:23 AM

Caren-

It's beautiful!  Thanks for participating!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 895
Muppin wrote
on 20 May 2011 9:30 AM

Don't forget, our challenge runs until May 31st! 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
msbananas wrote
on 21 May 2011 5:15 PM

Very pretty work Caryn ...luv the colors

Not Ranked
Posts 7
marit1219 wrote
on 26 May 2011 3:27 PM

Just finished it today!

The completed concept of a pineapple that started with a sketch and developed into a water color piece is now a completed mixed media art work.  Before beginning the mixed media piece, I read an article about the fusing and handwork methods used by Laura Wasilowski (http://www.artfabrik.com) of the "Chicago School of Fusing" in Quilting Arts Magazine (2010 December/2011January).  Having always wanted to try fusing, I decided to give it a try.  I especially liked how she fused the fabric first and then cut out the pieces.  She also has developed a way to transfer a pattern to fabric by using the release paper from the fusing.  It works wonderfully!  After being inspired by the article, I enthusiastically visited her web site and found a plethora of advice ensure success.  She has videos and still photos that teach how to embroider and how to bind the quilt using fusing in a variety of ways.  She is truly an inspiration!

I used batik and other cotton fabrics; a variety of threads- variegated, quilting and embroidery; some small beads added to bring light to the pineapple surface; seta color paints to stencil the countertop; hand and machine embroidery; and hand and machine quilting.  I enjoy it all, so it is fun to put it all together into one piece

http://munique-marit.blogspot.com

Mary / munique-marit

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 895
Muppin wrote
on 27 May 2011 7:30 AM

Awesome Marit!  Thanks for participating!

Our contest ends this coming Tuesday!  If you are in the US, maybe you have a 3 day weekend like me, and hope to get your entry complete!

Thanks,

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 27 May 2011 10:56 AM

I love your pineapple.  You did a great job!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 895
Muppin wrote
on 31 May 2011 6:34 AM

Reminder, today is the last day for entry for this challenge, and we'll be drawing a random winner tomorrow morning!

Thanks,

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 895
Muppin wrote
on 1 Jun 2011 7:15 AM

We had two awesome challenge entries for our drawing this morning:

1. Caren12

2. Marit1219

And our winner is......................

caren12!!!!

Congratulations Caren!  Please use the "Conversations" int he upper right to send me your mailing address and we'll send you your prize! 

Thanks to everyone who participated in our recent challenge, and we'll definitely have another challenge up soon.  Next week we're going to be doing some fun stuff online in the galleries, so the challenge may be the week after that. 

As always, if you have ideas for the next challenges, please use the "Conversations" int he upper right corner of the web page and message me some of your ideas!

If you are working on a piece for this challenge and didn't finish in time for the contest, no worries!  You can still post your photos, we would love to see them!

Thanks,

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 1 Jun 2011 11:02 AM

Yippee....I'm so excited.  Thank you Muppin for running these forum challenges.  They are so much fun.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 429
on 2 Jun 2011 2:45 PM

Wow, these were really neat! Thank you to everyone who participated, and congrats to you Caren!

Thank you Muppin for putting on these wonderful challenges!

Lindsey

Assistant Editor; Special Projects

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS