Indian girl

This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
CLBL wrote
on 8 Dec 2011 11:37 AM

This is an art quilt I'm working on. What should I do on the bottom? Have the figure's chest just run off the bottom of the quilt or frame the bottom with lighter fabric placed vertical as opposed to the top which is horizontal? Would love some in put!!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 228
ckquilter wrote
on 9 Dec 2011 11:08 PM

hi clbl

i would keep the bottom dark. you currently have a nice gradient of value from top to bottom. 

if you added the light values to the bottom - it would be distracting. part of why the quilt is so effective right now, is that her face is light, and surrounded by the darker values - making it glow, and making it a strong focal point.     if you added another light area - such as a light area at the bottom - it will compete for the viewer's interest - and/or make their eyes bounce back and forth between the light areas.  if that is what you want - then you should add the light to the bottom. but i think it would be very distracting, and decrease the effectiveness of the current composition.

also consider - the light value in her hand makes it compete with the face as a focal point.  instead of having the same range of values for both the hand and face; start the hand with the second lightest value (or even third), so it is just a bit darker than the face - and then it won't outcompete the face as a focal point.

even though your light area in the sky gets almost as light as her face, because the sky stays lighter around that light spot, there is not as much contrast there, and so it draws your eye less; and does not outcompete the face for attention.   so it is effective just the way it is.

ckquilter

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS