Welcome to the Studios Forum

This post has 22 Replies | 10 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
paws3 wrote
on 24 Jun 2009 7:43 PM

I agree with you.  My grandmother used one of their spare bedrooms as a sewing room Monday through Saturday, but on Sunday there was no evidence of the previous six days.  On the other hand, my aunt, who is an artist,  had a studio built onto her house and any day of the week including Sunday, after church,  she can pick up where she left off.  While it is my deepest desire to have a studio that I can leave cluttered, the reality is I have a small home and have to use my dining room table and clean up immediatey, which actually interrupts my creativity.  There is no doubt in my mind this scenario is more the norm than the completely uncluttered work space.  While everyone creates in different environments, it would behoove them to show cluttered spaces as well, and when you think about it, clutter is a relative term.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 115
smidgen wrote
on 29 Jun 2009 10:19 AM

I like to have some visual clutter for the shear joy of seeing where I am going with thoughts and ideas since most of the time I am doing multiple projects at once. My ideas come to me in flashes of energy (I think is because I drink a good deal of coffee) and I try to jot them down or work them out in samples. This makes for messes sometimes and that is hard to keep under control. I do my best but... sometimes I am not as organized as I would like to be? I do try to keep my areas in craft "stations" so that I am able to think in one medium at a time. This works very well for me since I can find things much easier than if it is mumbled together. I would like to be able to get more of my supplies made into something because I am tired of it all being in my space, I would rather have it spread out all over to whoever wants to buy it so I can share the love with all. Maybe someday?

Never Stop Creating

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Shebikes2 wrote
on 6 Jul 2009 12:18 PM

Thanks for a great opportunity to see other's workspaces.  We moved 8 months ago and i have been collecting the Studios issues in anticipation of setting up my new space.  I've got more floor  and less closet space than i had before.  The Studios issues have offered a lot of great suggestions and things to consider when setting up my space.   I'm not there yet, but it's coming along.

I really enjoy looking at the floorplans and organized "dream" studios.  Usually, I am looking for the work flow of a room - just like kitchen planners use the work triangle to set up a kitchen workspace.  Of course, my studio gets that "lived in" look, but I find that I prefer to enter an organized, cleared room.  Visual clutter confuses me and makes it difficult for me to work in an area.  

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 65
Cate Prato wrote
on 22 Jan 2010 8:18 AM

Hi,

I'm chiming in again on this thread as I do appreciate the feedback. "Clutter" is indeed a relative term. Me? I like a lot of visual enticement and do just fine by clearing a space for the process at hand. My husband, who draws, must have everything just so before he begins.

However, the main reason we show primarily "neat and tidy" studios in Studios is two-fold:

1. When you photograph a room, if there is a lot of clutter (papers strewn about, books piled haphazardly), it is very difficult to focus on the bigger picture, e.g. furniture, organization tools, even the artwork and artist. So we do ask people to tidy up a little.

2. Most of the artists INSIST on cleaning up their studios so that they are fit for "company," the way most people would when entertaining at their home. So, yes, you can assume that if there is a picture-perfect studio it rarely actually looks like that.

3. Some people actually do clean up regularly and prefer a streamlined environment in which to work.

However, in response to a call for more "real" studios, we are asking artists to feel free to submit images where there is work in progress so readers can see working studios. In the Spring 2010 issue, you can look forward to seeing more "real" studios. And please, everyone,  DO submit your studio for consideration. We want to see them all!

Cate Prato
Studios Editor
cprato@interweave.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 23 Jan 2010 6:36 AM

Since I am a full-time teacher and I have no official art space, I have claimed my second story loft as my own. I have even commandered a walk-in closet. I have bookshelves and odd storage all over the loft for all my art and fabric supplies.  It is pretty neat most of the time.  I know where everything is by material.  My family knows when I am working on something because there is red rosin paper all over the floor for drying and different piles for various projects sectioned off by colors.  Once the project is over, it is all put away.  That is how I work. I have to see everything out and visualize it to be able to flow. I cannot stop and keep getting things out. Once I get going, nothing gets in my way until I am done. Only hunger and a soccer game will stop the creative process.  My fingers and clothes are covered in whatever medium I am using. 

However, whenever when people come over or if I am taking picts for an article, I do clean up because I want to appear tidy. Don't we all?  Cate, maybe, we should have some "Before" and "After" pictures.

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Not Ranked
Posts 6
amclarin wrote
on 4 Jun 2010 2:58 PM

Hi Cate et al,

I love Studios Magazine. I think that I have every issue. As a beginning dyer, it would help me tremendously to see how someone who has been at it a while organizes their chemicals, work flow, etc.

On another note, have you considered including Sandy Webster of Brasstown, NC. She does amazing work, particular in book forms. I've taken two classes from her and am constantly amazed at her energy and enthusiasm.

Anita

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 65
Cate Prato wrote
on 8 Jun 2010 12:42 PM

Hi Anita,

Thanks for the compliment.

We have had several dyers in Studios, notably Melanie Testa in the Spring 2009 issue and Rayna Gillman in the Fall 2008 issue. But I like the idea of a how-to-set-up-a-dye-studio article. We'll put that on the list for an upcoming issue. I think a lot of people would find it useful. And thanks for the tip on Sandy, too. Her work is wonderful!

Cate

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
ElenaRadock wrote
on 24 Jun 2010 9:42 AM

Hello, I am new to this forum and I hope I am posting correctly.

I have a space issue and I am hoping that someone may have some good tips.  My "studio" is a 4 ft space behind the couch in the family room. I have table to work on and a cupboard to store my fabric and materials.  Does anyone have innovative ideas for working in such a small space?  It is really a challenge!

Tahnks you, Elena

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS