Does anybody know?

This post has 2 Replies | 10 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Domani wrote
on 18 May 2012 2:56 PM

Does anybody know of the style of quilting where the blocks are stuffed as they are made.

There was this lady about 40 years ago that showed me a project she was working on making a quilt.  I grew up with quilters all around me but I had never seen anything like this before or since. 

she made both sides of the quilt block with one piece of fabric folded in a real interesting way and stuffed the block and then sewed the block to the last one.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 277
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 19 May 2012 10:05 AM

Hi, Domani - I think the technique you are looking for is called "quilt-as-you-go", where the quilt blocks are completed before being attached to the previous block.

I just did a google search and there's lots of youtube videos that might help you.

Happy quilting!



"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 247
ckquilter wrote
on 22 May 2012 5:54 PM

hi domani

the other response suggested a quilt as you go method. that is one possibility.

but you mention "stuffing" the blocks as opposed to batting. if stuffing - the one that comes to mind is a puff quilt (i think it might also be called a biscuit quilt?)

either way - the block is loosely stuffed with fiberfill, and a couple of tucks taken, and then the next puff/biscuit added. probably find the method in an older, traditional quilt making book, or one that covers lots of traditional methods.

if it is not a quilt as you go with batt, or a puff quilt with stuffing - i don't know any other methods that fit your description.    ckquilter

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS