Books on a border

This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
busybee1952 wrote
on 24 Jun 2011 9:45 PM

Hi Everyone,

New here so if I'm posting in the wrong spot, just yell at me!  I'm working on a family tree quilt which consists of a landscape type thing in the middle and I wanted to have a place for people to sign the quilt on the two long borders.  Finished size will be about 70 x 90.  I've decided to TRY to make it look like there are open books all down the border and then people can sign on the "open page" of the book.  I found some great fabric that looks like old leather and thought I would use regular unbleached fine muslin for the pages.  I want it to look sorta like this:  http://www.womanofworth.co.za/GoldDaisy-open.jpg  Does anyone have any ideas on how I can cut, sew, or otherwise make this look really great on my quilt border?  I'm thinking I could print out that book and maybe use it for a pattern for my leatherlook fabric and muslin and it will have to go on a background piece because of the angles, but more than that and I'm lost.  Any ideas?  Thanks so much!

Pat

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 166
on 25 Jun 2011 8:43 AM

If I were doing that, I think I would put a strip of muslin and then the 'leather' and divide the 'book's' from each other with appliqued ribbon.  Ironing the seams toward the leather fabric would give it the dimensional look of the cover, or you could even put an extra layer of thin batting under it for more of the look.

But then, I try to see the easy way out...

Kathleen

gallery

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 233
ckquilter wrote
on 25 Jun 2011 6:47 PM

hi pat

do you want the quilt to be entirely flat, like a traditional quilt? or can the books be 3 dimensional?

if they can be dimensional - just make the books from fabric - and then attach to the quilt - possibly even after being quilted.

you could even use real leather, or ultrasuede for the book covers.

if it has to be flat, use your picture to make a pattern - it can be adjusted to any size you need.

are your "books" down the side all gonna go in the same direction?    or alternate                       or twist and turn?

either way, they can be pieced into the strip that will become the border.

why are you using books for the signatures? and how does that fit in with the landscape in the middle?   ckquilter

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
busybee1952 wrote
on 26 Jun 2011 6:23 AM

Hi CKquilter,

Thanks for the suggestion.  My only worry about getting too 3-d is that it might make the quilt hang funny and be too heavy on the borders.  The fabric I have that looks like leather is cotton.

This is a family tree quilt which will be displayed and auctioned at the reunion.  I would like to have all of the family members sign the quilt and thought the book idea would be great so that each of us would have our name in a "book" of the history of the family.  The landscape part in the center is a Scottish landscape scene with a large tree in the middle.  On the branches of the tree are printed appliques of oak leaves of each of the children and their spouses belonging to the original immigrant and his wife.  (They had 10 children)  Then, there are printed applique acorns with the names of each of the children (or grandchildren) of the progenitor.  (There are 64 in all)  It's a huge project and a whole lot of work but it will definitely be special!  There will be a "frame" around the landscape portion and the borders can be anywhere from 8" to 10" wide and will be about 90" long.  The top of the quilt will have a rod pocket for hanging or it could be used on a bed and will have the coat of arms and some map appliques that will be printed directly onto fabric.  The bottom portion will have a banner with the family name on it going across the length of the landscape portion and frame.  I will definitely upload some pictures of it soon.

Pat

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
busybee1952 wrote
on 26 Jun 2011 6:26 AM

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you for your suggestion.  I understand what you are suggesting here and may do exactly what you suggest as far as putting in a layer of thin batting for the dimensional effect.  I'm still experimenting.

Pat

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
busybee1952 wrote
on 26 Jun 2011 1:46 PM

This is the landscape portion of the quilt.  So far, I just have the leaves and acorns fused on and appliqueing them will take awhile.  The books will go on the long borders after I "frame" the landscape picture.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
d t wrote
on 1 Jul 2011 6:26 PM

Try the tumbling blocks pattern. Artful use of color and contrast will give you a book. Accent with ribbon for a "place marker" along center seam and maybe some zigzag stiches in a darker color, brown maybe, along the outer edge of the tumbling block will look like pages.

It would work well on the outer edge with a spacing block of color between each block.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
busybee1952 wrote
on 4 Aug 2011 2:03 PM

This is what I ended up with.

It doesn't really look like books on the border and I made a huge mistake and got the two borders switched around so the one on the left is open to the last page of the book and the one on the right is open to the first page.  I folded the muslin at the edges 3 times so it would look like pages and then used a permanent gold marker to color the edges.  I even tried using a little extra batting under the pages but it still didn't look like book pages.  Nevertheless, the proud new owners shown below made the high bid of $320.00 for the quilt which was auctioned at the Taylor Family Reunion in Derry, New Hampshire, on July 30, 2011.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS