digital fabric printing

This post has 4 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Debbishop wrote
on 6 Mar 2012 6:01 PM

I just bought the kalidiscope software and have come up with some beautiful designs but found that my printer doesn't print on fabric very well.  Can anybody tell me what printers you use that have been sucessful?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 468
okieLinda wrote
on 7 Mar 2012 12:13 PM

Im a kalidescope nut and I havent found anything out there that really works, Ive been looking into spoonflower lately , good luck Linda

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 20 Mar 2012 8:27 AM

I have had fabric printed at spoonflower. They do a wonderful job. The only issue you might face, is that the colors on your screen are differant than what is printed. It is a good idea to invest in one of their color charts, so you will know what to expect when you receive your fabrics. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 231
ckquilter wrote
on 24 Mar 2012 12:12 AM

hi debbie

i havea fairly old printer - 8 or 9 years by now - but i still like what it does.

it is an epson - and you need to use the right ink to get good results. my epson durabright works well .

you can visit the websites and find out about the different inks/toners available.  they will also give info on lightfastness.

this picture is printed on printed treasures cotton - the blue frame was added with software , around the original photo, and then printed as one onto the fabric. so the blue border is also printed on the computer.

this was a twin size quilt for my brother to use at the fire station. the photos on the quilt are 8 inches square. most were printed on printed treasures cotton - a few were printed on june tailor cotton (which is why i know i don't like it and won't use it anymore. but they were out of printed treasures, and i was under a deadline, so tried the other.)

the durabright ink is very expensive - so i am careful with what i print.

i use the model cx7800. the paper (fabric) sits in back and feeds through flat to the front. i have never had it jam.

i mostly print photos onto fabric - both regular colors and sepia tone.                i have used several types of fabric , but so far have used just the ones that are already adhered to freezer paper. they are definitely NOT equal.  i have used several cottons and silk. i have not printed on extravorganza yet.      i like th results on the silk i use (dharma). i alsohave a cotton i prefer - printed treasures. i don't like june tailor - the fabric is very stiff and upleasant feeling.

a friend used one that requires soaking after printing (sorry i don't remember the brand) - and it came out pretty bad.                                                                  another tip - do not pull the paper away from the fabric with brute strength. instead, i heat set the ink with my iron , and while still warm, the paper will peel off with no pulling on the fabric.      i always heat set on a clean scrap of muslin - and while i don't wash the pictures before sewing them into the quilt, i have never had the ink run onto the muslin, even when wet.

i also have only done the 8 1/2 by 11 sheets so far. so if you are wanting to do the continuous feed - i don't have experience with that. but the way this printer feeds - i don't think it would be much of a problem. be careful of the printers that loop the paper/fabric around - you will have more problems with them.

i added the pictures above so you could get a feel for end results. remember to start with the highest resolution possible on your picture. you will lose  bit printing onto fabric - even the highest thread count ones.

even though the ink is expensive, if i was to buy a new printer, planning to use it for printing on fabric, i would buy this set up again. i have not seen any pictures printed on fabric that were better than what i am printing on my epson.

but i might buy a second printer, that uses cheap ink, for printing on paper(letters, plane tickets, email readouts.....)

hope that helps.                    ckquilter

Not Ranked
Posts 3
samandrew wrote
on 17 May 2014 3:41 AM

Kalidiscope software is good for creating effects by using images. The digital textile printer is best to print on the fabric. There are many brands available in market like Kornit , digitech , which provides better quality and print on multiple fabrics. So, a digital textile printer will best for you.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS