Forum Challenge- A Design out of Stitches!

This post has 11 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 7 Oct 2011 7:25 AM

Hi everyone!  I'm organizing another forum wide "challenge" very similar to the reader challenges in QA magazine. This is to get our creativity ramped up, our brains working on ideas for future projects, our machines revved up and working, and much more.  I'm hoping to host these once a month, so feel free to use the "conversations" link in the upper right to suggest future themes and topics for us to use on future challenges!

This month's challenge theme is : A design made out of stitches!

This challenge is to make a design on the surface of your quilt entirely out of stitches.  That means NO applique, and NO piecing!  You may paint or embellish your designs to enhance your stitching.  Make your wholecloth piece and join us!

I can't wait to see what you all come up with!

Here are some guidelines, but remember, this is all for fun.

1. You should post a picture of your FINISHED quilt that uses stitching to create the design.  Please submit only new work made for this challenge.

2. It can be any size.

3. To participate in the challenge online, post a picture of your FINISHED project and put it in this thread by posting a reply here (hit the reply button and post your message and attach your picture) or post your project picture in the QA gallery and post a link to it on this thread.  This is so we can all see it.  The piece must be quilted, have 3 layers, and a binding or edging of some sort to be finished.

4. In your message, write a little about how you came up with your design or what you were thinking about while you made it.  We love to hear about the process!

5. The entries for this themed challenge ends on November 1st.

6.  We will have prizes again, and the winner will be chosen randomly from the members who post their completed work on this thread by the deadline.  Many thanks to Quilting Arts and Interweave for supporting us with these prizes!

7.  Please make a new piece for this challenge.  Please do not post photos of an older project.  This is all about stretching yourself and getting your creativity ramped up.  If you are stumped on this subject, post your ideas and we will try to help you!  This is what this forum is all about. We are here to help you!  Plus, we love your in progress photos!

8. Have FUN!!!!

If you have any questions about our challenge, post them here and I will be happy to answer them. I hope you have fun.   Let's create some quilt art!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 7 Oct 2011 8:21 AM

Oh how cool!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 49
on 7 Oct 2011 12:24 PM

OK. Let's start, then!

Thank you Cheryl

Pat

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 97
RUEdOAK wrote
on 22 Oct 2011 7:01 PM

Well Cheryl, when I saw this announcement I thought, oh gads, JUST stitches? But the good thing about challenges is that they do indeed, well, um, challenge one. So I actually have a sketch. BUT I am so deep in a big, time dated project (a massive stage "installation") that I am not sure if I can make it by the end of the month!!!

Jen

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 78
DinahT wrote
on 1 Nov 2011 10:56 AM

Here is my piece for this challenge. It is part of a color challenge for my local quilt guild (Pecos Valley Quilters, Roswell, NM) The design was giving to us and the piece was to be done in monocromatica.

This is basically thread sketched, with some of the stitching before sandwiching and some later. The only thing used besides the thread was a marker for a couple of small twigs.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 1 Nov 2011 12:58 PM

DinahT, thanks for entering !

We are still taking entrants until the end of the day today!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 1 Nov 2011 1:32 PM

DinahT: I love you entry, esp. that you used red!

Here is my October entry:  Mr.  Pumpkin

It was made for my children, they were distraught at not having a Halloween Quilt!  This is a very small piece.  The pumpkin was thread painted onto the background and then sandwiched and quilted..  The bat was thread sketched last.  There is a little yellow paint added to the center of the pumpkins eyes, but when that didn't show up well I outllined in glow-in-the-dark thread.  Then I cut the whole thing out wonky and zigzagged the edges.  I'm actually hoping for a little unravelling on the edges.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 97
RUEdOAK wrote
on 2 Nov 2011 2:41 AM

Working only with stitch is not my usual, so I had fun thinking about this one. However, I have NOT gotten it done due to a very demanding project I am working on. But I thought I would share my sketches just the same...not qualifying for the draw, of course.

I am working on a fiber / mixed media series called Slow Food. So I thought I could use this challenge to create an element for it. I saw something by Linda Kittner in the recent QA issue, which sparked my thinking. All the little circles will be free motion quilting. The large outlines will be by hand. The color I want to do via dropping dye onto a wet fabric such as muslin, Aida or monks cloth. Or maybe use watercolor color crayon. Perhaps you can read my scritchy notes!

Jen

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 2 Nov 2011 11:43 AM

Jen, Thanks for showing us your process!

Caren, thanks so much for participating. 

I'll be holding the drawing shortly!

Thanks,

Cheryl

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 2 Nov 2011 8:59 PM

We had 2 entrants for our contest this month:

1. DinahT

2. Caren12

And the winner is:

DINAHT!!!

Congratulations and please use the upper right hand corner "Conversations" to send me your mailing address so we can send you your prize!

We'll have another challenge up a week from today that will run through the entire holiday season, but please be sure to tell me any themes you'd like to see us do! 

Thanks!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 78
DinahT wrote
on 3 Nov 2011 2:21 PM

Thanks for starting these challenges. they are a lot of fun.

My contact info on it's way.

Thanks to everyone.

DinahT

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 9 Nov 2011 4:37 PM

Congrats to Dinah!  Way to go.

I agree, these are fun.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS