Forum Challenge - A Quilt From Your Altered Fabric!

This post has 32 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 895
Muppin wrote
on 1 Sep 2011 8:24 AM

Hi everyone!  I'm organizing another forum wide "challenge" very similar to the reader challenges in QA magazine. This is to get our creativity ramped up, our brains working on ideas for future projects, our machines revved up and working, and much more.  I'm hoping to host these once a month, so feel free to use the "conversations" link in the upper right to suggest future themes and topics for us to use on future challenges!

This month's challenge theme is : A quilt from your own altered fabric!

The latest issue of Quilting Arts has some amazing surface design projects in it.  (Lots of the back issues do too!)  Our challenge this month is to post a picture of your very own piece of altered fabric, and then to make a quilt from it!
I'm sure lots of us have tried a fabric altering technique, from stamping, batiking, bleaching, screenprinting, etc!  Now is the time to get that altered fabric out and take a picture, then make a quilt out of it and post the results here.  Use a little, or a lot, but we need to be able to see the altered fabric in the quilt.
Don't have any altered fabric?  Now's the time to make some!  Get the latest issue of QA, or bring out your back issues, and start on something great!  Did you see that QA is having an altered fabric SWAP in this issue?  You can practice!  For this challenge, your altered fabric doesn't have to be very big, so try it out on a 8 x 8 inch square to get your feet (hands?) wet.

I can't wait to see what you all come up with!

Here are some guidelines, but remember, this is all for fun.

1. Your work should post a picture of your altered fabric, and a quilt that you made from this fabric.  Altered fabric should include some sort of surface design.  Hand dyed fabric can be submitted if it's further altered using a surface design technique. Please submit only new work made for this challenge.

2. It can be any size.

3. To participate in the challenge online, post a picture of your altered fabric piece and one picture of your FINISHED project and put it in this thread by posting a reply here (hit the reply button and post your message and attach your picture) or post your BEFORE and FINISHED project picture in the QA gallery and post a link to it on this thread.  This is so we can all see it.  The piece must be quilted, have 3 layers, and a binding or edging of some sort to be finished.

4. In your message, write a little about how you came up with your design or what you were thinking about while you made it.  We love to hear about the process!

5. The entries for this themed challenge ends on September 30th.

6.  We will have prizes again, and the winner will be chosen randomly from the members who post their completed work on this thread by the deadline.  This challenge's prize is a copy of Leslie Tucker Jenison's fabulous DVD "DIY Surface Design: Printmaking Made Easy With Everyday Objects"!!!  Many thanks to Quilting Arts and Interweave for supporting us with these prizes!

7.  Please make a new piece for this challenge.  Please do not post photos of an older project.  This is all about stretching yourself and getting your creativity ramped up.  If you are stumped on this subject, post your ideas and we will try to help you!  This is what this forum is all about. We are here to help you!  Plus, we love your in progress photos!

8. Have FUN!!!!

If you have any questions about our challenge, post them here and I will be happy to answer them. I hope you have fun.   Let's create some quilt art!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 166
on 5 Sep 2011 1:06 PM

This is great.  Stan picked up that issue and flipped through it and said, "Did they publish this issue just for you?"

Kathleen

gallery

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 7 Sep 2011 7:42 AM

This is perfect...I've had this idea brewing for several weeks.  Now I have an excuse to try it out.  This fabric was made this summer.  The blues were dyed, the other was rusted.  I will attempt to put at least 2 of these to use.  I have to use the rusted fabric.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
RUEdOAK wrote
on 20 Sep 2011 12:53 AM

Here is my "Altered State" for the challenge! The finished piece is 9" square. The original fabric is an upholstery sample my mom scavenged heaven knows where. :-) A bit of soaking took the paper backing off, and off I went.

Using a plastic loop paint roller, I masked one circle and printed on a blue speckled layer, then followed with a lid dipped in black. In addition to a layer batting, I raised some of the quilted sections with additional batting aka trapunto. These are a bit hard to see in a photo, but they really stand out in real life. From there is bead, button, and embroidery thread embellishment. The buttons are wonderful old ones from my great-grandmother's button box; they are wooden, once painted (a trace remains) mounted in now tarnished gold-tone metal teeth.

Comments and critique is very much welcome!

Jen

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
Amandals wrote
on 20 Sep 2011 2:12 AM

Wow Jen I love this- its great how you've tranformed a rather boring upholstery sample into this piece.  I like that the piece is so changed from the original but without overworking it- the quality of your mark making on the fabric through print and stitch is obviously very high and you knew when to stop which I think is the key to a good piece!

Good luck- hope you win the challenge

Amanda

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 275
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 21 Sep 2011 8:43 AM

Jen - you certainly turned something quite plain (and ugly ...) into something lovely!

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 895
Muppin wrote
on 21 Sep 2011 10:28 AM

Jen-

It's wonderful!  Thanks for playing!

We have about a week left for our challenge!  I hope you will consider playing along!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
RUEdOAK wrote
on 21 Sep 2011 10:36 AM

Thank you all for the kind comments. Yes, I had fun doing this one. I had just snagged the roller from a friend (done with a house painting project) when I read the challenge. Bingo. And it seemed far more interesting to use the print pattern on something other than a solid fabric.

I look forward to seeing what others contribute!

Jen

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 25 Sep 2011 9:34 AM

OK  I am almost finished.  I need to finish the quilting and that will be it. ;)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 27 Sep 2011 8:31 AM

Here it is.  The blue was hand dyed by me ;)  The border was rusted by me.  Those were the altered fabrics.  The fish is a collage.  The whole thing is free motioned quilted.  It's extremely wavy:(  But my machine hated the rusted fabric, no binding.  It's a tribute to my grandfather who loved to fish.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 895
Muppin wrote
on 27 Sep 2011 8:48 AM

Caren-

It's great!  Thanks for entering!

We have a couple of days left for this challenge!  :)  Hope you will join us!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
RUEdOAK wrote
on 27 Sep 2011 11:45 PM

Fabulous to see your altered fabric, Caren. The rusted fabric is lovely. So your machine didn't like it, eh? What got you thinking about the fishing theme?

Jen

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
on 28 Sep 2011 7:26 AM

Late! I have just read about this challange. Pity! Let's wait until next. :)

pat

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 28 Sep 2011 11:08 AM

My grandfather loved to fish.  It's a tribute to him.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
RUEdOAK wrote
on 28 Sep 2011 4:19 PM

So I was just curious.... did the fabric you had dyed / rusted inspire the water / fish? A project you already had in mind with thoughts to your grandfather. I am just always interested in what goes through the creative mind...and where we each land!

Jen

Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS