Festival of quilts, UK

This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
Amandals wrote
on 26 Jul 2011 3:49 AM

Hi

Anyone going to/ been to the Festival of Quilts at the NEC in August?  Im hoping to go and just wondered what peoples experiences of it are?

Amanda

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Gillian82 wrote
on 27 Jul 2011 8:55 AM

Hi Amanda

I've been a couple of times and its amazing, there are quilts of every imaginable size and shape, and then there are the sellers stalls. There are hundreds of quilts to be inspired by, a little camera is very handy if you want to remember details. The hall is very large but fills quite quickly and can get quite hot and busy. There is seating and a cafe but there can be long queues just to get a seat at normal meal times so I take a packed lunch and prepare to sit on the floor!

You can pick up some real bargains. The first time I went I think I got a bit overwhelmed and panic bought and ended up with alot of random fat quarters many of which are still sat in my stash. The second time I was a bit more prepared, I had a spending limit and didn't take any cards with me and I have used most of the fabric I bought then. They also have very good deals on equipment like sewing machines, rulers, cutting mats, books and there are usually lots of demos going on at the stalls to watch or ones run by the organisers that you can book yourself on through their website.

It's a long day if you go round everything so if your traveling a long way I'd recommend a coach trip (usually a local quilt shop will be running one) as parking is not cheap (£8approx), neither is petrol, and the coach drops you off at the doors and collects you all again at the end and you can take to fellow quilters and play with what you bought on the way home.

Gillian :-)

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS