Forum Challenge - It's Elemental

This post has 17 Replies | 7 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 895
Muppin wrote
on 20 Jun 2011 7:57 AM

Hi everyone!  I'm organizing another forum wide "challenge" very similar to the reader challenges in QA magazine. This is to get our creativity ramped up, our brains working on ideas for future projects, our machines revved up and working, and much more.  I'm hoping to host these once a month, so feel free to use the "conversations" link in the upper right to suggest future themes and topics for us to use on future challenges!

This month's challenge theme is : It's Elemental!

Earth, Air, Fire, Water - The basic four elements!  Pick one of the elements and make your interpretation.  Which is your favorite? If you want to be really ambitious, you can do a project with two, three, or all four elements!  How fun would that be? 

I can't wait to see what you all come up with!

Here are some guidelines, but remember, this is all for fun.

1. Your work should be a technique, project, or otherwise inspired by one (or more) of the four elements of Earth, Air, Fire, or Water! Please submit only new work made for this challenge.

2. It can be any size.

3. To participate in the challenge online, post a picture of your FINISHED project and put it in this thread by posting a reply here (hit the reply button and post your message and attach your picture) or post your FINISHED project picture in the QA gallery and post a link to it on this thread.  This is so we can all see it.  The piece must be quilted, have 3 layers, and a binding or edging of some sort to be finished.

4. In your message, write a little about how you came up with your design or what you were thinking about while you made it.  We love to hear about the process!

5. The entries for this themed challenge ends on July 31st.

6.  We will have prizes again, and the winner will be chosen randomly from the members who post their completed work on this thread by the deadline.

7.  Please make a new piece for this challenge.  Please do not post photos of an older project.  This is all about stretching yourself and getting your creativity ramped up.  If you are stumped on this subject, post your ideas and we will try to help you!  This is what this forum is all about. We are here to help you!  Plus, we love your in progress photos!

8. Have FUN!!!!

If you have any questions about our challenge, post them here and I will be happy to answer them. I hope you have fun.   Let's create some quilt art!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 20 Jun 2011 2:11 PM

Muppin

OHHHHH, this sounds like fun.  I can't wait to give this a try.  I'm glad I have a little extra time.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
RUEdOAK wrote
on 23 Jun 2011 7:27 PM

ohhhhh.....sign me on!

Jen

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 895
Muppin wrote
on 29 Jun 2011 8:03 PM

Hey everyone, we have lined up a super prize for this challenge.  It's a fabulous DVD by Jamie Fingal called "Rebel Quilting - Think Outside the Block"!!

Big thanks to Quilting Arts and Interweave for donating our fab prizes! 

Don't forget that our prizes are drawn randomly from those who enter the challenge, so read the rules on the first post in this thread and hope to see you here!
Cheryl /Muppin 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 30 Jun 2011 5:45 AM

OH....I want that DVD.  I love Jamie Fingal.  No one else can enter.  That way I will be the sure winner ;)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
jabotquilt wrote
on 4 Jul 2011 7:41 PM

K, definitely entering... thanks Cheryl=)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 895
Muppin wrote
on 19 Jul 2011 8:15 AM

Don't forget, our challenge ends on Sunday July 31st!

Thanks!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 24 Jul 2011 5:40 PM

OK.  I loved the theme for this month's challenge.... I had a hard time turning my ideas into an actual quilt.  I ended up making 2 little quilts.  Most of the projects I make for the forum challenge I donate for AAQI, so 2 quilts is ok.  I'm not totally happy with either quilt.

This one is called "Tranquility" .  The element is water.  I wanted something calming and simple.  Most things I do are the opposite of simple!  The blue ocean fabric was hand dyed by me.  Then I added some cheese cloth and a beach area.  I had to fight not to add sheels, beads, and lace.

This is called "Rocks in a Stream".  It was inspired by our recent trip to the Smockies.  The rocks are trapunto, my first attempt.  The leaf was thread work sewn on water soluble stabilizer.  Those are always fun.  I think I did too much quilting.  Regardless, of my dissatisfaction with the results, I finished the challenge.  Can't wait for next month!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
jabotquilt wrote
on 26 Jul 2011 6:23 PM

Here is my version of Fire.  

I had this really wild piece of fabric I had dyed and just didn't know what to do with until this challenge came along.   I decided to thread paint my version of fire.   The fabric reminded me of all the forest fires that happen each summer here in Canada.   They literally devastate huge areas of land.   The fires are certainly not pretty little campfires, but huge and massive and angry and destructive.   The fabric reminded me of that.  

I didn't draw out a shape, but let my hand and machine do the drawing. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 895
Muppin wrote
on 28 Jul 2011 8:22 PM

These are great, you two!!  we only have a couple of days left for this challenge!!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 166
on 31 Jul 2011 4:18 PM

I got my fabric painted, but there is no way I can get it finished - too much going on this month!

Kathleen

gallery

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 895
Muppin wrote
on 31 Jul 2011 8:45 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm on vacation with horrible internet and will pick the winner on Wednesday.  This gives everyone a couple more days!!!

cheryl / muppin

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 895
Muppin wrote
on 3 Aug 2011 1:13 PM

We had 2 entrants in our challenge this month for our drawing:

1. caren12

2. jabotquilt

And the winner is:

JABOTQUILT!  

Congratulations and please use the upper right hand corner "Conversations" to send me your mailing address so we can send you your prize!

We'll have another challenge up next week sometime, but please be sure to tell me any themes you'd like to see us do!

Thanks!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
RUEdOAK wrote
on 17 Sep 2011 8:57 PM

I'm so sorry to have missed this! I started a piece but got called away for work unexpectedly, and have not gotten back to it until just this week. For the fun of it, when I finish, can I still post it?

Jen

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 895
Muppin wrote
on 19 Sep 2011 8:21 AM

Of course, Jen!  We'd love to see it!

Cheryl / Muppin

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS