Boats on the Riachuelo

This post has 13 Replies | 6 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
on 26 Aug 2011 7:40 PM

Hi! Regards from Argentina. How have you been? Today I submitted an art quilt based on a painting by a selfmade painter from the beginning of the XX Century, Don Quinquela Martin. The textile exhibition will open on September 2. We had to choose  an artist to recreate it. (correct my English if I make mistakes). I like the embroidery but I have to confess that I had trouble when I started the border. My sewing machine was not at its best that day.

Well, hope to listen from you.

All the best. Pat

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
RUEdOAK wrote
on 17 Sep 2011 11:55 PM

Hi Pat,

I like the way the boats are unified into one form. Does this composition come from the original painting?

Your shadows in the water work really well, and I like the choice of brown for the outlining and some of the shadow. The brown gives a good sense of dimension.

Jen

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
on 25 Sep 2011 8:49 AM

Hi! Jen.  Sorry for the delay, I hadn't noticed there was a reply to my post.

Well, yes, the quilt comes from the original The colors I used are alike. The shadows in the water, well... I started playing with my sewing machine while looking at the original painting. The choice of brown was to avoid the usual black. I thought brown was softer and the boats were going to stand out.

(my English is not good enough, sorry, I lack some art vocabulary)

Thank you for you comments.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 235
on 27 Sep 2011 10:20 AM

I just wanted to chime in, say welcome, and tell you that I like the way you handled the design on this art quilt. It turned out beautifully.

If you are interested in posting more art quilts, I welcome you to also consider our reader gallery. The readers and editors at Quilting Arts both look through the gallery and you can upload as many images as you like:

Gallery

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
on 27 Sep 2011 7:09 PM

Hi, Ellen

thank you for the invitation and suggestion. And thank you for your comments.

I haven't got any more finished quilts, but I will upload one as soon as I can.

Best regards,

Pat

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 24 Oct 2011 1:23 PM

I love it!  Using a black border helpedkeep the eyes attention on the central piece.  What did you use to stabilize the back.  I've had problems with puckering, and I didn't notice any on yours.  It's very nice.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 429
on 25 Oct 2011 10:44 AM

What a beautiful piece - thanks so much for sharing! :)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
on 25 Oct 2011 6:18 PM

Hi, I am amazed by the comments!

The border is brown. Maybe the picture is not good enough and you couldn't realize.

I started by cutting pieces of fabric to have the boats in place, then I sewed them onto the fabric resembling the water. then I took some calico and used it as stabilizer. I did the machine embroidery.  The batting came next when I started the border. The quilting was done only on the border.

I had the quilt back last week because it was on exhibition for a month. I want to undo the border to do it well. There are lots of mistakes.

I learn when I make mistakes.

Thank you again for reading and looking at my work.

best regards, pat

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
on 25 Oct 2011 6:20 PM

Thank you.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 10
sewinggeek wrote
on 1 Nov 2011 7:44 AM

Just saw your piece and I really like it. It reminds me of some medieval tapestries a friend has hanging in her house. I like the way the colours flow into each other and I can picture the scene. It is true that we learn by doing. I think that it is great to always challenge one self and use our sewing and art as a journey. Life would be dull if we did not learn from it!

How did the exhibition go? 

thanks for sharing.

Jo

PS Your english is very good. No need to apologize for it. Especially when I can not speak, read or write in another language.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
on 1 Nov 2011 7:43 PM

Thank you very much, Sewinggeek.

The exhibition was ok, you already know my feelings since I didn't like the border. When I arrived at the gallery and saw my work I felt ashamed. The other works were better. I will do the border again and only then I will feel contented.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 888
Muppin wrote
on 2 Nov 2011 11:42 AM

Pat-

There's nothing to be ashamed over!  Your piece is lovely and I am certain other artists looked at their work next to yours and thought your same thoughts.  I know I do when my work is hanging and after talking to other artists, it's a common thought!

You did a great job!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 219
ckquilter wrote
on 5 Nov 2011 12:49 AM

hi pat

i want to commend you for taking the time to really look and analyse your work. when we are not quite content with a project, because it is not perfect (and they never are !), it gives us the chance to learn and improve.    

i also do not care for the thick, dark border. the center of the piece has so much color and detail and interest, and then there is this border slapped on, too thick, too dark, with no relation to the wonderful, detailed work done in the center.

try and figure out a border that enhances and continues the theme of the center.  it should finish the center - not start something new. and it should relate to the center - unlike the current border.    if you wanted to keep the border simple - how about a fabric that looks like wood (driftwood?)   as a frame - and maybe add some dimension with beach findings?  some possibilities - piece of fish net, fish hook (careful of sharp points though), weights or bobbers, shells, small pieces of driftwood (or how about a driftwood hanger?), sand, dried seaweed, buttons with a sea or fishing or sea gull theme.

if the border wants to not be dimensional, but still have more interest, how about some small, pieced blocks with a fishy theme? maybe storm at sea, or some other traditional block with an appropriate name.  you will want to keep the blocks small, so they fit the size of the center, without overpowering it.

i don't think you should be ashamed of the center. i do think you need to rethink the border - it looks like it was just thrown on, with no thought, totally unlike  and not in keeping with the good stuff in the middle.          ckquilter

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
on 5 Nov 2011 8:33 AM

Hi, ckquilter

I love the centre, the border was the part I didn't like.

You comments have opend a number of possibilities to me. Thank you! I hadn't notice I could try that. I bought fabrics through the mail at one of the most traditional shops in USA and I'm going to see what I can do. I also have shells at home from past holidays by the sea. Little shells that can do well on the new border.

Thank you. It was a good idea to join this place. I can learn a lot from pleople like you.

My best regards, ck

pat

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS