This, here!

This post has 28 Replies | 9 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
pandabolt wrote
on 5 May 2009 1:56 PM

Hmmm....Melanie.  I'll just send you a trash bag.  When it's full, you can send it back to me.  LOL

Peggy Holt

Missoula, Montana

Not Ranked
Posts 6
WedeWorks wrote
on 9 May 2009 1:25 PM

I'm definitely on the same scrap saving page as you Jody.  I find myself playing with the scraps more than digging into my well organized fabrics.  Maybe knowing if I mess up on scraps then it is really ready for the trash?  Ha!  Some of my best art work has been from salvaging unfinished projects and using things most people throw away.  I just made 40 note cards this month from scraps and have sold 10 of them!  Now I can buy more art supplies.  : )  My daughters, now in their 20's, treasure the art they've made from my scraps.  Good way to teach recycling and the joy of creating.  You go girl!  Judy

Keep going, success is often just around the corner. (The Power of Focus)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 9 May 2009 7:26 PM

I save all my scraps, even my finished pieces that I can't stand to look at. My devilish brain always whispers to me, "you never know what you can cut out of it to reuse one day!" My scrap stash is unruly and growing daily. :D

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
heatherrs wrote
on 12 May 2009 7:33 AM

Surface design is what drew me into quilt art - it is my passion 

But scraps - hah - I think I am a scrap snob - Ha ha - I have a clear bag - the kind bedding comes in - that scraps go in but not all scraps just those few I can't bear to part with 

Now what to do with all those scraps.... my "problem" is too many ideas :) 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 32
tiedyejudy wrote
on 18 May 2009 7:26 AM

I totally agree!  I just posted a picture in the photo gallery of a recycled art piece I made this year called 'Waterfall'.  In it, I used scraps of non-cotton fabric that have been in my stash for over 15 years!  Right now, I am working on a contract sewing project where I had to trim 1/2" strips off of some pieces, and they went right into a bag for future use.  Grandma got me hooked many years ago when she let me delve into her stash for fabrics I could use for doll clothes, and I never got over it! 

Judy Sall

www.tiedyejudy.blogspot.com

'Busy hands are happy hands... especially when fabric, dye, thread, beads, etc., are involved!' 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Krys2 wrote
on 18 May 2009 6:11 PM

Scraps make great surface design: my scraps are held in an old plexiglas tower about 5' tall of bins that originally held dog biscuits (got it at a garage sale one of my dumpster-diving neighbors was having) - nice flaps over the openings to hold all those little pieces. Where was I? Oh, surface design. Well, one of the bins has what I call "leftovers" - those pieces that are trimmed off of quilt tops, etc. if you're squaring up - and they're great to play with, too.  I started using them on the little "green quilt art" challenge and am still having fun with them. Krys

krys

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 18 May 2009 6:27 PM

I am beginning to do it more and more as I learn more about it.  The weather here is nasty in the winter.  I am more limited since i have children. I don't like to expose them to too many things and permanently stain my bathroom with too much stuff. Already did that once too often.  I do a lot of stuff outdoors while on summer vacation and stockpile it for the cold weather.  I combine commmercial and what I do.  I am leaning more towards what I do as I become more proficient.  Oh yeah, I have a tendency to take old clothes now and tear it apart for the sake of art instead of giving it away like I automatically used to do. I even have my kids trained to spot good stuff for me. They will take buttons off of clothing and metal off of everything for mommy. 

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 18 May 2009 6:30 PM

Maybe we should have a scrap swap

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 18 May 2009 8:22 PM

Belinda Spiwak:

Maybe we should have a scrap swap

I would totally be up for this. I've done it frequently with paper scraps and it's always a lot of fun.

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 19 May 2009 9:28 AM

I would be up for a scrap swap. How would this work? I have never been involved in a swap.

Jody

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 139
reginabdunn wrote
on 19 May 2009 4:08 PM

One of my students threw her backpack into the trash can in my classroom because it had a hole inside. I grabbed it and cut the zippers off (they are bright blue and will be good for something, I'm sure). There was an emblem "S" on it and one of my other students claimed that to use on a shirt. Another student claimed the small pockets and I cut those out for her. It was a good lesson for the kids to see how useful and fun "garbage" can be.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 166
on 3 Jul 2009 3:26 AM

1. surface design is what I do, and I've already gotten too many ideas from this forum.

2. scraps are where I live!  If any one does figure out a way to do a scrap exchange, I'm there.

Kathleen

gallery

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 156
Whidbey2 wrote
on 3 Jul 2009 7:30 AM

What an absolutely wonderful idea for kids.  Like a giant flannel board of old.  As a kid I would have loved that.  Yea! another reason to hord scraps.  I love it.

Whidbey

This was in response to the idea of giving kid scraps and a small design wall to play with.  By the time I got it posted the conversation had moved on to other things and it no longer made sence.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 5 Jul 2009 6:42 PM

Whidbey,

It really is amazing what the kids can create with random shapes.  My oldest (5 YEARS) had a flower garden with a sun and a little duck in a nest created within an hour. I tried to get her to save it but she wanted to move onto anotger design.

I am hoping to capture some of these creations before they tear them down and maybe make them into small fusible pieces of art for their room.

Jody

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS