Inspired to Quilt

This post has 14 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 78
on 28 Apr 2009 9:29 AM

I can't wait until Melanie Testa's book comes out...May 1-woot! Her work is gorgeous. I am going to buy some beautiful beads in her honor!

Art. Just Do It.

Blog: ephemeralalchemy.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 218
MellyT wrote
on 30 Apr 2009 3:06 AM

In size 13 or 15? Devil Grin.

Author: Inspired to Quilt
Melanie Testa<--my art
Go play in your studio!!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 78
on 30 Apr 2009 12:03 PM

Whichever size I can thread a needle for. I swear I have to hire someone to follow me around and thread my needles or else get some new eyeballs! Do you have a favorite website for buying pretty glass beads? Yours seem nicer than mine, lol. P.S. Love the Bohn needles.

Art. Just Do It.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 218
MellyT wrote
on 30 Apr 2009 12:32 PM

I love Cartwright for sequins: http://www.ccartwright.com/

and M and J Trim for beads, though I am not sure they sell the beads online. I like to but on hank and they have them: http://www.mjtrim.com/

Though beads I also just collect as I go.

Lucky I can see up close, though not so well far away!

Melanie Testa<--my art

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 218
MellyT wrote
on 30 Apr 2009 12:33 PM

I love supply envy!! Cracks me up.

Melanie Testa<--my art

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,413
Pokey wrote
on 2 May 2009 5:20 PM

Yo Mells,

Can you explain a little bit about the video prompts here and how they work? I think people would be eager to hear about them.

Everyone: I have to say Melanie (ake Mells, Melly) is my idol. I want to create art like her when I grow up! (And I also want to go with her to her parents' house in CT for dinner. I keep waiting for the invite...ahem...) 

Melly and I goofing around on the QA set in February:

Pokey Bolton

Founder of Quilting Arts Magazine

TV Host, Quilting Arts on PBS

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 218
MellyT wrote
on 2 May 2009 7:02 PM

Hi Pokey and all.

I have been bragging to my folks about the gourmet supplies I can get my hands on... like gaalick.    Soon!

Sure!

The Inspired to Quilt Video Prompts are short video clips that will suggest inspiration, approach and fun ways to get into and understanding the techniques outlined in my book. We will explore fabric making techniques like stamp making, monoprinting and resists (just to name a few) and I will challenge you to complete an exercise or idea at the end of each video. I'll ask you to explore fun and approachable drawing techniques and to play with ideas and keep record of your progress.

Before Long Beach, I would like to do an ATC challenge (and I will be giving away a few of my own ATC's at the show, wanna join me?), we will also make 4x6 sized art (should we mail them to one another?), and just learn to relax and play and express ourselves.

Here is the introduction to the videos:

So: 

Get the book

Play art (you can run with scissors if you want to!--just wear protective garments and know your studio safety rules!) :)

Upload your work to this site with the tags: Inspired to Quilt, Video Prompt <--- That way we will be able to view them all on a single page.

I am pretty excited about this and if I am not breaking any rules, I may cross post this to the surface design forum.

MellyMells 

Melanie Testa<--my art

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 218
MellyT wrote
on 3 May 2009 6:48 AM

I forgot to add that I also have an author's blog right on this web site

Melanie Testa<--my art

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 28
Karoda wrote
on 3 May 2009 3:11 PM

I just ordered this book!  And will be looking forward to it Mel...congrats!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 218
MellyT wrote
on 3 May 2009 6:32 PM

I am glad Karoda, I am glad to see you here!

Melly

Melanie Testa<--my art

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
pandabolt wrote
on 3 May 2009 7:18 PM

I sure do think it would be fun to play with you, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how the "plugins " works.  I keep getting a prompt to manually load, which I try to do, but I still don't get anything except that same prompt over and over.  Sigh.    Don't you just love technically challanged individuals?  :)

Peggy Holt

Missoula, Montana

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 218
MellyT wrote
on 4 May 2009 3:36 AM

Can you please describe exactly what is happening and perhaps we can help you figure it out?

Melanie Testa<--my art

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Holly H. wrote
on 4 May 2009 4:50 AM

Kelli Nina Perkins:
 I swear I have to hire someone to follow me around and thread my needles or else get some new eyeballs!

Oh Kelli, I can send you some "eyeballs"! They are on the list of my favorite things.  Mells already put in a request.  If you would like some too, they're on their way!

(Cackle, Cackle, Cackle)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
pandabolt wrote
on 4 May 2009 9:32 AM

Melanie, thank you for your offer.  I was going to take you up on it, and as I was going through the steps to explain it, I read the fine print and saw that I needed to close all other windows in order to intall the plugin. 

That worked.  It made me rather nervous as there is a warning that plugins may contain viruses, but I am trusting that the Adobe flash player is not infected!  Yikes.

At any rate, it worked so I am now even a bit more "techy".  That's a scary thought.  I'm too old for this LOL.

Peggy Holt

Missoula, Montana

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 78
on 4 May 2009 12:14 PM

Yes, as a fellow halloween addict, I'm sure they ARE one of your favorite things, lol!

Art. Just Do It.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS